PDA

View Full Version : Anyone installed Cinelli Imperial leather handlebar tape, brown

cnighbor1
12-15-2015, 12:05 PM
Has anyone installed Cinelli Imperial leather handlebar tape, brown
and how difficult was installing it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cinelli-Imperial-leather-handlebar-tape-brown-/301820221739?hash=item4645e3192b:g:s6oAAOSwv-NWaAox
thanks has it would look cool on a classic bicycle
charles

rccardr
12-15-2015, 03:03 PM
I don't know, Charles...awful lot of logos on that for $100.
Could be pretty busy visually.

Have used and had excellent results with the Sella Italia Smootape leather, also comes in brown.

Am toying with the idea of asking BusyMan Bikes to recover one of my saddles and make matching bar tape for the Pelizzoli that's due to arrive in about six weeks. He does astounding work, lots of bas-relief and contrasting color stuff.

dave thompson
12-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Have you looked at HandleBra? Still very good stuff.

aaronf
12-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Yes, have installed on several bars. I've found the best thing to do is wet it with water before/while wrapping. This will slightly expand the leather while also making it more pliable and hence better suited to shape nicely especially around your levers. I just use a spray-mist bottle and kinda saturate the outer surface. I don't wet the inner surface as the water will probably inhibit the factory adhesive. Wrap the bars while the tape wet/pliable and then let dry. As the leather dries it will contract slightly so be sure to not have any close/questionable overlaps. This technique has worked well for me with any true leather tape, Brooks, Handlebra, whatever.