PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Exalith ?

SuperColnago
12-14-2015, 09:05 PM
Haven't searched the forum yet, how is the Exalith coating, does it wear off quickly? Met a rider who had them and the braking was very noisy, heard that disappears after a while?

Anyone with experience/recommendations - appreciated thanks!

Cheers

simonov
12-15-2015, 05:18 AM
The coating won't wear off easily, though it may start to come off if the rim gets scratched or superficially damaged. But just from regular braking it will last a long, long time.

Brake pad setup is very important. When brand new the first set of pads will wear quickly. The next set will last a long time and the sound will mellow quite a bit. Even with brand new wheels the sound can be minimized with proper toe-in. They'll always have a distinct sound, but it's not a squeal, screech or anything really noticeable or annoying.

IMO, the braking is awesome and they're some of my favorite wheels. And I'm on the first gen still because I can't kill them or wear them down enough to warrant a replacement.

Mikej
12-15-2015, 06:58 AM
The coating won't wear off easily, though it may start to come off if the rim gets scratched or superficially damaged. But just from regular braking it will last a long, long time.

Brake pad setup is very important. When brand new the first set of pads will wear quickly. The next set will last a long time and the sound will mellow quite a bit. Even with brand new wheels the sound can be minimized with proper toe-in. They'll always have a distinct sound, but it's not a squeal, screech or anything really noticeable or annoying.

IMO, the braking is awesome and they're some of my favorite wheels. And I'm on the first gen still because I can't kill them or wear them down enough to warrant a replacement.

Pretty much right on the head - mine are 3 years old and fine. I do get a gnarly shriek every so often, but nothing ever wore off, just green dust all over my fork crown. They really are awesome braking.

SuperColnago
12-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Thanks!
What is the difference between 1st and 2nd gen exalith? What year is 2nd gen?

simonov
12-15-2015, 07:41 PM
Thanks!
What is the difference between 1st and 2nd gen exalith? What year is 2nd gen?

I think they changed the texture a little on 2nd gen to slightly improve braking and sound issues. Both of my Exalith wheels are first gen, though, so I don't know exactly. The 2nd gen was already a few years ago so if you're looking for new wheels you'll be on the latest and greatest.

SuperColnago
12-15-2015, 08:49 PM
I think they changed the texture a little on 2nd gen to slightly improve braking and sound issues. Both of my Exalith wheels are first gen, though, so I don't know exactly. The 2nd gen was already a few years ago so if you're looking for new wheels you'll be on the latest and greatest.

Beauty thanks mates!