PDA

View Full Version : Nine AIR 9 Carbon?

bluesea
12-14-2015, 09:05 AM
I'm thinking about an AIR 9 Carbon /w carbon fork, which will be used 95% on the road.

Nine seems to be developing a kind of Cervelo sales model--build cheap-- replace, replace, replace. Most frames get sold (ending warranty), or sit in garages right?

Are there any concerns about frame defects?

Might the RDO have equal or better reliability?

Is this a recommended choice?

sandyrs
12-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Why do you want a carbon MTB for the road? Information about how you plan to use the bike might help determine if it makes sense to buy this bike, or indeed any carbon MTB.

Fatty
12-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Absolutely tons of Niners on our local trail systems, percentage wise rivaling bigger names like Trek and Specialized.
Never heard one complaint from people who ride them.

Full disclosure, I ride a Niner, love it.

bluesea
12-14-2015, 09:21 AM
Why do you want a carbon MTB for the road? Information about how you plan to use the bike might help determine if it makes sense to buy this bike, or indeed any carbon MTB.

I'm running though my second bout of 2x patellar tendonitis. The first saw me off the bike for over 12 years, because it wouldn't heel due constant stress at work. I'm wrestling with just going ahead and choosing an endurance road bike, but not sure I want to wade in completely just yet.

Right now I'm riding an El Mariachi 1x10, and imo rigid MTB make fun hybrid bikes.

ofcounsel
12-14-2015, 09:21 AM
I ride a Niner Air 9 RDO. I'm a fat guy (235lbs) and have a good amount of dirt miles (on both mild and rugged XC trails). No issues so far after about 2 years. A couple of my close riding buddies also ride Niners. No issues amongst us. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either another RDO or a standard Air 9 carbon.

Tony
12-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Ride with a couple of friends on Niner carbon MTBs, they are happy with the bikes. Thinking of a hardtail 29er myself, most likely will go with a carbon Niner.

Idris Icabod
12-14-2015, 10:12 AM
I've got loads of buddies who ride carbon Niners, don't remember a single failure. I've had buddies who've cracked all sorts of carbon hard tails (Specialized, Trek, Scott), all replaced under warranty. I don't think Niner fails more than any other frame.

c77barlage
12-14-2015, 10:55 AM
I have ridden and raced on a 2015 Air 9 RDO for the past season without issue. I have also taken some nasty spills on it without incident (for the bike).

I would not hesitate to purchase another.

p nut
12-14-2015, 11:07 AM
Local buddy rides an Air 9C. Compared to the scandium model he used to ride, he says its much stiffer. Not sure if that matters to you. He's had no issues.

From what you describe, though, I would try out their RLT9. More upright, fat tire clearance, better bars for the road, etc.

Dave B
12-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Is the niner going to do anyhting different than your Salsa? I have a SIR 9 and have had a El Marachi and to be honest besides a bit of weight they would seemingly do the same thing.

Of course adding a new bike is cool by me, just thinking out loud.

bluesea
12-14-2015, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the confidence inspiring testimony.

Is the niner going to do anyhting different than your Salsa? I have a SIR 9 and have had a El Marachi and to be honest besides a bit of weight they would seemingly do the same thing.

Of course adding a new bike is cool by me, just thinking out loud.

Good point, actually. Something to think about.

Dave B
12-14-2015, 04:19 PM
Don't get me wrong, another bike is almost always fun. I was just thinking out loud, what you are looking for in the niner that you don't have in the Salsa.

I think both bikes are awesome and wold love them both as well. So I am all for getting the Niner too. So go ahead and get it! :beer:

pakora
12-14-2015, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I am on a A9C with an RDO fork and while I did it just to have a pretty silly light XL bike for a non silly light rider, and I'm convinced by the ride when combined with a RDO post, I ride it exclusively on dirt. Combined with Hope/Flow wheels I have not wanted for confidence, though a big part of my confidence in a plastic bike is the 5 year warranty.

On anything less than singletrack I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference with 2.2-2.4" tires and low pressure.

I'd save the dough and put it toward an adventure bike once you're ready to take the plunge.