PDA

View Full Version : OT Hawaii :: Kihei area Maui rental questions

d_douglas
12-14-2015, 12:01 AM
Hi folks,

Well, the darkness and rain of the Pacific Northwest is getting us down and we need to seek sunshine. We have travelled extensively, but one place we've never been is Hawaii, and so many people tell us it's amazing.

We have more or less zeroed in on Kihei, Maui. We are looking at dates of Mar 15-24, 2016. We have two kids : 4 and 6 years old. We are normal people with no bad habits. We don't need anything fancy, just two beds, a small kitchen, a swimming pool an a bit of an ocean view perhaps? Yes, the last two are because once kiddies are in bed at 9pm, we are in for the night, so we might as well be able to look out at beautiful scenery!!

Without opening up a can of worms, can anyone recommend a place to stay that is in the realm of the affordable? I am not expecting someone here to offer up their apartment, but I just thought I would ask if anyone has recommendations of people to contact that may fall outside the confines of VRBO, etc.?

It is an expensive place to visit, but I am trying to gauge just how expensive it is and what we are up against :). I would like to limit the accommodation cost to $1500 or so.

This is not a feeler - we are ready to book.

Thanks for any suggestions. Once booked, I will ask about a chance to cycle while there :) I have heard it's amazing!!!

d_douglas
12-14-2015, 10:54 AM
Anyone? I was thinking that I would have 5 replies by the time I woke up this morning!!??

Any thoughts on places to stay?

grawk
12-14-2015, 11:08 AM
When I'm in maui, I stay at the Mangolani, which is a B&B in Paia, but my coworker swears by the Days Inn in Kihei, which is right on the beach. You'd have to check online to see what current prices are, however. I'd also recommend checking out Air BNB, but be careful about the additional charges that have to be paid in cash on site for some of them.

MadRocketSci
12-14-2015, 11:20 AM
Um...i stayed in Kihei once and didn't think it was that nice. Seems to be mostly seventies-ish timeshares that haven't been updated in a while. Water has some kind of algae issue that makes it brackish and can't remember if it was recommended to swim in or not.

Someone correct me if they've found some hidden gems in the Kihei area. Food is reasonable at least. Of course, it's not too bad to just stay there and drive to Wailea, Kaanapali, Paia, Lahaina, etc. Hana needs a day-trip.

bike ride: Paia to the top of Haleakela, and Kaanapali to Waihee along hwy 30/340, stopping for banana bread at that supposedly famous green stand (Julia's?). The Kaanapali ride is pretty sketchy with lotsa opportunities to find yourself on top of someone's hood if you're not really careful. Plus, bring rugged tires.

grawk
12-14-2015, 11:26 AM
You can definitely swim in the water (and surf etc) in Kihei. Kihei Cafe is my favorite breakfast place on the island. I think where you stay impacts what you think of it tho.

ftf
12-14-2015, 11:29 AM
Maui is amazing, though I didn't ride at all when we were there.

Personally I wouldn't ride there, since there is so much else to do, helicopter tours, the volcano, snorkeling, road to Hana, which I would not ride at all too dangerous.

I have no idea where to stay at your requested spot though.

d_douglas
12-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Thanks all. As this is a budget trip, we are hoping to just eat in our condo vs going to restaurants (which is a nightmare with two small kids). My wife and I are foodies, but honestly, a salad and some pasta at home is adequate for this trip - we are there for the beaches and hikes - not for the grub.

Yes, I have heard of Paia. My wife mentioned this as well. I am getting so sick of looking for places on VRBO and Air BnB that I just want to book now!

MadRocketSci
12-14-2015, 11:48 AM
I would be happy eating takeout from Eskimo Candy every single day there...forget making spaghetti at home....poke, opakapaka & chips, steamers, chowder, and kids burgers if necessary....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60632-d777323-Reviews-Eskimo_Candy-Kihei_Maui_Hawaii.html

photos:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60632-d777323-Reviews-Eskimo_Candy-Kihei_Maui_Hawaii.html#photos

d_douglas
12-14-2015, 11:59 AM
I would be happy eating takeout from Eskimo Candy every single day there...forget making spaghetti at home....poke, opakapaka & chips, steamers, chowder, and kids burgers if necessary....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60632-d777323-Reviews-Eskimo_Candy-Kihei_Maui_Hawaii.html

photos:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60632-d777323-Reviews-Eskimo_Candy-Kihei_Maui_Hawaii.html#photos

