PDA

View Full Version : My Castelli Gabba - not that waterproof

toronto-rider
12-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Ok I do hate riding in the rain, so I never start off in the rain, but if the weather report says that 60% chance of rain during my ride, I will choose the Castelli Gabba. I have the original.
Went out this weekend and it rained for about 15 minutes of my ride
My upper body was damp once I removed the Gabba. My arms were very damp.

Can someone share the light on the waterproof nature of the Gabba. My legs which were in Giordina windproof tight were dryer than my upper body.
Maybe I have a dud, but I expect much better water protection from the Gabba than it currently is producing.
Thanks

FastforaSlowGuy
12-14-2015, 12:15 PM
It's not windproof or waterproof. It's water resistant and wind resistant. Keeps you dryer, but not dry.

CPP
12-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Probably was more sweat than actual rain.

Climb01742
12-14-2015, 12:24 PM
Yeah, for me its appeal is that it does lots of things really well, without perhaps doing any one thing all the way. I don't think I'd expect it to be water-proof, more like keeps that damp/misty stuff out; keeps the chill off; keeps the wind from cutting through. Ideal for those between-days. But for real rain, I'd go Showers Pass or full Goretex rain jacket.

FlashUNC
12-14-2015, 12:33 PM
As others mentioned, probably some moisture build up from you riding as well.

But its meant to keep you warm dry-ish in the cold crappy stuff during a race. Its not meant to be fully waterproof or not breathe at all. Meant to keep you somewhat comfortable when going at it, hammer & tongs and all that.

Lewis Moon
12-14-2015, 12:33 PM
Probably was more sweat than actual rain.

This is probably correct. If waterproof/breathable fabric is completely wet out from rain, not a lot of moisture escapes, so you get wet. This is especially true if the DWR (durable water repellant) hasn't been renewed in a while. If it rains and the water doesn't bead up and run off, you're hosed....

ltwtsculler91
12-14-2015, 12:52 PM
This is probably correct. If waterproof/breathable fabric is completely wet out from rain, not a lot of moisture escapes, so you get wet. This is especially true if the DWR (durable water repellant) hasn't been renewed in a while. If it rains and the water doesn't bead up and run off, you're hosed....

This. Try Castelli's advice for renewing the DWR and see how that works out.

On another note, my hi-viz yellow Gabba wasn't too waterproof from the start, and stained like crazy after my first ride in it this fall. Anyone else have that problem of your gabba developing tons of dark stains all over it after being wet?

professerr
12-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Ditto above on the intended lack waterproofness of these -- they don't even have taped or sealed seams. They are meant for high output rides, not, say, slow slogs home after work. Since you'll be sweating plenty on such rides, the question is not whether you were dry, but whether you were warm enough.

dzxc
12-14-2015, 07:44 PM
I think this is right. I have the hi viz gabba. Works great generally for high output club rides and in the snow to shed snow and sleet/light rain. Definitely not waterproof though and I never expected it to be.

toronto-rider
12-15-2015, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys, put it in the dryer as per the recommendation for DWR,
I think it should help

spartanKid
12-15-2015, 10:06 AM
A company called Nikwax also sells detergent that is supposed to help renew DWR as well as a liquid you add to the wash or spray-on that adds or helps add back some of the DWR that is slowly lost as you wash the garment.

joosttx
12-15-2015, 10:18 AM
I think the newer gabba's have better water resistance than the original.

12-15-2015, 10:44 AM
The Gabba 2's definitely have a better fabric to bead up water, but once they get soaked, water does start to come through. If you're riding 20 mph or faster, most of the water blows off you as it lands. If you're riding 10-15 mph in the rain, I don't think Gabba will work for you. It's designed for a very specific combination of conditions -- a fit rider with not too much perspiration, light to constant rain but not drenching, cool weather, and riding at reasonable speed. I find that a lot of cyclists who aren't racing and aren't training in fast pacelines or aren't exceptionally fit are not going to enjoy it as much. It's that skinny, fit, fast Cat 2 that benefits the most from it. Sorry to say.

R3awak3n
12-15-2015, 11:18 AM
I think waterproofing is bogus.

