PDA

View Full Version : Campy Daytona?

TorelliTom
05-28-2006, 08:34 PM
I have an opportunity to buy new in box campy daytona parts (which I am told is the same as centaur, but they had to change the name?) for probably 50% of the price of the same stuff in current centaur. Is there ANY reason I shouldn't go for it? It would be ergos, and both derailers..

Ken Robb
05-28-2006, 08:39 PM
It was the same as Centaur in that it was the third tier after Record and Chorus but in the intervening years there has been trickledown and I don't think that it would compare with Centaur now--maybe current Mirage would be the closest comparison.

TorelliTom
05-28-2006, 08:41 PM
It was the same as Centaur in that it was the third tier after Record and Chorus but in the intervening years there has been trickledown and I don't think that it would compare with Centaur now--maybe current Mirage would be the closest comparison.

Do you think I would notice a difference in the shifting? I'm trying to build this up as a race bike (cat 5 right now..) and this appears to be a pretty economical way of going for me..

pale scotsman
05-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Daytona was good stuff. The only thing lacking trickle down wise might be the rear derailleur as the current centaur r. der is pretty much the 03 chorus. If you can get it for a good price and you're happy then go for it. It's much better than mirage and veloce imho.

TorelliTom
05-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Daytona was good stuff. The only thing lacking trickle down wise might be the rear derailleur as the current centaur r. der is pretty much the 03 chorus. If you can get it for a good price and you're happy then go for it. It's much better than mirage and veloce imho.

I can buy it all for 50% of the current retail for centaur parts...I think I'm gonna do it.

The bike will have chorus BB, crank, and headset (hidden), and then the daytona levers, and derailers. Not sure which brakes I'm gonna put on it yet...probably centaur.

wasfast
05-28-2006, 09:21 PM
My rain bike is a 2001 Univega steel bike with full Daytona on it. I have 2004 Record on my dry bike. The daytona stuff is just fine. The RD shifts better (more crisp, solid) than the Record does. At the price you're talking about, it's a steal.

Marcusaurelius
05-28-2006, 09:23 PM
I have an opportunity to buy new in box campy daytona parts (which I am told is the same as centaur, but they had to change the name?) for probably 50% of the price of the same stuff in current centaur. Is there ANY reason I shouldn't go for it? It would be ergos, and both derailers..

The 10 speed daytona is the same as centaur (daytona people didn't like campagnolo using their name). The 9 speed daytona came out just before campagnolo changed their 9 speed shifters and derailleurs (2000 I think). I had the 9 speed daytona shifters but switched to 2001 chorus 9 speed shifters and rear derailleur. The newer 9 speed shifter and derailleurs shifter much easier than the older 9 speed.

If it's 9 speed daytona I would avoid it. If it's 10 speed it's the same as centaur.

TorelliTom
05-28-2006, 09:33 PM
The 10 speed daytona is the same as centaur (daytona people didn't like campagnolo using their name). The 9 speed daytona came out just before campagnolo changed their 9 speed shifters and derailleurs (2000 I think). I had the 9 speed daytona shifters but switched to 2001 chorus 9 speed shifters and rear derailleur. The newer 9 speed shifter and derailleurs shifter much easier than the older 9 speed.

If it's 9 speed daytona I would avoid it. If it's 10 speed it's the same as centaur.

Cool thanks, I forgot to say it was 10spd...

chrisroph
05-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Where you getting the goods?

TorelliTom
05-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Where you getting the goods?

LBS that came across the stuff while searching for other stuff...forgot he even had it...I'm a good customer, and he said everyone always wants the latest and greatest...so..