PDA

View Full Version : OT: Parked car hit and run

ajhapps
12-13-2015, 10:04 PM
So, I woke up this morning to find that my car was sideswiped last night. I live in San Francisco, where the general level of human decency is at a minimum, so the driver didn't stop (second time this has happened). I'm assuming this happened due to a drunk driver.

My car is significantly damaged. It is actually stuck half on the sidewalk, resting against a tree. Something is keeping it stuck, so I have to call a tow truck tomorrow, where it'll be brought to the repair shop. I am fully insured (with a $500 deductible, argh), so it'll get fixed.

Apparently someone at least did call the police, likely because my alarm must have been going off. There's a police report stating that it was a hit and run.

Not really posting this other than to vent... but seriously, what is wrong with people these days? Given the damage to my car, the other driver must have been speeding in the rain, lost control, nailed my car, bounced back into traffic, and just kept going. How do you wake up in the morning and just go about your day like nothing happened a few hours earlier?

fogrider
12-13-2015, 10:26 PM
Sorry to hear...most likely, the guy was driving a stolen car and out for a joy ride. I say this from experience.

unterhausen
12-13-2015, 10:27 PM
That's too bad. I fixed a car door for someone that had the same thing happen in Philly.

One of my co-workers lived in a house where the road widened to make room for parking spaces. People would just pile into the last parked car on a fairly regular basis. There was a center line, so no real reason to follow the edge of the road, but drunks aren't good drivers

MattTuck
12-13-2015, 10:28 PM
Sorry to hear...most likely, the guy was driving a stolen car and out for a joy ride. I say this from experience.

The experience of being the victim of a similar incident, or the experience of joy riding in stolen cars? ;)

sorry to the OP... that sucks. "Bunch of savages in this town".... if you are familiar with that phrase.

cmbicycles
12-13-2015, 10:35 PM
Maybe it was "-7" making the rounds again. Seriously though, that stinks. I had this happen 10 years ago, except that the lady stopped, and my car was totalled. Woman spilled her tea and rammed into the back of my parked car, that was my favorite car that I have owned. At least no one was hurt.

ajhapps
12-13-2015, 11:03 PM
Thanks everyone. I guess insurance will fix most of the damage, but kind of bummed about having a damaged front quarter panel where I'm sure the paint won't match when repaired. I've had this car for 13 years and this is the first year I've had to have it in the shop.

Also, I was planning on dropping some cash on a gravel bike... guess that is going to have to wait. Ha, that's probably the biggest frustration.

donevwil
12-13-2015, 11:06 PM
Sorry to hear. A buddy lives in the Haight and has been nailed twice in the last year, same scenario, late night and no recourse. Stay positive, the car was parked and it wasn't you (or anyone else) on a bike.

AngryScientist
12-14-2015, 05:17 AM
Almost certainly a drunk driver. Your car pushed up onto the sidewalk is a pretty significant hit. Obviously driving in an illegal state like that there's no way someone is going to stop if they think they have any chance to escape and not get hit with the dwi charge.

smontanaro
12-14-2015, 05:21 AM
Happened about 15 years ago to my Triumph TR-250. Crumpled fender, right rear wheel pushed up onto the curb. Bastards...

soulspinner
12-14-2015, 05:48 AM
So, I woke up this morning to find that my car was sideswiped last night. I live in San Francisco, where the general level of human decency is at a minimum, so the driver didn't stop (second time this has happened). I'm assuming this happened due to a drunk driver.

My car is significantly damaged. It is actually stuck half on the sidewalk, resting against a tree. Something is keeping it stuck, so I have to call a tow truck tomorrow, where it'll be brought to the repair shop. I am fully insured (with a $500 deductible, argh), so it'll get fixed.

Apparently someone at least did call the police, likely because my alarm must have been going off. There's a police report stating that it was a hit and run.

Not really posting this other than to vent... but seriously, what is wrong with people these days? Given the damage to my car, the other driver must have been speeding in the rain, lost control, nailed my car, bounced back into traffic, and just kept going. How do you wake up in the morning and just go about your day like nothing happened a few hours earlier?

Prolly a drunk and run:crap:

ultraman6970
12-14-2015, 06:01 AM
As you said, if the guy was drunk probably did not realize till next day what happened.

If the damage is considerable, maybe the other guy have to get the car fixed too and as usually happens the other care is almost sure that has paint of your car in the damaged area, probably the cops will do their home work and call all the repair shops for possible suspects, NOT!!

The larger the population, the more chances of getting in touch with people like that we have :/

verticaldoug
12-14-2015, 06:02 AM
Maybe you can get a cheap 360 degree camera for on your dash which turns on as long as the car alarm is sounding. At least you'd have a video to go off of.

However, thieves will probably smash the window to steal the camera so it wont provide any value.