PDA

View Full Version : Bontrager flash charger

Tony
12-14-2015, 09:27 AM
Need a air compressor for tubeless on three bikes. Thinking of getting a pancake air compressor from harbor freight, $60.00. However, I came across this pump from Bontrager. Anyone have any experience with this pump?

http://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/product/bontrager-flash-charger-tubeless-ready-pump-221755-1.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQiA7rmzBRDezri2r6bz1qYBEiQAg-YEtnINEO90A_GSZOI0lDEPRVhYVcynyuUa8lyT77uIiGkaAhgu 8P8HAQ

oldpotatoe
12-14-2015, 09:36 AM
Need a air compressor for tubeless on three bikes. Thinking of getting a pancake air compressor from harbor freight, $60.00. However, I came across this pump from Bontrager. Anyone have any experience with this pump?

http://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/product/bontrager-flash-charger-tubeless-ready-pump-221755-1.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQiA7rmzBRDezri2r6bz1qYBEiQAg-YEtnINEO90A_GSZOI0lDEPRVhYVcynyuUa8lyT77uIiGkaAhgu 8P8HAQ

Just got the pancake compressor..do that, IMHO..enough umph for tubeless plus lots of other things like beach balls to nail guns..The $120 pump is just a pump.

ofcounsel
12-14-2015, 09:37 AM
If you live off the grid or otherwise don't have access to electricity, it's a good, if more expensive, alternative to an air compressor. Otherwise, stick with the compressor.

edit: I guess if you travel a lot (on a plane) to riding destinations with your bike, and have to change tubeless tires in your hotel room before your next epic ride, then this might be a good thing to carry with you.

commonguy001
12-14-2015, 10:21 AM
I saw that pump at a shop this last summer and they said it worked really well seating tubeless tires.

I just use a portable air tank that I cut the chuck off. The remaining hose fits perfectly over a tubeless stem, pull the valve core open the valve and boom the tire is set.
I used to fill it at the corner gas station before I got a big compressor.

benb
12-14-2015, 10:24 AM
The right regular pump just gets the job done I assume that is what the Bontrager is designed for.

My Joe Blow Pro or whatever has never failed to seat any tubeless tires I've had in the past 10 years. I don't mess with tires a ton but we're still talking about ~20 times without ever really having a problem.

That said if you're not doing soapy water or whatever forget about it, then I'd imagine you need the compressor.

I actually just turned down a free hand-me-down compressor...

ptourkin
12-14-2015, 05:18 PM

I have a journalist friend who got one as a review item and has used it for road, cross and mountain and obtained one to keep. It works as advertised.

chrispino
12-14-2015, 08:39 PM
Had one for about a year now.

Works like a charm. Great to throw in the trunk or bring to MTB weekends. Much easier than a compressor.

My only gripe is using it as an everyday pump to top up the tires is a bit of a PITA.

For example, say you have 40psi currently in the tire and want to go to 60psi. As soon as you attach the pump it releases the air from inside the tire into the chamber on the pump to equalize the pressure between tire and pump. So now you're down to 20psi in the tire and need to pump back up to desired pressure.

So as an everyday pump it kind of sucks, but it's saved me a few times with the flash charger.