PDA

View Full Version : need some feedback!!!

sjh
12-15-2015, 05:16 PM
I'm looking to buy a titanium gravel bike. I'm down to 4 builders. Moots, Seven, Holland and Eriksen. All have ex. reputations! The problem is that its just about impossible to ride any before choosing one. So post your experiences that you may have had with them or any info that may be helpful. I'm in the process of doing all the research that I can. Thanks.

ptourkin
12-15-2015, 05:26 PM
Nobody is going to take more care of you than Holland - their clientele is for life. I also have a Moots and a Seven but their builders don't drop me on climbs on a weekly basis, so I'm a little biased. I know three of the first Holland gravel bike owners and they are quite pleased. I can put you in touch with those people if you'd like to know more about the bikes.

sjh
12-15-2015, 05:33 PM
Thanks. I've spent time with Bill he's a very special guy. I had a chance to visit with him a few years ago. And yes I agree I couldn't go wrong with his gravel bike but I feel the same about all four of my choices. Tough decision!

RFC
12-15-2015, 05:44 PM
You might want to check out the Vassago TKO. Each one is built to order. The owner is a neighbor of mine and last weekend he got out his personal TKO to show me. Impressive.

http://www.vassagocycles.com/tko/

uber
12-15-2015, 05:44 PM
I have had a wonderful frame built for me by Kent Eriksen. His quality is second to none and his experience creating titanium frames, especially off road is legendary. There is no question any of the builders on your list will build you a great bike. A phone call with Eriksen might ne helpful?
Best of luck.

kevinvc
12-15-2015, 05:56 PM
You don't mention where you live or if it's feasible for you to actually visit any of the builders. I wouldn't think it's essential, but you want to make sure you choose someone you feel confident is going to really listen to you and build to your specific needs. Having a good rapport will make the whole process easier. If face-to-face visits aren't possible, I would suggest talking to your finalists over the phone to see if you click. You would probably need to set up a time in advance, but it should make you more comfortable with your decision.

And even though you don't ask, I would suggest taking a look at DeSalvo (http://www.desalvocycles.com/) as well if you're willing to consider other players. Mike is a master craftsman who has been working with ti for a long time, won multiple awards and is really friendly.

sjh
12-15-2015, 07:17 PM
I have visited Holllands shop, spoke with Kent awhile back on the phone. visited a local shop that I have a great relation with that sell Seven and of course spoke with numerous shops that sell Moots. I am leaning towards either Holland or Eriksen because of close working contact with the owner of each. I firmly believe all four with be great bikes and maybe Moots might have the best resell. Don't really plan to ever sell but you never know. I think that the Holland Exogrid may ride a touch smoother than the all titanium but comes at a cost premium. Again if riding was possible it would make the decision much easier! That's why I'm looking for opinions from peeps who have experience with these builders.

Jeff N.
12-15-2015, 07:24 PM
The thing about Holland's creations is that they are 100% satisfaction guaranteed...that is, if you aren't pleased in ANY WAY with your ride, he'll refund every penny. That's the way the guy does business. Hard to beat. -Jeff N.

sjh
12-15-2015, 07:28 PM
I didn't know that. That is tough to beat

cv1966
12-15-2015, 07:49 PM
I'm sure the OP would be happy with all the builders he listed. DeSalvo would definitely be worth a look. Check out Jim Kish in NC (Kish Fabrication) if that is closer.

tigoat
12-15-2015, 07:57 PM
I have had bikes built by this list of builders. Bill Holland is definitely a super great guy to deal with but his lead time is usually very long. Kent Eriksen does not need no mention, as he would be considered a master of the trade in my book. Kent can usually deliver a frame within 3 months pretty consistently. If you want a custom geometry then Moots might not be a good choice, as you will have to pay a premium for that. There are other Ti builders not on your list that would be excellent builders as well. Jim Kish would be one of very few that comes to mind and his lead time is usually within 3 months. Have fun!

jmeloy
12-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Gotta throw in Tom Kellogg (Spectrum). The Ti bike he built for me is just amazing.

oldpotatoe
12-15-2015, 08:10 PM
I'm looking to buy a titanium gravel bike. I'm down to 4 builders. Moots, Seven, Holland and Eriksen. All have ex. reputations! The problem is that its just about impossible to ride any before choosing one. So post your experiences that you may have had with them or any info that may be helpful. I'm in the process of doing all the research that I can. Thanks.

Go to Boulder and ride Vecchio's Routt.

AJosiahK
12-15-2015, 08:15 PM
You can't go wrong with that list !

sjh
12-15-2015, 08:47 PM
I considered Jim Kish but he's too far away. I live west of the Rockies so would like to keep the build within a days driving distance.
Thanks for all the feedback so far it has been helpful. Hope to make a decision in the nest 3-4 days. So keep it coming!!

joosttx
12-15-2015, 08:58 PM
I would get a Seven Evergreen or Eriksen from your short list. I would highly recommend you consider a Mosaic. I own one and it's excellent. They fabricated a frame and delivered it to me in like three weeks

mgm777
12-15-2015, 10:29 PM
You can't can make a bad decision with that list. Those are all world-class bicycles, IMHO. Go with the brand that speaks to you.

happycampyer
12-15-2015, 10:32 PM
I was going to also suggest adding Mosaic to the list, as well as Firefly and Engin. But now seeing where you are located and your desire to keep the builder local, that would rule out Firefly and Engin (and Seven for that matter). What details matter to you (weight, butting, cable routing alternatives, finishes, etc.)?

