PDA

View Full Version : Your Ride report SIR!

Too Tall
03-29-2004, 07:17 AM
So? Nu?

Me first. Had my first race of the season. It was a first in a few other ways also. I've been focused on Ultra's for the last 8-9 yrs. and done very little USCF other than TTs. Also a first because I've hired a pro coach. Also a first because I was crazy enough to throw in with the 40+ crowd who are faster than the 4/5 lot....all that to say I was intimidated even before arriving at the scene.

Anyway, there is a pre-race routine I go through and that was a comfort. Also, I am friends and know many many faces in the crowd. It is GREAT to have teammates in my field who I know will encourage me and we support each others moves, what fun.

This was the Jefferson Cup, which is traditionally a tough race. It is about 1/3 6-8% hills with one tough 2 min. climb followed by a false flat...that's where folks get popped. The previous few weeks I'd been practicing 2-3 min. 500watt efforts to prepare so the "hill" went well. HR only hit 161 each lap which is less than 90% of max. The thing that gave me a real boost during the race was the realization that these guys can't ride their bikes...by and large their skills needed work. On the other hand you could not have asked to race with a more decent bunch of gents. Folks actually spoke in calm voices and told you they were coming by (if it was tight) or gave a polite tap if they needed room. Ok, that's normal you say? Yeah, that's what we know from watching pro racing but we are talkin' USCF here NOT pro's. I REALLY like the way everyone conducted themselves....REALLY.

Anywho (hehe), at the end I laid down a bunch of watts but felt no need to get out of the saddle and sprint. The race went well and that's all I wanted. I ended up in the the top 1/3. Avg. watts for the race was 329 and top watts was 1400 in the (seated) sprint.

It was a good day and I'm too tall to race.

And you SIR!

Smiley
03-29-2004, 07:53 AM
glad you did well Tall One, How many people drafted you though, and had you do all the work.

Too Tall
03-29-2004, 08:36 AM
First your ride report SIR!

Spectrum Bob
03-29-2004, 08:58 AM
My ride report sir is as follows:

Saturday I had a very pleasant ride with my good friends Sandy and George. We took it easy on the flats, talked a lot and I pushed it on the hills just for the fun of it.

Sunday I had the rare opportunity to ride with my wife. Our daughter had a play date after Sunday school so we had a 4 hour opportunity to go on a challenging ride together.

Too Tall, Congratulations on your most excellent ride report :beer: :beer: it’s great to hear about your success. (On another note it is working a little bit better but not perfect)

Spectrum Bob

Too Tall
03-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Good report SIR! Family first.

*Giver er' about 1/4 counter clockwise turn. If that don't do it I need to disassemble the cassette. Do you have a spare 10 spd. wheel we can throw in or borrow? The Crest ultrasonic cleaner is in. OMG it is the beast.

pbbob
03-29-2004, 06:08 PM
ride report sun 3/28/04. Baltimore club had a ride for fixed and vintage bikes. so I cheated and rode the 79 as a single speed. 42x17. 40 some miles. watching larry black on his old wood rimmed fixed without brakes machine on this hilly ride was the most bizarre thing I have seen in a long time. went to a play with the wifemate that evening and all was well.

Jack Brunk
03-29-2004, 10:02 PM
Completed my first double century of the year this past Saturday. My time was 11:20 over the course with 7500 feet of climbing. The first 100 miles was into a 25-40 mph wind from outside of Solvang to Morro bay. I was able to do the second 100 in under 5 hours. Overall I was happy with my results. Doubles are truly a great way to spend quality time on your bike. One down with four more to go.

Jack

Sandy
03-29-2004, 10:08 PM
Jack,

Quite impressive, especially for this time of year.

Sandy

Sandy
03-29-2004, 10:13 PM
Besides being Too Nice and TOO Helpful, you are Too Strong, Too Tall.

1400 watts for a seated sprint is Really Impressive!

Still Seated Still Slow Still Spinning STill Serotta Sandy

MarinRider
03-29-2004, 11:13 PM
1 Mountain TT, 1 Flat TT, 1 technical crit with a 180 turn.

12th GC and I was top 1/3 in all three races. I am fining out in 4s I am above average in all disciplines but not yet the top 5 in any. 2nd weekend straight I finished 12th on the GC in a stage race. I also don't have the nerve any more to fight the twenty year olds for positions around the corners.

More hill repeats this week!

Too Tall
03-30-2004, 08:00 AM
Sweeeeeet! Jack I really admire the whole CA double thing. It's a freakin' industry there. Lucky boy. M.R. Right on bro', you can tell who has been doing their intervals after a few laps ;) Awesome report SIR!