PDA

View Full Version : Campy questions re: working 3rd gen ergo shifters

bfd
12-14-2015, 12:28 PM
OK, there's a guy selling a 3rd gen (gumby hood) Centaur 10 spd ultra-shifter. He also has a ratchet kit that can change the shifter from 10 to 11 speed. I presume this kit includes an 11 speed shifting disc.

Is that an easy repair? I've repaired my 2nd gen (round hood) shifters a couple of times and didn't have too much problem. Don't know anything about these latest shifters. But I hear that there are no g-springs or spring carriers to wear, which is a good thing! What about the shifting disc?

Thanks!

FlashUNC
12-14-2015, 12:35 PM
Haven't done it myself, but everything I've seen/read on the subject says its an easy swap. Especially since they dumped the g-springs.

ultraman6970
12-14-2015, 12:45 PM
The new system is a lot easier to put back together than the g-spring system.

bfd
12-14-2015, 04:33 PM
Taking a look at the 2010 technical diagram for the Centaur ultra shifter, there's not a lot in there. But, I still don't see a shift disc or anything that looks like one.

Part A, 2010 technical diagram at 43:

http://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Support/download?td=3

Thanks!

oldpotatoe
12-15-2015, 06:04 AM
OK, there's a guy selling a 3rd gen (gumby hood) Centaur 10 spd ultra-shifter. He also has a ratchet kit that can change the shifter from 10 to 11 speed. I presume this kit includes an 11 speed shifting disc.

Is that an easy repair? I've repaired my 2nd gen (round hood) shifters a couple of times and didn't have too much problem. Don't know anything about these latest shifters. But I hear that there are no g-springs or spring carriers to wear, which is a good thing! What about the shifting disc?

Thanks!

It isn't hard but can be difficult. There 'should' be a '11s' toothed disc in front also(EC-SR-062). Yes, it's 2 discs mated together, with wee ball bearings running past some notches in the disc. No shift springs. BUT don't lose the wee ball bearings or little springs that push the balls thru the notches.

3mm allen takes the back apart, spring the returns the thumb button up a challenge to get off and on. Brake lever off, 3mm in front, then the long thru bolt comes out aft, and after unhooking the spring that centers shift lever blade, all the front guts come out. Keep track of order, etc..

If you want, I can do it for you for $25.

I think the 1st and second gen ones way easier. But I've done hundreds of older ones and only about 20 new ones.

bfd
12-15-2015, 11:42 AM
It isn't hard but can be difficult. There 'should' be a '11s' toothed disc in front also(EC-SR-062). Yes, it's 2 discs mated together, with wee ball bearings running past some notches in the disc. No shift springs. BUT don't lose the wee ball bearings or little springs that push the balls thru the notches.

3mm allen takes the back apart, spring the returns the thumb button up a challenge to get off and on. Brake lever off, 3mm in front, then the long thru bolt comes out aft, and after unhooking the spring that centers shift lever blade, all the front guts come out. Keep track of order, etc..

If you want, I can do it for you for $25.

I think the 1st and second gen ones way easier. But I've done hundreds of older ones and only about 20 new ones.

Thanks Peter! What is interesting in your diagram, I don't see a EC-SR-062.

At this point, the seller wants $105 for the levers plus $65 for the ratchet kit. Add in another $25 or so for hood and I'm at about $200. There's a brand new Chorus 11 shifters for about that price, so I'm going to pass. Appreciate the help! Good Luck!

oldpotatoe
12-15-2015, 01:29 PM
Thanks Peter! What is interesting in your diagram, I don't see a EC-SR-062.

At this point, the seller wants $105 for the levers plus $65 for the ratchet kit. Add in another $25 or so for hood and I'm at about $200. There's a brand new Chorus 11 shifters for about that price, so I'm going to pass. Appreciate the help! Good Luck!

Centaur lever, 10s, -062 is 11s but new Chorus levers-huzza!!