John H.
12-15-2015, 11:02 PM
Are features like thru axle important to you?

Steve in SLO
12-15-2015, 11:24 PM
"West of the Rockies" is big. Where exactly do you live? That may help us narrow it down for you.
If you are in Oregon, I highly recommend Mike DeSalvo. Did a bang up job for me.

velotel
12-16-2015, 12:27 AM
I rode a Moots Routt for three days while in Boulder, from Vecchio's. Fit me perfectly, wonderful bike. So now I'm ordering a 'gravel bike' from Kent. I've had one of his frames since 07. He's been telling me for years to have him build me a gravel bike. Slightly ironically back when I ordered the Eriksen, what I first told him I wanted was a road bike with clearances for fat tires. At the time a fork and and such weren't so easy to source like I wanted and I ended up going with a pure road bike and now here I am back to my original idea, a road bike with clearances for fat tires. But not with disc brakes. Anyway no one does ti better than Kent, no one has sweeter welds (and few as good), his turn around is fast, generally 5-6 weeks, bikes fully guaranteed, satisfaction included, and his pricing is excellent. On the other hand you could walk into Vecchio's, try Jim's Routt if the fit is correct, and if the fit is perfect for you the way it was for me, walk out with it and go ride.

sjh
12-16-2015, 07:07 AM
Thanks guys. After sleeping on it another night I think I'm down to Holland and Eriksen. I have spoke to both and agree that I can't go wrong with either one. Yes thru axles are important to me so I'll check with each to see if they include them. It may come down to build time. I assume Kent can get a bike to me in less than 3 months but haven't heard back from Holland yet on his schedule. Thanks again. More comments are always welcome.

Mikej
12-16-2015, 07:16 AM
Thanks guys. After sleeping on it another night I think I'm down to Holland and Eriksen. I have spoke to both and agree that I can't go wrong with either one. Yes thru axles are important to me so I'll check with each to see if they include them. It may come down to build time. I assume Kent can get a bike to me in less than 3 months but haven't heard back from Holland yet on his schedule. Thanks again. More comments are always welcome.

I received my Eriksen (x2) both in under 8 weeks. Kent also gave me a satisfaction guarantee. Sometimes you need to really ask him for the 142 x 12 rear axle, as he was a bit hesitant on my last request, but now its the norm. Great people at Eriksen, my type of people.

tigoat
12-16-2015, 09:03 AM

Kent and I disagreed on a few things in regards to bike geometry but I have a great respect for the man. I would consider his welder Brad second to none in the industry and would bet his weld work against anybody, period. Last by not least, DO NOT ever take any quoted lead time to the bank, as you would be disappointed at the end if you did.

metalheart
12-16-2015, 09:38 AM
I shopped for a Ti bike in 2010-2011, went to NAHBS in Austin to talk with builders and check out bikes first hand. I also talked on the phone with builders on my shorter list who did not attend NAHBS. I considered most everyone already mentioned and all are fine builders. One of the builders not mentioned so far is Steve Potts and he is among the masters in my humble opinion.

I decided on Bill Holland to build my bike and it was a remarkably rewarding experience. I feel as if Bill is at the peak of his craft and he puts his experience as well as his soul into each bike he makes. The experience of working with Bill and Cody was the best experience I have had buying anything in my life. It gave me confidence that I would get what I needed in a bike and each time I ride my Holland I experience a atisfaction that I have what I want and need.

ptourkin
12-16-2015, 03:24 PM
Just an FYI - I rode with the aforementioned Cody, the fitter/sales guy at Holland this morning (he's also my coach) and if you wait till February, they'll be doing 142-12 thru axles and flat mounts on the gravel bikes. The fork will be the new Enve thru axle fork.

d_douglas
12-16-2015, 04:14 PM
All options sound great. I am happy to hear that Thru Axles are on your list - I wouldn't have a frame any other way now. I love my desalvo, but wish it was a TA system. Oh well!

Lucky you - sounds like a dream bike situation!

Mikej
12-16-2015, 06:41 PM
Gotta throw in Tom Kellogg (Spectrum). The Ti bike he built for me is just amazing.

Does Tom do dirt?

jlwdm
12-16-2015, 11:18 PM
Does Tom do dirt?

My five year old Spectrum is a road bike with clearance for 35s. Paul Racer M brakes.

Jeff

oldpotatoe
12-17-2015, 06:03 AM
My five year old Spectrum is a road bike with clearance for 35s. Paul Racer M brakes.

Jeff

W/O thru axles, flat mount discs, tapered fork..not a true 'GRoad bike'...sorry..

Kidding-:)

Gonna be a nice rig, regardless. The US ti builders are all really great, IMHO.

metalheart
12-17-2015, 09:41 AM
Just an FYI - I rode with the aforementioned Cody, the fitter/sales guy at Holland this morning (he's also my coach) and if you wait till February, they'll be doing 142-12 thru axles and flat mounts on the gravel bikes. The fork will be the new Enve thru axle fork.

Cody is one of my all time favorite people, a knowledgeable fellow who has a breadth of talent. He adds significant value to Bill's shop. I have had a few issues with saddles and Di2 upgrades and the followup service from Cody and Bill demonstrates their commitment to doing it right. Give him a wave for me next time you see him.....