PDA

View Full Version : Confused-Wiggins and Team Sky?

oldpotatoe
12-13-2015, 05:59 AM
Team Wiggins, sponsored by Sky and Team Sky, sponsored by Sky..will they be racing against each other in 2016? Connected? Wiggins just get winched with Braelsford?? Or are they just a track team, 'training' at the Tour of Dubai?

Confused

BdaGhisallo
12-13-2015, 08:07 AM
Team Wiggo is a pro continental team I think - or continental. Wiggins wanted something less stressful than Team Sky to use as a vehicle to focus on his Rio 2016 bid. The team is packed with young riders from the British Cycling program, primarily focused on the track and using selected road events to aid their development. I don't think there's bad blood between Wiggins and Brailsford so this setup gets him what he wants and helps him ease into retirement once Rio is done.

Don't forget that despite all of Froome's success these last few years, in the UK Wiggins is the main man when it comes to cycling. I don't think anyone else is even closed in the public consciousness.

rwsaunders
12-13-2015, 10:24 AM
I recall reading that he was a bit ticked that he wasn't selected for the Sky TDF squad and this article sort of insinuates that was part of the reason for starting his own. Who knows...he does have star power though.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/apr/30/bradley-wiggins-tour-de-yorkshire

ultraman6970
12-13-2015, 10:24 AM
Froome wont overshadow wiggo ever IMO. Totally different riders, different class and after all, wiggo gave to the UK a bunch of world championships that Froome wont do ever.

The other thing is that probably because one is kenyan and the other is english and a sir, will down play Froome forever in the love of the UK cycling community.