PDA

View Full Version : Ok - what is the quietest chain.

abqhudson
05-29-2006, 07:08 PM
I have a Campy drivetrain and am willing to religiously clean and lube. What is the quietest chain for me? I have tried the Campy chains (regular and narrow) and feel that I am getting more noise than I want. Thanks for any help.

Jim

Grant McLean
05-29-2006, 07:12 PM
How much noise you hear has a lot to do with
what kind of lube you use.

The "wet" type lubes that look and feel like "oil"
are quiet. Some thin synthetic waxy type lubes aren't.

g

dave thompson
05-29-2006, 07:26 PM
I use both Shimano and IRD chains with Boeshield T-9 lube. Both chains run very quietly.

abqhudson
05-30-2006, 02:29 PM
I am using Pro Link.

Jim

flydhest
05-30-2006, 02:31 PM
when his chain starts making noise, keno just takes the battery out of his hearing aid.

Kevan
05-30-2006, 02:33 PM
tube... I mean lube!

Dr. Doofus
05-30-2006, 02:34 PM
none

riding with no chain is really quiet

paulh
05-30-2006, 02:41 PM
Hincapie has a saying, when he's feeling really good: "No chain." The chain on the bike cranks the wheels and creates the tension that drives the bike.

Without a chain, a bike would spin nothing, air.

"Man, can you check something for me?" he says.

"What?"

"I don't feel a chain," he says. "Is there a chain on my bike?"

It's become Postal shorthand for riding strong: "No chain."

Armstrong says, "How good do you feel today, George?"

"No chain, no chain."

terrytnt
05-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Agree that 2 key factors are cleanliness of the chain and lube.

I generally wipe down after every major ride (50+miles) using a liberal amount of Pro-link (also wipe my freewheel and derailer). I know it's anal but I love that frictionless sound... almost like a hum..... as I'm spinning. This is my older Mavic Pro-group so I can't speak to Campy... however, curious about the responses since I'm building a new bike with Record.

Ahneida Ride
05-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Try ATB

All The Best. Do a search on ATB.

I switched from T9 and will never go back.
I too run Campy Record.

keno
05-30-2006, 04:25 PM
I'd have to put that right up there on your Laffer Curve. One, two, three, four.

BTW, the answer is RockNRoll Gold chain lube.

keno

flydhest
05-30-2006, 04:30 PM
1, 2, 3, 4

keno
05-30-2006, 04:42 PM
very digital, Alice.

keno

Dave
05-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Agree that 2 key factors are cleanliness of the chain and lube.

I generally wipe down after every major ride (50+miles) using a liberal amount of Pro-link (also wipe my freewheel and derailer). I know it's anal but I love that frictionless sound... almost like a hum..... as I'm spinning. This is my older Mavic Pro-group so I can't speak to Campy... however, curious about the responses since I'm building a new bike with Record.

The major difference is my lube. If you're going to apply liberally and often, Pro Link is a waste of money, IMO. I think you'll find that a 4/1 mix of mineral spirits and synthetic motor oil is just as good and costs next to nothing. The Pro Link bottle makes a good applicator. I used mine for several years until they all finally got brittle and broke.

CalfeeFly
05-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Dumonde Lube has a reputation to making a chain very quiet. As mentioned Boeshield does as well.