PDA

View Full Version : Campy Experts

Rapid Tourist
05-28-2006, 06:30 PM
I have CAmpy REcord 10 speed shifters on my bike. They are about 2 years old. The rear deraileur shifter used to make a nice crisp "pop" every time it would shift to a lower gear. It has now lost the "pop." Now it is silent when I shift to a lower gear. I guess this happened in the last month or so.

What does this mean? Do I need to have the shifter rebuilt? Should I throw in the towel and buy a new bike???? ;)

Bill Bove
05-28-2006, 06:44 PM
I have it on good authority that shifters, any part for that matter do not wear out on a Meivici. So yes, you should buy a new bike :banana:

But if you don't want to make that large, er huge up front payment you can rebuild the lever. We get 60 bucks to do it, your local price may differ. We usually replace all the pieces in the front of the lever but not the mouse ear. Those do up the price a bit and we don't replace the hoods unless asked, again upping the price. I like the look of a well worn hood and slightly dirty white tape, it looks like you ride.

djg
05-28-2006, 06:58 PM
RT--maybe it's time for a rebuild, but maybe not. Are the chain and cables new this season? Everything adjusted well? There are all sorts of things short of played springs and inner bits that might make things feel a little softer or more sloppy than you'd like. If it's not the other parts, then you certainly can have the brifter rebuilt (or can tackle it yourself, if you're ambitious).

Serotta PETE
05-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Dr. Spokes will have to make another visit to DC (and me to Mr Flydhest's wine cellar). He is the "expert" on campy.

Today he is shoveling mulch over all the gardens at a friends house (no not mine)> He even missed riding today.

Send him an e-mail or give it to Mr Fly to bring down and get fixed.

PETE

Rapid Tourist
05-28-2006, 07:24 PM
That spokes has to be up for sainthood soon--fixing all the Nottrott bikes and mulching too. He would definitely tell me to get a new bike!! :)

cycleman_21
05-28-2006, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE=Rapid Tourist]I have CAmpy REcord 10 speed shifters on my bike. It has now lost the "pop." Now it is silent when I shift to a lower gear. I guess this happened in the last month or so.

QUOTE]

Ahhhhh, it's finally broken in :)

RC

znfdl
05-28-2006, 08:16 PM
RT:

Sounds similar to when mine had to be rebuilt.

A rebuilt one is zinfully good.....

bironi
05-28-2006, 08:26 PM
It is now broken in. Enjoy the soft touch at the finger tips, and the quiet click. Ignore these other fools!

Tommasini
05-28-2006, 08:27 PM
So the "pop" has changed - but need to ask hows the shifting??? If it is still crisp and sure shifting then don't worry. But if is is now quieter as you mention AND slower/sluggish then yes maybe time for a rebuild. If you don't have thousands and thousands of shifts (then I'd suspect the indexing springs) then likely it is the post that holds the end of another spring that helps with the return "action".

Dude
05-28-2006, 09:13 PM
usually that is a sign of some of the parts getting dirty. open 'er up, clean up the jawn, put in some new G-springs, lightly (!!) lube it with a teflon lube and you are good to go.

Crisp as the day god made 'em.

pdxmech13
05-28-2006, 09:14 PM
two quick test will prove that they no longer are strong enough.
put chain in lowest gear and tap lightly on cable
if it releases and shifts to the next gear blammo you need them
or when shifting from the highest gear and the shifter seems lighter action
than in any of the other gear changes.

Rapid Tourist
05-29-2006, 04:56 AM
Thank you very much everyone. The shifters and cables have about 4600 miles on them. I recently put a brand new cassette and chain on the bike but did not replace cables because they seemed fine.

The shifting seems to work well when everything is adjusted. It is not particularly slow or sluggish. I'll try the tests pdx mentioned.

Zoomie80
05-29-2006, 08:50 AM
Hi RT!

Ran into a similar problem with my right shifter recently; lost its "click" upshifting but still shifted fine. I noticed some intermittent mis-shifts so I posted here on the forum and got all sorts of great inputs: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=15981

I suspected a worn/broken g-spring in the shifter after studying the parts and shifter diagram at branfordbike.com: http://www.branfordbike.com/cgi-bin/perlshop/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=push&thispage=brake/brk05.html&ORDER_ID=228779033

After ordering g-springs and few other springs (figured I might as well replace 'em while I'm in there) and taking the sucker apart, I found a cracked g-spring carrier. And I did not order one! A couple of phone calls later I found one at Spokes, etc. in Vienna.

