PDA

View Full Version : Patching shorts

Bud
05-28-2006, 05:37 PM
OK I've got a pair of shorts that have a hole in them but are otherwise in decent shape. What's the best way to go about patching them? I've got some older shorts I could use for patch material. Do you cut a patch and just stitch it on? Any hints?

Patching info please- I would appreciate not hearing comments like "don't be cheap, just buy some new ones." I'd like to save a few bucks. $ is tight this time of year.

Thanks atmo (imho) bro etc etc

Serpico
05-28-2006, 05:58 PM
I'd call my mom

guys don't know about this kinda stuff

Bill Bove
05-28-2006, 06:08 PM
As a young bike racer I learned many tricks about living cheap. Sit down grasshopper and learn not just one cheap, simple solution to your problem but two! The first and easiest, take a black magic marker and color a square block just slightly larger than the hole in your shorts on the appropriate spot on your body. The second to be employed if the hole is to big to use the first is to put the shorts on, hole and all, now take a piece of black cloth and "boot" your shorts. It works. It stretches with your movements and is easy to do without an expensive trip to the tailor. I can think of a few people I know who should do this to the backside of their shorts.

Bud
05-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Serpico- I haven't gotten a hold of my mom yet ;)

Bill- I like the sharpie tick but think I'll try the boot. Thanks. :D

Kevan
05-28-2006, 07:45 PM
leastin' without any true talent. My guess is findin' that talent will cost you which might bring you back to the start.

imho
05-28-2006, 08:26 PM
I'd call my mom

guys don't know about this kinda stuff

or call a sailor. sailors and hairy-arsed deep sea-divers know about this stuff too.

imho

marcus
05-28-2006, 10:17 PM
It is really easy. Cut a patch to fit over the damaged area. Pin it on with straight pins, all around the edges, making sure to fold the raw edge underneath. Sew it on. No matter how rough a job you do, it's all black and will be just fine. Cheap too!

Peter P.
05-28-2006, 10:23 PM
One of the most important "bike" tools I've ever bought was a sewing machine. It's done more for my riding than any carbon/ti bike part ever could.

If it's just a tear, then turn the shorts inside out, fold the two edges of the tear so they meet on an edge, and stitch together with a stretch stitch. Don't forget to either back stitch or use a locking stitch at the beginning and end of your work.

If the hole needs a patch, buy similar material at the fabric store. Stitch the perimeter of the hole with an overlapping stitch to prevent the material from fraying more. Do the same with the edge of your patch. Sew the two together.

If you can't do it on your own, seek at tailor/seamstress at many dry cleaners or fine clothing shops, shoe repair shops etcetera, or look in your phone book.

Bud
05-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Marcus and Peter for the hints. I think I'll give it a go first and then ask my dry cleaners down the road if I run into problems. I'm pretty sure I can make it happen. Good call on folding the edges of the patch over and using an overlapping stitch.

toaster
05-29-2006, 08:49 AM
If it's a small hole then get a piece of old lycra fabric to use as a patch and Shoe Goo the hole and have the fabric on the inside next to skin.