Ha, us too, but with a 4 year old eating within 10 min, then crawling under the table and spilling his water all over us, it is less than appealing. My daughter is OK in restaurants, but dear Magnus manages 1 out of 10 times. That is a pretty poor success rate :(

a4racer
12-14-2015, 12:19 PM
DD, you should send me a text. $1500 (USD?) may be a touch light for 9 nights in Maui, even in Kihei, and I can chat with you about the hierarchy of beaches in the area (Charley Young, Kama' 1-3, etc.).

MadRocketSci
12-14-2015, 12:19 PM
Ha, us too, but with a 4 year old eating within 10 min, then crawling under the table and spilling his water all over us, it is less than appealing. My daughter is OK in restaurants, but dear Magnus manages 1 out of 10 times. That is a pretty poor success rate :(

key word for this place is: TAKEOUT :)

it's not really a sit down place...more seafood "deli"...

grawk
12-14-2015, 12:28 PM
You should talk to Dave at Mango Lani. http://www.mauipaia.com/

They don't have a pool, and it's not in Kihei, but if you're looking for a good relaxing place to spend 9 days in Maui, I don't think you'll beat them. It's a couple block walk to the beach, they have a kitchen, and a hot tub. Very laid back.

malbecman
12-14-2015, 03:22 PM
It's not Kihei but we've always stayed at the Papakea up at Kaanapali with our kids. It's very family friendly. There are great gardens to walk around, putting greens and 2 swimming pools + hot tubs + grills. Grocery store within easy walking distance plus the great beaches of the north west side. I just checked your dates on VRBO and there's one place (garden view, not ocean view) that is $150 per night. Ocean view is more like ~$190.

Sorry, i take that back...the place is ocean view for only $150/nt.

https://www.vrbo.com/459966

54ny77
12-14-2015, 03:39 PM
If you go & rent a bike to ride there, PM me a couple of weeks before your visit. I have a Maui bike map that I've lent out to Paceliners for several years now, it's made quite a few round trips and I'd be happy to lend to you as well. Just mail it back when you return.

We went awhile back and I'd love to do it again someday, albeit with MUCH better fitness so I could do bigger things like Haleakala. That's a bucket list ride.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=85150&highlight=maui

Search "maui" on the search function and there's a few threads that pop up.

Here, this might get the excitement going....

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Bike/IMG_5249.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Bike/IMG_5255.jpg

:beer:

d_douglas
12-14-2015, 05:43 PM
Thanks all - this is good information. Yes, the budget is tight. We are trying to keep this lean, lean, lean! I do realize that it is a waste of a holiday if we don't do anything, but we simply need to keep things under control.

Given the nice weather, I am pretty convinced that we don't need anything extravagant, as we will be spending time in the water, sand and chasing our kids on some simple hiking trails.

My wife has polled several people on the subject and she has gotten great feedback on the Big Island as well. As I said, we have never visited Hawaii, so I get the feeling that anything will impress us. That makes us sound untravelled, which is not the case, but most of my travels have been in cooler climates, so I am a bit clueless about tropical holidays. My wife has travelled all over the world, so she's more savvy here, but still no experience in Hawaii.

DAN: I will give you a shout.

cmbicycles
12-14-2015, 05:50 PM
I really enjoyed Kauai and Molokai when we visited 10 yrs ago, worth a look for a laid back trip. Not sure of prices now though. Plenty of hiking on kauai, Molokai is/was a bit less traveled which we liked.

jlyon
12-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Great time of year to be going.

Lots of whales everywhere and the calves are then big enough to be playful.

I love the Lahaina area for views and action over the southern areas. But north gets more rain (seems like it always has a few minutes of mist each day) and south almost always is dry if that matters to you.

I stayed once at Aina Nalu downtown Lahaina for that price you would get a 2 bed 2 bath through VRBO but no ocean view or good beach nearby.
It does have a great lighted pool area and close to all shops and harbor where you can go for day trips and submarine rides.

Now increase your budget to $250 a night and go up to the Whaler and get ocean view great beach with good snorkeling out front and next door to a mall with good cheap food in the food court.