I went out and bought what I thought was the best jacket for rainy rides. Showers pass elite 2.1. Has great reviews, says its fully water proof, breathable like nothing else.

Its a nice jacket, expensive but you pay for quality. However what its not is breathable.

10 minutes in and I am swearing like a racehorse, if I open the the vents then it breathes a little better but then the water gets in. I think that you have to embrace ridding in the rain... you either going to get soaked because of the rain or get soaked because of your sweat. Maybe I just sweat more than normal people (I know I do) but there is no way that anyone can consider that jacket breathable. Still its a nice jacket and I am happy with it.

professerr
12-15-2015, 11:31 AM
I think waterproofing is bogus.

I went out and bought what I thought was the best jacket for rainy rides. Showers pass elite 2.1. Has great reviews, says its fully water proof, breathable like nothing else.

Its a nice jacket, expensive but you pay for quality. However what its not is breathable.

10 minutes in and I am swearing like a racehorse, if I open the the vents then it breathes a little better but then the water gets in. I think that you have to embrace ridding in the rain... you either going to get soaked because of the rain or get soaked because of your sweat. Maybe I just sweat more than normal people (I know I do) but there is no way that anyone can consider that jacket breathable. Still its a nice jacket and I am happy with it.

Agreed -- ime, waterproof/breathable is just marketing, though there are some fabrics that manage to be both less waterproof and less breathable than others. Gabba doesn't claim to be waterproof and it is breathable enough that I'll choose it for cool days with no rain in sight because the fabric and snug cut block wind exceptionally well for descents after hard climbing.

Lionel
12-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Correct full waterproof in any sort of fast riding and/or climbing is useless as you sweat like a pig very quickly in it and none of the true waterproof fabric really breathe well at all. Gabba is a very good compromise.

JLP
12-15-2015, 11:47 AM
But you gotta admit, that with the wind blocking nature of the Gabba, you can be pretty darned comfortable in miserable conditions.

Elefantino
12-15-2015, 11:48 AM
Gore has a new, one-layer fabric that has no DWR.
(http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/12/news/gore-tex-active-jacket-aims-for-waterproof-packability_391029)
The problem? The new Gore One jacket costs $300. Ouch.

professerr
12-15-2015, 12:24 PM
Gore has a new, one-layer fabric that has no DWR.
(http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/12/news/gore-tex-active-jacket-aims-for-waterproof-packability_391029)
The problem? The new Gore One jacket costs $300. Ouch.

Even if it were "the world's lightest fully waterproof, truly breathable" jacket, that thing looks like it would be super loud and flappy.

RonW87
12-15-2015, 01:55 PM
Went out this weekend and it rained for about 15 minutes of my ride

Funny, I was out on Sunday riding north of Toronto and rode in a little rain in my Gabba. It worked perfectly for me. Water beaded right off.

Premton
12-15-2015, 02:06 PM
We have to keep in mind that any real waterproof fabric is laminated. The greater the water/wind barrier level of protection, you get lower breathability as penalty. A lot of time is our own moisture that cant escape the GoreTex fabrics when used in hard rides.
I would wash the Gabba and than lightly spray with Nikkwax Softshell Proof of optimal performance. Go to Patagonia on King St for it if you are in Toronto.

I have the Assos SturmPrinz, a jacket used by most pro riders. Its the most water proof/breathable jacket but if you ride hard, arms and shoulders get wet from my own moisture.

Helicomatic
12-15-2015, 03:47 PM
The claimed benefit of Gore's new tech is to beat the old layered stuff in weight and breathability. Castelli is the other company tapped to bring it to market soon. But, it looks like it will be a pocket-able jacket, not a next-gen Gabba.

Castelli calls it the Idro and I think it's coming in January. I imagine it won't be far off Gore's price point.

My Nanoflex stuff from Castelli reliably beads up in fog, spray, drizzle. But, it can be soaked in a downpour. It's an in-between piece.

ltwtsculler91
12-15-2015, 04:01 PM
My Nanoflex stuff from Castelli reliably beads up in fog, spray, drizzle. But, it can be soaked in a downpour. It's an in-between piece.

Thats what gets me though. My Nanoflex tights and knickers will bead light spray and drizzle, but my Gabba never did...