PDA

View Full Version : Fork-mount workstand vs fenders

brockd15
12-10-2015, 04:37 PM
I have a Feedback Sports Sprint workstand and it's great. I also have longboard fenders mounted for the wet season and they're great.

Putting those two together is not great.

I can take off the rear wheel and still use the stand, but that's not very helpful trying to fine tune shifting. I've been resorting to doing it the way you would if you didn't have a stand at all, which is awkward and annoying. I could take the fender off, but I'd rather not.

Have any of you found a workaround to let you use the stand with fenders?

benb
12-10-2015, 05:24 PM
I have the same problem with my car rack. I pop one side of the fender safety release out, but it's an imperfect solution as it ends up bending the fender stays out of alignment.

brockd15
12-10-2015, 05:56 PM
I have the same problem with my car rack. I pop one side of the fender safety release out, but it's an imperfect solution as it ends up bending the fender stays out of alignment.

I think I remember seeing someone just bent the fender to one side out of the way. Seems like that would cause alignment issues, like you said.

And I'm pretty sure I once saw a riser block someone made for this situation, but I can't find that now, either.

benb
12-10-2015, 06:06 PM
The alignment thing is not a big deal, you do bend the fender the side but when you're done you just bend it back. On my bike the front fender is so easy to remove I'd just remove it for work stand issues.

Peter P.
12-10-2015, 07:29 PM
If I understand the problem correctly, the lower end of the front fender hits the stand before the hub can be clamped in the fixture.

I had a similar problem mounting my bike on my roof rack. My solution was to relocate the fender mounting bracket (the bracket that mounts to the brake bolt at the crown) so I could rotate the fender just high enough to clear the roof rack tray. If I recall it was only an inch or so, therefore a lot of coverage wasn't lost. I see no reason why you couldn't do this for stand clearance.

If you still want to retain that longer coverage, after following the procedure above, you could make a "soft extension" much like some of the leather fender flaps I've seen. That will be easier to move out of the way, without damaging it.

palincss
12-10-2015, 07:37 PM
What a strange workstand. It's like it's crossed with a roof rack or something. If it were me, I'd get a better workstand. Of course, 4 out of 6 of my bikes have fenders.

R3awak3n
12-10-2015, 07:41 PM
What a strange workstand. It's like it's crossed with a roof rack or something. If it were me, I'd get a better workstand. Of course, 4 out of 6 of my bikes have fenders.

its actually probably the best work stand I have ever used. by far.
however its made for race bikes and not bikes with fenders. I love working on my bikes on it but my fendered bike hates it. I put an iphone box under the BB to raise it up and get the fender to fit but this is not a long term solution. I looked everywhere and unfortunately have not found much, I am going to get a feedback seatpost stand so I can work on that bike (and also the front wheel because its just easier)

brockd15
12-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Yeah, it's a great stand, just not so much with fenders. I also have a nice Wrenchforce stand that has the traditional clamp. That would be better for this but it's back in TX.

R3awak3n
12-10-2015, 11:04 PM
I do remember someone here in the forum took a wall clamp and mounted it to the sprint... Maybe I was dreaming because I tried to find it a few weeks ago and could not, but I am 99% sure someone did and posted pictures of it.

vqdriver
12-10-2015, 11:47 PM
I'd look into that riser block or make one outta wood and one of these

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Titan/Titan-Hitch-It-Bike-Truck-Bed-Mount-Black.axd?gclid=Cj0KEQiA4qSzBRCq1-iLhZ6Vsc0BEiQA1qt-ziCISRd3xdRvLKD9ZR2wQD4EBDZgwbAry9kDBXVnpG0aApGG8P 8HAQ

unterhausen
12-11-2015, 12:06 AM
how much do you need to raise it? My first thought is you could cut part of the extrusion off and use that as a riser

