PDA

View Full Version : Campy vs. Fulcrum

dumbod
12-10-2015, 01:21 PM
I'm confused and I'm hoping y'all can help me out.

For years I assumed that Fulcrum was the brand that Campy used to market Shimano-compatable wheels. But, I'm in the market for some new wheels and I've noticed that I can buy Shimano versions of any of the Campy wheels such as Shamals or Eurus.

So can somebody please tell me, what's the difference between the two?

Thanks.

milkbaby
12-10-2015, 01:24 PM
They made Fulcrum for OCD people who didn't want to ride Campy wheels with their Shimano drivetrains.

thirdgenbird
12-10-2015, 01:24 PM
The difference? Spoke spacing on the rear rim and decals...

Fulcrum just gives them better marketing for OEM and aftermarket on non Campagnolo bicycles. Shimano free hubs for campy wheels predate fulcrum. Campagnolo has used the fulcrum brand to sponsor pro teams that ride shimano drivetrains. It's also a good way to market mountain bike wheels.

milkbaby
12-10-2015, 01:25 PM
You can get Campy compatible freehub bodies for Fulcrum wheels too.

FlashUNC
12-10-2015, 01:39 PM
Fulcrum is also generally made in Asia whereas the Campy stuff is made in Europe still. Though I suspect that's mostly just to get closer to the OEM manufacturers, as others mentioned Fulcrum really is their angle into OEM and keeping the OCD folks happy.

velomonkey
12-10-2015, 02:14 PM
For the record - I like to mess with the OCD people.

Campy groupset + Shimano wheels = Mind Blown

nelson
12-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Fulcrum is branching out from Campy a bit these days. They've made a large commitment to disc brakes for 2016 and are not as "rebadged" as they were in the past. Most of the Fulcrum line continues to be made in Europe. Basically only the lower end is from Taiwan for the OE spec.

beeatnik
12-10-2015, 04:59 PM
Fulcrum is branching out from Campy a bit these days. Most of the Fulcrum line continues to be made in Europe. Basically only the lower end is from Taiwan for the OE spec.

Regardless of where they're manufactured, the pricing is highly competitive. Don't think there's a better value for a full carbon clincher than the "new" Racing Quattro Carbon:

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels/road-bike-wheels/racing-quattro-carbon

pdmtong
12-10-2015, 05:08 PM
Fulcrum, while owned by Camagnolo, acts as a separate R/D and manufacturing entity. There may be some parts shared but the designs while similar, are not wholly interchangeable.

Fulcrum Zero is not a Shamal

Fulcrum Zero Carbon clincher is not a Hyperon

If you speak to Campagnolo USA, they know nothing about Fulcrum products.

So the popular notion that Fulcurm is Campy for Shimano folks isn't quite accurate.

There are hub bodies that allow shimano to be used on campy wheels (typically in the case of someone wanting a cassette bigger than 12-29), and campy to be used on Fulcrum wheels. It's a very happy world.

Team Murray
12-11-2015, 01:32 AM
Most or all the extruded Al for the rims is extruded in Asia. This is true for Fulcrum, Campy, Mavic, DT Swiss, HED, Zipp, etc. For low end and normal profile rims, the rims are formed in Asia. Kinlin is the OEM manufacturer that makes the DT Swiss RR465 rims and some of the Mavic rims. If the rims have proprietary machining or finishing, then that occurs in France, Italy or the UK(for Fulcrum, Campy and Mavic).

In this video, you can see that the forming of the rim happens in Italy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYUOLGEPw9Q

Keronite is the special coating that Mavic uses on the Exalith rims; Fulcrum uses on Zero Nite; Campy uses on the Shamal Mille; Vittoria uses on the Elusion Nero; and HED uses on the Ardennes Black. As best I can tell there is a single vendor of this technology in the UK.
http://www.powdertech.co.uk/keronite/
In the website picture, I believe that the rim is the Vittoria Elusion Nero.

oldpotatoe
12-11-2015, 06:27 AM
I'm confused and I'm hoping y'all can help me out.

For years I assumed that Fulcrum was the brand that Campy used to market Shimano-compatable wheels. But, I'm in the market for some new wheels and I've noticed that I can buy Shimano versions of any of the Campy wheels such as Shamals or Eurus.

So can somebody please tell me, what's the difference between the two?

Thanks.

Same hub design on both so with a simple FH swap, a Campagnolo wheel can be HG compatible. Fulcrum a larger, with MTB wheels and cranks, division of Campagnolo, with some offerings made in Asia. One of the very best ways to compete is to start a 'competing' brand and sell.