PDA

View Full Version : Indy Fab Steel Fork opinions

Bstone
12-17-2015, 11:57 AM
Getting ready to order a steel Crown Jewel.

Does anybody have experience with the steel IF fork in a road application?

Already have carbon bikes/carbon forks in the stable.

This will be a bike for fun, not winning races or rides.

Please share all opinions.

Allez!

tuscanyswe
12-17-2015, 12:03 PM
I have had 2 crown jewels (or more) with steel fork. I also currenty have an IF cross with steel fork.

Very nice riding bikes with the steel fork! They are heavy tho, very much so if one is used to modern carbon forks.

Id order it with a 11/8 steerer tho so you always have the option of going for a carbon fork in the future, should you want to.

Bstone
12-17-2015, 12:20 PM
Thanks. Weight is not a factor on this bike.

The ride is the thing.

I've had light bikes. Light doesn't really impress me that much. Florida is flat as a tabletop. There are no climbs worthy of the name.

tuscanyswe
12-17-2015, 12:23 PM
I agree. Well then id get the steel fork. You won't be disappointed with the performance. They do ride very nice. The cj also look amazing imo when paired with the steel fork. Absolutely gorgeous bikes!

zzy
12-17-2015, 12:41 PM
I love the 1 1/8 steel fork on my CJ. I would recommend it as it gives the builder more variables to work with, assuming you know how much trail/rake you want. There are a number of options for the steel models, so if you have an idea of the geometry you want, you can also select the fork offset and the frame can be built around it. My build had a fair bit of rake to give plenty of room for big feet and tires without toeoverlap.

Peter P.
12-17-2015, 03:42 PM
For what it's worth, I had an IF fork on my Salsa Ala Carte MTB. Zero complaints. Wouldn't dare claim it was harsh or mushy.

I currently run a steel fork on my Soulcraft Royale (http://www.soulcraftbikes.com/frames.php?frame_id=6). Same thing.

I just read a thread on another forum where a cyclist who purchased a used bike with a carbon fork was worried about the durability of its construction. That's a theme I've read often enough about carbon forks; people question whether they get weaker with age. While steel forks CAN fail, they don't invoke anywhere near the concern that carbon forks do. I don't want a fork that makes me wonder.

So get the steel fork and be the only cool guy on the group ride.

p nut
12-17-2015, 03:57 PM
I've ridden on a lot of production steel forks (Salsa, Surly, Soma, etc.), and a custom is night/day difference. If you can afford it, I would seek out a custom frame builder for a fork. Cost should be $3-400.

tuscanyswe
12-17-2015, 04:00 PM
I've ridden on a lot of production steel forks (Salsa, Surly, Soma, etc.), and a custom is night/day difference. If you can afford it, I would seek out a custom frame builder for a fork. Cost should be $3-400.

Or included in the price of the frame in this case :)

palincss
12-17-2015, 04:55 PM

Isn't Independent Fabrications a custom frame builder?

palincss
12-17-2015, 04:57 PM
Or included in the price of the frame in this case :)

Yes, that is a strange thing. You'd think a frame and a fork go together, and would be all included in one price -- and often it is, but not always. Sometimes, "the frame is the frame" but the fork is just an aftermarket accessory, like a bell or a set of plastic fenders, priced separately. No idea whether that's the case with Indy Fab or not.

sw3759
12-17-2015, 05:00 PM
i'll agree with the others.i bought a used IF CJ with a 1 1/8 Reynolds fork and purchased a steel fork a little later.yeah it is a heavy compared the the carbon but you don't notice the weight difference at all after 1 or 2 rides.i've switched them out from time to time over the years but have stuck with the steel as my favorite of the 2.looks better too imo and both are painted to match the frame.
the a-c was 2-3mm more on the steel fork I bought from IF for some reason and had a local frame builder (David@ SW frameworks) mill 2mm off the crown seat to level the top tube.

zennmotion
12-17-2015, 05:24 PM
I think most would agree that for non-competitive riding, the weight difference equivalent of a can of Red Bull doesn't make a difference. You bought the IF because it's an IF. Go full monty and make the whole package an IF. The fact that you're even thinking about a carbon fork means you're worried about the weight. So just admit your issue and tell your inner weenie to listen to reason. I have an older Hampsten that I purchased used, but the guy included a new Carbon fork. Just didn't seem right, so I replaced it with a good production steel fork (A Ritchey Logic Road, a great fork but not even custom, but fit the specs perfectly). I love the combination, and a plus for easy fit 28c tires that would be a squeeze if possible at all with the carbon fork. So I have a d new carbon fork that sits on a shelf, Ebay someday.

c77barlage
12-17-2015, 06:20 PM
I have been riding a steel CJ with the IF fork for 7 years and still love it.

binouye
12-17-2015, 06:49 PM
As others said already the IF steel forks are very nice, and when custom painted to match your CJ frame looks good too. My IF CJ fork, with star nut and King base plate installed (and heavy paint color), weighed 617 grams when I built it up. So its 250 to 300 grams more than a high end carbon fork, not a huge penalty and in my opinion well worth it. But I confess my other road bike, which I ride more miles, has a carbon fork.

Bradford
12-17-2015, 07:58 PM
I had a steel CJ with a steel fork, and still have an IF Independence with a steel fork. I loved my CJ and won't give up the Independence unless it breaks.

Both great rides and I never thought twice about anything but the steel fork. And on both bikes, it does look right.

