PDA

View Full Version : Record UT BB cups silver vs. green

Gsinill
12-13-2015, 09:06 AM
Italian, OC9-REI vs. OC7-REI.
Sounds like the green anodized ones are newer and lighter?
Any quality difference? Planning to use with a Record 10 crank.

Thanks,
GS

FlashUNC
12-13-2015, 09:08 AM
None really, at least I can't tell the difference between either one.

oldpotatoe
12-13-2015, 09:19 AM
Italian, OC9-REI vs. OC7-REI.
Sounds like the green anodized ones are newer and lighter?
Any quality difference? Planning to use with a Record 10 crank.

Thanks,
GS

3 generations, silver, gold and green. Silver, 1st gen tolerances between bearings and cup larger than gold(better) and green(best). Silver and gold ok but may see some wear inside cup. Lots of grease helps but may get some creaking. No difference in weight or if there is its teeny. Removing silver ones from the 'system' actually part of running change. I had 3-4 replaced by Campagnolo NA.

Gsinill
12-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Thanks all, green it is :)

Hindmost
12-13-2015, 10:17 AM
I experienced the dreaded creaking and clunk with first gen cups on a couple of bikes. The green cups solved it and cups labeled for EPS have worked as well.

thwart
12-13-2015, 10:41 AM
Yep. Unfortunately as the tolerances got tighter the cosmetic appearance went in the opposite direction. IMO.

enr1co
12-13-2015, 10:47 AM
I like the shiny aesthetics of the silver cups and have had no creaking experience with them :)

Have had good luck with the green-ish or gold-ish ones too, except that they tend to show bite marks more easily with even light tightening w/ a tool. Learned to use plumbers tape to help protect from incurring bite marks.

I wish they offered Record cups in black finish option instead of just limiting it only for SR cups (sans gaskets).

buldogge
12-13-2015, 10:55 AM
Just save the gaskets from some spare cups and install them in the SR cups...this is what I did on my latest C50 build.

-Mark in St. Louis

I like the shiny aesthetics of the silver cups and have had no creaking experience with them :)

Have had good luck with the green-ish or gold-ish ones too, except that they tend to show bite marks more easily with even light tightening w/ a tool. Learned to use plumbers tape to help protect from incurring bite marks.

I wish they offered Record cups in black finish option instead of just limiting it only for SR cups (sans gaskets).

Gsinill
12-13-2015, 10:59 AM
Yep. Unfortunately as the tolerances got tighter the cosmetic appearance went in the opposite direction. IMO.

^
this - that's why I was considering the silver ones

thirdgenbird
12-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Eps cups are worth the green color. It's not like they really stand out. As stated, the other option is to pop seals into super record cups.

m_sasso
12-13-2015, 01:23 PM
By chance anyone have some no longer usable cups hanging about, I need some seals for a set of SR cups.
Thanks,

Matthew
12-13-2015, 01:41 PM
Just put Campy on my Colnago. 11 speed. What year did the new green cups come out? I assume my stuff is all 2015 but to be honest I don't know if my cups are gold or green?!! (Not home to look at them). Pretty sure my cups are Record, do they offer Chorus cups? Thanks!! Matthew

Black Dog
12-13-2015, 04:26 PM
Just put Campy on my Colnago. 11 speed. What year did the new green cups come out? I assume my stuff is all 2015 but to be honest I don't know if my cups are gold or green?!! (Not home to look at them). Pretty sure my cups are Record, do they offer Chorus cups? Thanks!! Matthew

All cups are record (green) or Super Record (black-without seals), there is no lower level for the cups. Green has been around for several years now.

Matthew
12-13-2015, 04:35 PM
Great, thanks!!

Peter B
12-13-2015, 04:36 PM
I also liked the appearance of the silver cups but had issues with clicking on several bikes. All wear green now, and no more clicking with the tighter tolerances.

oldpotatoe
12-14-2015, 07:12 AM

Record only, SR w/o seals and black(use Record on SR, IMHO). 5-6 years at least. Running change from Campagnolo to remove silver and gold..I had Campagnolo NA replace 3-4, a while ago.

Kinda green, but dark for sure.