This was my first time rebuilding a shifter--it was an exercise in patience but satisfying knowing I did it. Upshift click is not as loud as before (I like it!)--I think because of I put grease vs. light oil on springs and index gear.

Good luck!

Zoomie

Len J
05-29-2006, 10:19 AM
after only 4,600 miles? Is it me or is this pretty poor durability?

I thought Campy got better with age.

I'm very surprised.....and even more surprised that no one who responded is surprised by the need.

Stunning

Len

cycleman_21
05-29-2006, 10:34 AM

I'm very surprised.....and even more surprised that no one who responded is surprised by the need.

Stunning

Len

Not only surprised, but I would be downright P.....O.., Record shifters? 4600 mi.? rebuild? :no: Sheesh I have nearly that on my Centaur levers and they feel as good as ever. Maybe there's just some buildup or gunk in the derailleur, that usually affects shifting more than the levers if it's working at all. Good luck.

Ron C
Ooops, You mean the " pop " in the lever action, I just came back from my ride and realized that I missunderstood where the problem was coming from, but I am still not retracting the POed comment with that few of miles, unless you are very hard on your equipment, that just does'nt seem fair for top of the line componentry, or for any brand/level for that matter.

Ron C

Jeremy
05-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Hi RT!

Ran into a similar problem with my right shifter recently; lost its "click" upshifting but still shifted fine. I noticed some intermittent mis-shifts so I posted here on the forum and got all sorts of great inputs: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=15981

I suspected a worn/broken g-spring in the shifter after studying the parts and shifter diagram at branfordbike.com: http://www.branfordbike.com/cgi-bin/perlshop/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=push&thispage=brake/brk05.html&ORDER_ID=228779033

After ordering g-springs and few other springs (figured I might as well replace 'em while I'm in there) and taking the sucker apart, I found a cracked g-spring carrier. And I did not order one! A couple of phone calls later I found one at Spokes, etc. in Vienna.

This was my first time rebuilding a shifter--it was an exercise in patience but satisfying knowing I did it. Upshift click is not as loud as before (I like it!)--I think because of I put grease vs. light oil on springs and index gear.

Good luck!

Zoomie

RT,

Check out the forum thread that Zoomie posts. Sudden loss of the defined click is almost always the result of a cracked spring carrier, as he found out. The g-springs are inexpensive, so you should replace them as well when the shifter is rebuilt.

Jeremy

SPOKE
05-29-2006, 04:22 PM
then the most likely issue is a broken "G" spring (there are 2 inside the mechanism). the second option is the magnesium carrier that holds the "G" springs may have cracked. this can all be checked/replaced during a rebuild.

Smiley
05-29-2006, 04:24 PM
So should the Tourist just have both shifters re-built and sleep well for the next two years .

Big Dan
05-29-2006, 04:28 PM
"The click is gone"....sounds like a BB King song................ ;)

stevep
05-29-2006, 04:52 PM
I have it on good authority that shifters, any part for that matter do not wear out on a Meivici. So yes, you should buy a new bike :banana:

i agree... contact bill boves disposal service. for $150 he will recycle your meivici...including all parts... and hopefully the spare wheels.
i am his agent. i take 20%.

Serotta PETE
05-29-2006, 05:43 PM

Stunning

Len

I have not seen them go this soon....(I do not know how to fix them and leave that to SPOKES> If I try to fix anything on my bike he ends up with more work :argue:

I have 6500 miles on mine and it is fine. Some of the mega milers around here need them rebuilt at around 10-12k. Many have lots more miles than that without rebuild.

I really like campy and prefer it, but I have never seen a Dura-Ace or Ultegra break at that miles...

Smiley
05-29-2006, 06:00 PM
RT has a fast twitch thumb and she rides lots of hills so she shifts twice as much as we do :)

stevep
05-29-2006, 07:31 PM
it should be noted that i have about 20k on my shimano 9 spd shifters and they still work fine...although they now reside on my winter bike.
hahaha
cant be repaired but have never needed to be.

SPOKE
05-29-2006, 09:41 PM
i haven't seen a front shifter fail yet. the rear shifter really gets the work out and i have repaired 6-8 of them over the past 3 years. it is a challenging repair. i bet the "To Tall" can get it clicking correctly for you.

Rapid Tourist
05-30-2006, 08:05 AM
Thanks everyone! I agree withy Len J. that 4600 miles feels like low mileage to need a rebuild. I feel like I'm just warming the bike up.

I rode a metric century yesterday, and the shifting is ok. Its definitely more squishy and inexact in downshifting on the rear derailleur, but it still works passably well. Maybe I'll have a rebuild done later in the season. thanks a lot.