R3awak3n
12-11-2015, 12:21 AM
only about 4-5 in and the fender will fit but it becomes more unstable

chiasticon
12-11-2015, 07:08 AM
same stand here. same issue for the last couple years. I just push the front fender to the side and it's fine. it was worse when I had a road bike with fender bosses on the fork, because the was very little give to the fender. it's better now that I'm using the PDW full metal fenders that just go through the QR's on the fork; once I take the front wheel out, there's a ton of flex and it's very easy to just push the fender off to the side. of course, removing and replacing the front wheel is also a little more annoying too, with the fender going through the QR's. but it's a worthy trade-off. better than having to construct a riser block for under the BB.

also, I'd agree with the sentiment that it's a fantastic stand. it's also not weird; I'd say 90% of all pro wrenches use this type of stand (or THIS stand).

how much does it rain in Sunnyvale, CA anyway? :D

oldpotatoe
12-11-2015, 07:16 AM

Actually a real old idea. This made by Campagnolo, Sprint an update.

But I agree..a stand that clamps seat post works well with fenders. I really see no advantage for the sprint type except for goofy seat post bikes(like a lot of TT bikes).

R3awak3n
12-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Actually a real old idea. This made by Campagnolo, Sprint an update.

But I agree..a stand that clamps seat post works well with fenders. I really see no advantage for the sprint type except for goofy seat post bikes(like a lot of TT bikes).

To me the best thing about the spring is working on the BB, bike just feels more stable. I also like that you can turn the stand around on its own axis, work on either side. Seatpost stands work fine but this is a little better to me, unless you have fenders haha

Vinci
12-11-2015, 09:34 AM
I've run into the same problem with my home-made stand (same style as the Sprint) when wrenching on my commuter. Luckily, my fenders are pretty flexible and I can just push the front one off to the side a little without any permanent bends to fix.

chiasticon
12-11-2015, 11:43 AM
I really see no advantage for the sprint typebeing able to stand in one place (i.e. close to your bench!) and turn the bike to get to where you want, instead of moving around yourself (then finding you forgot a tool on the bench, have the wrong size hex, etc...) is really great. especially for cleaning the bike, which I do a lot of when it's fender season.

brockd15
12-11-2015, 11:44 AM
how much does it rain in Sunnyvale, CA anyway? :D

That's a valid point, but El Nino is coming!
Or is it already here? It's rained two days in a row now, which must be some sorta record.

brockd15
12-11-2015, 11:54 AM
how much do you need to raise it? My first thought is you could cut part of the extrusion off and use that as a riser

I haven't measured, but I'd probably need ~10 inches to clear the fender. In other words, the fender is maybe 3 inches from the ground so the bike would need to sit almost level.

I found this and I think it's what I've seen before. Maybe removing the fender when needed is the right answer.

http://myalbum.com/photo/w2kyXP4Nu7Tk/1k0.jpg

seajaye
12-11-2015, 12:17 PM
I'd just get another workstand....

After putting fenders on all of my bikes, really glad I went with the 'normal' seatpost-clamping workstand I bought years ago.

I also made sure to get a platform hitch rack that secures wheels to tray, and then top tube, i.e. no wheel removal, no clampy thing that hooks onto the top of wheels (where my fenders are), etc.

brockd15
12-11-2015, 12:25 PM
FWIW, we have a Thule T2 rack and it works fine with the fenders on. Without them I move the "hook" closer to the fork crown, with them on I just move it to the front of the fender and it works just as well.

HillDancer
12-11-2015, 02:14 PM
This type of stand will work with fenders.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-72LLwOk23c8/TuZd3S1Vx4I/AAAAAAAABSM/1AWarIPfSpU/s400-Ic42/P1010165.JPG

drewellison
12-11-2015, 02:37 PM
Not cheap, but this'll do the trick.

I've got the same issue with my fender bikes. I just use a separate workstand.
Drew

http://www.cheapbikeparts360.com/products/hurricane-fork-up-mount-adapter/