Bstone
12-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I was already biased towards the steel and this is tipping the balance.

FlashUNC
12-17-2015, 08:43 PM
Ever ridden a bike with a steel fork before? Nothing like it.

Keith A
12-17-2015, 08:47 PM
Bstone -- Thanks so much for posting this question. I have a steel CJ that I've been planning on building and I have the matching steel fork and an Reynolds Ouzo Pro for it. I have been debating which one to use :confused:

holliscx
12-18-2015, 07:22 AM
I've got a 1999 Somerville IF Crown Jewel (60cm) w steel fork that I'm looking to sell for $800. Fork is 1" and rides like a dream. Mike Flanigan welded and painted my frame originally; Tyler Evans also signed the warranty card. Frame resprayed iron ore metallic 3 years ago in Newmarket. They said my Crown J is an 11 on a scale from 1 to 10. DM if anyone's interested but you can't go wrong with a steel fork.

druptight
12-18-2015, 07:45 AM
Bstone -- Thanks so much for posting this question. I have a steel CJ that I've been planning on building and I have the matching steel fork and an Reynolds Ouzo Pro for it. I have been debating which one to use :confused:

Ride both and decide for yourself! In my opinion, and this might fly in the face of what people are saying here, but I have a frame I've ridden with both steel and full carbon and I don't honestly find them to feel that much different when riding, personally. This may not be a popular opinion. On the other hand, it LOOKS 100% better with the steel fork, so I ride it with the steel fork.

danielpack22@ma
12-18-2015, 07:57 AM
I've had a CJ for ~10 years. I opted for the steel fork when I had it built with the understanding that I could easily "upgrade" to a lightweight quality fork when I wanted to lighten the bike. After riding it for a few years, I decided to make the move and purchased a Reynolds Ouzo Pro (which I already had experience with on another bike).

With all other aspects of the bike the same, I found the Ouzo Pro to be a real disappointment. The carbon was much stiffer - every bump in the road jarred my teeth and the bike no longer railed around the turns. After a few months, I went back to the old "heavy" steel fork and have been much happier.

I asked IF to build me another CJ (this time stainless and single speed) a couple of years ago. This time I asked Nao Tomii (http://www.tomiicycles.com/) to build the fork.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3729/11176674514_601e843421.jpg

I've been very happy with this setup.

chiasticon
12-18-2015, 08:39 AM
I don't have a steel IF (I do have a Ti one though!) but I have owned steel bikes with steel forks before. the only thing that happened when I swapped to a lighter bike/fork is that the ride was lighter and harsher and when I encountered hills on the first couple rides, I kept wanting to pop wheelies.

my vote is to get the matching fork now. you can always swap to a carbon one for a few hundred bucks later if you feel like it. and then, more than likely, swap back.

doomridesout
12-18-2015, 10:12 AM
I had a steel CJ with steel fork. The bike built up to 17.5 #s with 32-spoke clinchers, DA7800, and no particularly trick parts. IF steel forks are pretty light, and it rode freaking great. I'm sad I sold that bike.

Mark McM
12-18-2015, 10:23 AM

What's the difference between a production steel fork and a custom steel fork? Do they not use the same raw components (blades, steerers) from the same steel tubing manufacturers?

Mark McM
12-18-2015, 10:55 AM
I don't have a steel IF (I do have a Ti one though!) but I have owned steel bikes with steel forks before. the only thing that happened when I swapped to a lighter bike/fork is that the ride was lighter and harsher and when I encountered hills on the first couple rides, I kept wanting to pop wheelies.

Really? What's the difference in weight between forks, maybe 1 lb? And that's enough to keep your front wheel planted on the ground? A pair of water bottles weighs about 3 lbs, does the presence of a pair of water bottles also affect you're bike's tendency to pop wheelies?

chiasticon
12-18-2015, 11:14 AM
Really? What's the difference in weight between forks, maybe 1 lb? And that's enough to keep your front wheel planted on the ground? A pair of water bottles weighs about 3 lbs, does the presence of a pair of water bottles also affect you're bike's tendency to pop wheeliesthe bike was lighter too, it wasn't just a fork swap. but this did actually occur. going up hills the front end in particular just felt lighter and livelier. didn't say it MADE me pop wheelies, just that I felt the difference right away and it made me want to. was I glued to the ground with the steel fork? no, but the difference was noticeable when I swapped bikes.

and I don't keep my water bottles on the fork; so no, removing them doesn't make me pop wheelies :p

Peter P.
12-18-2015, 06:06 PM
What's the difference between a production steel fork and a custom steel fork? Do they not use the same raw components (blades, steerers) from the same steel tubing manufacturers?

I suppose one possible difference could be tubing. A custom fork could be built to a rider's weight and planned riding activities. A production fork has to be built strong enough to support riders of a wider range of body weights so a larger margin of error may be designed into the material choices.

Also, to speed up production in some instances (depending on the volume of forks needed to be built) thicker tubes may permit less care to be taken in assembly so they take less time to build.

jbf
12-18-2015, 06:52 PM
I had a Carl Strong steel frame with an IF steel fork, it was great but as it was purchased 2nd hand it was not a perfect fit. Currently on a steel Hampsten with matching steel fork. Its the way to go if you are doing custom steel.

Peter B
12-18-2015, 11:03 PM
I had my DeSalvo 10AE built to suit an IF steel road fork. Mike then sent those and a Ritchey stem off to Spectrum. Terrific match!