PDA

View Full Version : Vittoria Corsa CX tubular with red valve - sealant

bikerboy337
12-12-2015, 08:13 AM
Anyone know if a way to install sealant on the Corsas with red valves (no removable valve stem) once they are installed?

Picked up a set of new wheels with there glued on, was planning to add orange seal but can't do that without a removable core....

Would rather not take them off to pull the stem, but I think that's my only choice....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
12-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Anyone know if a way to install sealant on the Corsas with red valves (no removable valve stem) once they are installed?

Picked up a set of new wheels with there glued on, was planning to add orange seal but can't do that without a removable core....

Would rather not take them off to pull the stem, but I think that's my only choice....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure that is your only choice. I took a red valve, cut off the end, use that to screw on-goop in, replace red valve. SO happy the red valve gig is gone.

john903
12-12-2015, 10:22 AM
Hello I have been able to put sealant in my red valve Vittorias, difficult but it can be done. I have the same tires you have on Nemesis rims so these are shallow box section rims. I unscrewed the whole valve assembly which did not want to loosen with the valve removing tool (park) so I had to use needle nose pliers. Once the valve was removed I held the wheel with the valve hole at the 4:00 position and pinched the tire with my fingers and then dribbled in sealant (stans) a little at a time I had to keep pinching and squeezing the tire do make the sealant go in but it worked. Now I only had a slow leak so the tire didn't need much sealant so that was good. I screwed the valve back on but not as tight as before in case I have to add more sealant down the road I then went for a ride.
I did this pre-ride so I had time and all my tools their. I have another pair in the shop for next year and I will just pre-treat them before installing them.
Hope this helps.

Scuzzer
12-12-2015, 10:43 AM
Maxxis MVS valve extenders are a direct replacement for the red Vittorias and they have a removable core. Like OP said, if you have a spare tire with a red valve you can remove it from the tire, snap the thumbscrew off (the core will fall out) then you can use it for filling tires with sealant.

Spin
12-12-2015, 11:24 AM
I use some shrink tubing fitted over a syringe. It's rubbery so it stretches over the valve stem. I never remove valve cores to inject sealant.

etu
12-12-2015, 06:52 PM
i am newb to tubulars like you and also have a pair with red valves. i would just use pitstop. i know in most people's opinions it is not good as other sealants, but it worked well for the one flat i've had so far. hope you're enjoying the experience as much as i am. :beer:

echappist
12-12-2015, 08:06 PM
Maxxis MVS valve extenders are a direct replacement for the red Vittorias and they have a removable core. Like OP said, if you have a spare tire with a red valve you can remove it from the tire, snap the thumbscrew off (the core will fall out) then you can use it for filling tires with sealant.

this. it's what i use. While everyone else like the 3rd gen Vittoria stuff, i still hunt for the red valves as the Maxxis extenders are really nice.

OP, see if you can unscrew the red valve and replace it with the Maxxis