PDA

View Full Version : My new CIII

bcm119
12-17-2003, 07:42 PM
I've put a few miles on my new CIII, and it is everything I hoped it would be. It is my first steel bike, and first Serotta. I've been riding a Klein for the past 4 years, and the difference is astounding. I purchased my CIII as a frame/fork only and I built it up with all the same components/wheels as my Klein, except for
headset, seatpost, stem and BB. Besides a perfect fit, the number one difference is ride quality- the CIII absorbs alot of buzz and roughness. Number two difference is cornering- the CIII feels whispy light yet very stable in corners (it is about the same weight). I finally understand the meaning of the word "snap" in describing steel frames. So far I don't believe it lacks any climbing efficiency compared to the super stiff Klein, and I may be in a more efficient position now anyway.

Thanks to all the knowledgeable folks on this board who influenced my decision to go with a CIII over the past few months, I am grateful.

dnovo
12-17-2003, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the Family. Sounds like a wonderful ride. Enjoy it and have fun. Dave N.

Kevin
12-18-2003, 05:19 AM
bcm119,

Welcome to the asylum. You will love it.

Kevin

Len J
12-18-2003, 06:15 AM
Going from a Klein to a CIII is a hugh change in ride characteristics.

Glad you are enjoying it.

Many Miles with the rubber side down.

Congrats.

Len

mickeyc
12-18-2003, 06:27 AM
Congratulations on your C III. I too have one and I love it. I went from riding a Giant OCR to the C III and what a difference. The ride is so much more comfortable and enjoyable. Enjoy your new ride.

saab2000
12-18-2003, 07:18 AM
I am really happy that you have shared this with us. I myself would like to get a new bike but cannot justify the cost of the other Serottas and I feel that the CIII must offer 99% of the benefits of the more expensive rides at a much lower cost.

Ultimately I do not know what I will get when I get one, but a CIII is on my list and I am happy to hear the comparison with another established brand.

dixiesdad
12-18-2003, 10:16 AM
Congrats on the CIII .....having owned only one aluminum trek in the 1980's but owning several STEEL serottas.... there is BIG difference in the feel and ride. STEEL is still for real! I notice it when I stand out of the saddle or accelerate hard in the saddle. The CIII ride is everything a CSi is without the lugs. I have owned both frames. The CIII in the new catalogue with the celtic color scheme looks really cool in my opinion. I have owned (past tense) probably 30 steel frames (1/100 of the Dnovo fleet) and still think the ride of the serotta frames is #1 I would rate them as the top banana. sorry drbk and dave :banana: cheers to Ben and the steel boys and girls at serotta:beer:

jrm
12-18-2003, 03:18 PM
Great looking bike. I am waiting on mine not patiently but waitng. Mine will be the same color but no silver same stickers too. Good luck with your new ride and I'll be checking my phone for the pickup call! :banana:

bikedadjc
12-18-2003, 04:32 PM
What fork did you get on your C111? Thanks, Happy riding, Jesse

bcm119
12-18-2003, 07:23 PM
Its the O2. The factor that "steered" me away from the F2 was mostly the price. I'd ridden an Ouzo Pro equipped bike before and liked the feel. So I decided to put the money towards quality core components- King headset, Phil BB and Thomson post. I only have a slight case of "I wonder what I'm missing", so I'm pretty happy with the choice.

bigwheel
12-18-2003, 07:35 PM
I have been on a new CIII for six months and I can't believe how much I love it. I used to be a big time mnt. biker and I would occasionally ride my early 90's team fuji. Once I got my CIII I have been riding mostly on the road. It is buttery smooth. Handles really well, pours into the corners. I went with the compact geometry, platinum with black and white decals. Bontrager race lite rims and full Ultegra components. I could not be happier!

Congrats on your new ride. I hope you live in a climate where you can ride it all winter.

CIII_bill
12-20-2003, 09:51 AM
Congratulations on your C III. I did the same thing as you. Went from my Klein Quantum II to a C III this past spring. In fact, I did a doubletake when I saw the pic of your bike. My paint job is the same as your except I put on char/titanium decals.

My bike is so comfortable, I feel I can ride it forever.

Enjoy.