Both of these properties would fit under the time share from the 70s category but both retain good Hawaiian feel over the mega resorts.

malbecman
12-15-2015, 11:27 AM
We've been fortunate enough to go to all the islands with our kids. I would definitely NOT recommend the Big Island for kids...it's more of an adult place...the beaches are much sparser, further apart and you end up doing a LOT more driving (it's the Big Island, after all). As the newest island, the beaches are also a lot more rocky (lava).

Maui is really the best for families & beaches. You will also see lots of humpbackwhales in the channel there this time of year. They've come down from Alaska to have their calves. When we stayed at the Papakea (or anywhere up near Lahaina, etc) , you could see them right from shore. I would drink my morning coffee and whale watch every morning. :beer:

After that, I would pick Kaui and Oahu.

Thanks all - this is good information. Yes, the budget is tight. We are trying to keep this lean, lean, lean! I do realize that it is a waste of a holiday if we don't do anything, but we simply need to keep things under control.

Given the nice weather, I am pretty convinced that we don't need anything extravagant, as we will be spending time in the water, sand and chasing our kids on some simple hiking trails.

My wife has polled several people on the subject and she has gotten great feedback on the Big Island as well. As I said, we have never visited Hawaii, so I get the feeling that anything will impress us. That makes us sound untravelled, which is not the case, but most of my travels have been in cooler climates, so I am a bit clueless about tropical holidays. My wife has travelled all over the world, so she's more savvy here, but still no experience in Hawaii.

DAN: I will give you a shout.

d_douglas
12-16-2015, 02:53 PM
FLIGHTS ARE BOOKED!

Now, to finalize a decision on lodging. We are looking forward to this, so much so that my wife and I have vowed NOT to talk about it with kids, as they will suffer HAF (Holiday Anticipation Fatigue) and not want to go by the time March hits ;).

A fellow Paceliner has recommended the 'Maui Loop' by bike, so I will need advice on renting a bike. I will likely just bring shoes and my helmet and tough it out with casual shorts and a T-shirt on the ride... like old times...

OldDog
12-18-2015, 12:38 PM
Hi D - my wife and I just got back from 2 weeks in Hawaii, a week in Maui, 6 days in Kauai and two days in Honolulu. Maui was great. We stayed in a hotel in Kannakapali Beach, a pricy high zoot Hyatt (anniversary trip) it was nice but when I go back I will find a VRBO or an apartment as almost all our time was out and about exploring.

Get good water shoes as the beaches are rocky, it may look sandy but once you get in the water the jagged rocks are thinly buried in the sand.

The road to Hana is a full day trip. Yeah, twisty pretty roads, but your kids will tire of it soon. If you want the experience of the cliff roads, drive the northern end on the island, it is a great ride and will only take about 4 hours tops, depending on stops and there are many to be made. Scenery everywhere in the island is spectacular.

You have to do the volcano. Peak is 10K feet (actually 10,200 at the observation tower, think thin air) and about 45 degrees. Road is in great condition. We did not bike it, but drove up. One regret was we got to the top later in the afternoon and being so high, the sun was low and shadows covered the lava field south towards Hana, photography was not the greatest.
Would not be a bad idea to have your sweetie drive ahead of you and stop at points as you near the summit, I came across some riders with altitude sickness, would not be fun riding back down nausea and dizzy.

Sunscreen. 50+. And lots of it.

When you get there, go to the grocery store and sign up for the shoppers card. We found food about 30% more costly then here in PA. The card discounts much of that off your bill. Gas was about $3.20 a gallon.

Have a great time. If I think of anything else I will post back. Post pictures when you get back.

Mark

chismog
12-18-2015, 01:16 PM
I like Wailea area (sorta South Kihei). Specifically, great condos available at Wailea Ekahi. They price usually varies based on season, and which unit you decide to rent. Some are bigger, some closer to beach, etc. They're not dirt cheap but you may be able to find a deal.

Ekahi is basically right on Ulua beach, which is a great spot for kids and has excellent snorkeling.

Paia being on the north side of Maui, ocean could be gnarly there during that time of year if swells are up. Kihei and Wailea area are much more protected, especially during winter.

Kaanapali area is pretty nice too, although I prefer the snorkeling around Wailea.