PDA

View Full Version : Climbing Hills and Head Stem

Splash
12-13-2015, 10:40 AM
Hi all.

What (if any) characteristics are important to consider when selecting and fitting the right head stem for climbing hills?

Splash

Cicli
12-13-2015, 10:46 AM
Hi all.

What (if any) characteristics are important to consider when selecting and fitting the right head stem for climbing hills?

Splash

??
Stem changes should be for reach fit. I dont subscribe to the practice of carrying different stems for different conditions while on a ride.

Joachim
12-13-2015, 10:51 AM
What do you mean by head stem?

buldogge
12-13-2015, 10:57 AM
I like to make sure my head stem is screwed on straight before climbing any big hills...I find that it always helps to be in the right state of mind!

-Mark in St. Louis

doomridesout
12-13-2015, 11:00 AM
I can't change my head stem... I was born with my neck the length it was. The best I can do is shoes with a lift.

Splash
12-13-2015, 11:02 AM
I see some head stems angled upwards, and wonder if this has any advantages on climbing hills...for reach or other?

What effect does reach have any impact on climbing hills?

Why do some riders angle their head stem on their bikes upwards?

Splash

Cicli
12-13-2015, 11:04 AM
I see some head stems angled upwards, and wonder if this has any advantages on climbing hills...for reach or other?

Splash

If reach is wrong, fit is wrong. You will not be as efficient.

fa63
12-13-2015, 11:39 AM

Splash
It is typically referred to as just a "stem" and not "head stem"; I think that is creating a bit of a confusion...

Past that small issue, I have heard some people argue about the benefits of having a slightly more upright position (which can be achieved by an upturned stem) to be able to breathe easier while climbing, but I don't buy into it.

AngryScientist
12-13-2015, 11:43 AM
Presumably the bike you use to climb hills is the same one you use to get to the hills and descend the other side, so stem selection should be based on bike fit; imo

macaroon
12-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Lower and longer is better for out of the saddle climbing. Look at Alberto Contador; I think he compromises his overall fit so he can run a longer/lower stem; but he climbs out of the saddle alot.

Splash
12-13-2015, 12:39 PM
Great responses guys - thanks

Great observation made on Contador!

Splash

MattTuck
12-13-2015, 12:44 PM
You want to make sure that your stem is slammed. it is so pro.

ik2280
12-13-2015, 08:43 PM
Presumably the bike you use to climb hills is the same one you use to get to the hills and descend the other side, so stem selection should be based on bike fit; imo

It's key to bring along several stems, you never know what types of grades you'll encounter on your ride.

FlashUNC
12-13-2015, 08:45 PM
The bike you'll be best climbing on is the one that fits.

Dead Man
12-13-2015, 08:46 PM
OP.. you post some funny questions.

To summarize what's already been said: stem has nothing to do with climbing/not climbing... you just want one that "fits" in general

Peter P.
12-13-2015, 08:48 PM
You want to make sure that your stem is slammed. it is so pro.

Funny as hell!

cmbicycles
12-13-2015, 10:38 PM
It's key to bring along several stems, you never know what types of grades you'll encounter on your ride.

Froome wouldn't know which one to stare at.

ik2280
12-13-2015, 10:59 PM
Froome wouldn't know which one to stare at.

True, could be rather confusing for him. But imagine - you could have a slammed stem for when you roll up to the coffee shop and a positive rise one for when you're actually riding.

ajhapps
12-13-2015, 11:19 PM
Problem solved?

http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-RTADJS6.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAy7SzBRD_lv7quOnr6XUSJAA OLkW66wAm98Vfz3NdZDF46dkc8T2XYOIRifnFDLxwYsKyQBoC0 3vw_wcB

wildboar
12-13-2015, 11:25 PM
The stem must be angled up enough so that the bowl doesn't get any water in it.

oldpotatoe
12-14-2015, 05:53 AM

Splash

'Stem'-no 'head', just for info.
Flexibility, torso, arm dimensions, comfort all determine stem length and rise, coupled with head tube length and top tube length. Doesn't matter if going up or down, the hill.