PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a seat-bag for tubulars, please....

catulle
05-28-2006, 08:04 PM
I've traditionally used a strap to carry a tubular underneath the back of the saddle; however, being spoiled by all the new and nifty seat-bags for inner tubes, I'd like to buy a new and nifty bag to carry a tubular. As always, your suggestions and recommendations are truly appreciated and welcome. Thank you for reading and for your kind responses, atmo.

jerk
05-28-2006, 08:11 PM
I've traditionally used a strap to carry a tubular underneath the back of the saddle; however, being spoiled by all the new and nifty seat-bags for inner tubes, I'd like to buy a new and nifty bag to carry a tubular. As always, your suggestions and recommendations are truly appreciated and welcome. Thank you for reading and for your kind responses, atmo.

use a waterbottle. cut off the top.

jerk

catulle
05-28-2006, 08:28 PM
use a waterbottle. cut off the top.

jerk

Dear Professor, glad to see you're back...! I thought that maybe you had joined a commune in Taos and had been busy chasing after local female types with flowers on their hair. A DH Lawrence looking Henry Miller gone wild in Taos sort'a thing, atmo.

BTW, I may be from south of the border and eat plantains and all, but what would Paris Hilton say if she saw me carrying my tubie on a cut-off water bottle...? Jezz, I might even get my Vanity Fair subscription cancelled. Moreover, where would I carry my lupara?

imho
05-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Dear Professor, glad to see you're back...! I thought that maybe you had joined a commune in Taos and had been busy chasing after local female types with flowers on their hair. A DH Lawrence looking Henry Miller gone wild in Taos sort'a thing, atmo.

BTW, I may be from south of the border and eat plantains and all, but what would Paris Hilton say if she saw me carrying my tubie on a cut-off water bottle...? Jezz, I might even get my Vanity Fair subscription cancelled. Moreover, where would I carry my lupara?

he did join the commune. but your new pal imho is here instead. here's what you want bro. this'll get you into all the cool clubs with both the hilton sisters and your former presidente's florida based dermatoligist.

imho

catulle
05-28-2006, 08:42 PM
he did join the commune. but your new pal imho is here instead. here's what you want bro. this'll get you into all the cool clubs with both the hilton sisters and your former presidente's florida based dermatoligist.

imho

Very cool, imho. Hey, thanx. Check your e-mail with news about the lady with the Florida dermatologist.

dave thompson
05-28-2006, 09:38 PM
How about a nice stainless tire cage?

Bill Bove
05-28-2006, 09:49 PM
The also retro alternative to herr jerks cut off waterbottle is the simple sock. Remember when tubular bags were called tire socks? That's why. Put your tire, folded in the Jobs Brandt fashion in a sock, pick a color to match your bike if you must, and twist the excess and fold it over the tire again. Use a leather toe strap to secure it beneath your saddle. Looks cool, protects your tire from harmful UV rays (Al Gore told me that) and gives you a handy rag when you need it.

dbrk
05-28-2006, 11:37 PM
I use the Berthoud bag for all sorts of things but this new version is perfect for sew-ups. Look here: http://www.wallbike.com/berthoud/sewuptirebag.html
Also Ben's Bikes on eBay has them, utterly reliable folks. Here's the picture.

dbrk

bironi
05-28-2006, 11:38 PM
It has class, and I suspect you do.

Too Tall
05-29-2006, 06:09 AM
Bag? Darn thing hit my huge (not) thighs! Roll it up and fit between the saddle rails and use an crummy old leather toe strap to keep it. I usually add a single wrap of cotton cloth to protect the tyre ALSO when the rag gets dirty that reminds me to check my spare and the base tape glue yada.

Some people just put it in their pocket.

keno
05-29-2006, 06:11 AM
love "tyre", Mr. Continental. Remember, dress British and speak Yiddish.

keno

alancw3
05-29-2006, 06:17 AM
not sure which company offers it, but there is a combo tool kit/tire/tube holder that is actually like a water bottle cut in half sidewards with a hinge that fits in a regular bottle holder. i thought it was very clever.

catulle
05-29-2006, 07:04 AM
I use the Berthoud bag for all sorts of things but this new version is perfect for sew-ups. Look here: http://www.wallbike.com/berthoud/sewuptirebag.html
Also Ben's Bikes on eBay has them, utterly reliable folks. Here's the picture.

dbrk

I like. I like the seat post also. Thanx.

dbrk
05-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Bag? Darn thing hit my huge (not) thighs! ...
Some people just put it in their pocket.

This is the classic method, made by Zeus in days of yore, and still around on eBay for just a few bucks. Works great. Nuthin'fancy, very cool, imhoatmo yo.

ml

dbrk

djg
05-29-2006, 10:01 AM
Pretty much anything will work. You've heard some fabled retro solutions (the binda extra strap and the tube sock) and a newfangled budget solution (hacked up water bottle). I've got a length of velcro-faced webbing that holds a cheapie spare that I can pop on a bike whenever. But I recently bought one of those Jannd bags and I think it's pretty nice. It's plenty large, but it's a nice narrow profile so it doesn't interfere with your legs at all and it has a small zip pocket on either side of the main compartment, so you can shove a CO2 cartridge or some keys or whatever in there without mucking with the tire. I got the version with the biketiresdirect logo on it for something like thirteen bucks.

Big Dan
05-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Back pocket works for me.........I'm cheap......... :cool:

Ozz
05-29-2006, 10:12 AM
Here you go:http://cgi.ebay.com/VAR-Spare-tube-or-Tubular-tire-bag-with-strap-NOS_W0QQitemZ7245143671QQcategoryZ56197QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Cheap too.

catulle
05-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Here you go:http://cgi.ebay.com/VAR-Spare-tube-or-Tubular-tire-bag-with-strap-NOS_W0QQitemZ7245143671QQcategoryZ56197QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Cheap too.

Would you hold a tubie in that thing on your Zeus while pedaling around San Sebastian? I wouldn't. I like La Concha too much for doing something like that. Euskadi Ta Askatasuna, atmo. :beer:

mp!
05-29-2006, 01:48 PM
this guy knows

catulle
05-29-2006, 02:02 PM
I bet he knows too, atmo.

catulle
05-29-2006, 02:10 PM
I think I found what I was after, atmo. Hey, thanx.

mike p
05-29-2006, 02:17 PM
and stick it in your back pocket.

Mike

CalfeeFly
05-29-2006, 08:33 PM
I buy a track tubular (about 120 - 130 grams) that can fold very flat and the Pearl Tailgater. There is all sorts of room and very little weight. When I mount my spare...get a new tire...and the spare goes back in the bag. Clean, light and simple.

catulle
05-29-2006, 08:42 PM
I buy a track tubular (about 120 - 130 grams) that can fold very flat and the Pearl Tailgater. There is all sorts of room and very little weight. When I mount my spare...get a new tire...and the spare goes back in the bag. Clean, light and simple.

That's a good idea. Like sports cars.

Too Tall
05-30-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks D.B. I forgot about the classic Zeus bit. I toooootallly forgot about them when I switched bikes. DOH! Love the Zeus carrier. I can not roll my spares skinny enough to fit between my saddle rails so that option is out..and just folding the tyre looks like carp.

Kevan
05-30-2006, 09:30 AM
to wrap the tire neatly within one of those red oil rags, complete with tools and bits, and then use the leather toe strap to cinch it under the saddle.

One other comment to add: Yesterday's ride was briefly stymied by one of our riders losing some of his cleat bolts. We got it all straightened out, but I think from here on out I'll add a couple such bolts to my saddlebag accoutrement.