PDA

View Full Version : More doping: now juniors?

djg21
12-10-2015, 09:13 AM
British junior national 10-mile time trial champion Gabriel Evans has admitted to using banned blood booster EPO in a statement posted on an internet forum.

Within the statement, published on the Timetrialling forum on Thursday, the 18-year-old London Dymano rider admits to buying and using EPO in August. He was apparently caught with a vial of the drug during a training camp in France by a team-mate´s father, who notified UK Anti-Doping (UKAD).

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/junior-time-trial-champion-gabriel-evans-admits-epo-use-203450?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social

54ny77
12-10-2015, 09:16 AM
Why don't people name HOW AND FROM WHOM THEY GOT THE DRUGS???????????????

Man I wish that happened/happens. So very much. It's THOSE people whose lives should be ruined and be held fully culpable as well.

MattTuck
12-10-2015, 09:19 AM
Lots of steroid use in high school. Why would EPO be a surprise?

MattTuck
12-10-2015, 09:26 AM
I guess the bigger issue is whether this debunks the 'old guard' vs. 'new guard' thinking. There is this narrative that I hear about how the new generation of riders have a higher standard because of the problems that cycling has had with doping.

Maybe it is just a single anecdote, or maybe it is the tip of the iceberg. Either way, you have to trace how this individual wound up deciding to buy EPO. Maybe Ricardo Ricco is his coach, but I doubt it. It was probably more subtle... I don't think you just decide to order EPO off the internet one day. If the message at the lower levels is still that it is possible to dope, then the UCI and the national organizations have really failed in their anti-doping efforts.

verticaldoug
12-10-2015, 09:26 AM
just go to alibaba and search for epoetin alfa. It should come up.
At least in the UK, it does. Order yourself some... that's what the BBC reporter who broke the story on Salazaar and NOP did.

As Peter Tosh sang about a different drug- Legalize it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABc8ciT5QLs

D

RFC
12-10-2015, 10:18 AM
Doping is rampant in the high school sports. And guess who is buying the drugs? Dad, who dreams of a pro career for his offspring.

Joachim
12-10-2015, 10:20 AM
If you buy dope for your kids you should go to jail and lose custody of them.

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-10-2015, 10:23 AM
This isn't surprising, it's the American way, win at all costs. Second is losing, period. So relieved my kids are "arty," not sporty.

".........Dad, who dreams of a pro career for his offspring."

Living either vicariously though your kids, or expecting a "cut" of his pro career funds (kids going pro, better chance at winning the lottery). Can it get more pathetic? Apparently not.

djg21
12-10-2015, 10:29 AM
This isn't surprising, it's the American way, win at all costs. Second is losing, period. So relieved my kids are "arty," not sporty.

This was the UK junior TT champ. But nevertheless, my understanding is that EPO is far more expensive than the anabolics often abused by high school athletes. I'd like to know how the kid got it, and if someone else gave him guidance regarding dosing and cycling the drug.

yngpunk
12-10-2015, 10:32 AM
At least in the UK, it does. Order yourself some... that's what the BBC reporter who broke the story on Salazaar and NOP did.

(snip)
D

NYTimes did a series of articles on how easy it was to order designed drugs from China that due to a slight change in their chemical formulation, made them fall outside of the current banned/restricted list.

Look how hard it is to stop the manufacture of synthetic marijuana (K2/Spice). Once one of the chemicals sprayed on the herbs is banned, they just change the formulation and poof, back on the market

yngpunk
12-10-2015, 10:35 AM
This was the UK junior TT champ. But nevertheless, my understanding is that EPO is far more expensive than the anabolics often abused by high school athletes. I'd like to know how the kid got it, and if someone else gave him guidance regarding dosing and cycling the drug.

You'd be surprised how much information is available online about "proper" use of anabolics...wouldn't be surprised if similar info was available about EPO...and you probably don't even have to troll the dark web.

Gone are the days when you had to visit the locker room or your local gym to find anabolics...now you can order from the comfort of your own home.

PQJ
12-10-2015, 10:36 AM

Different drugs is all. Not implying anything about your kids but the ease with which a teenager possessing a little bit of tech savvy and access to cash can get all manner of performance enhancing and recreational drugs (to say nothing of weapons or a trove of credit card info) - anonymously and delivered to their doorstep - is frightening.

ultraman6970
12-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Im with binx, people is way too competitive.... it is time for people to recognize that if they are 23 y/o and are stuck in cat 4, they are already too old, they did not make it into high ranks of cycling here or anywhere but maybe india?. Is the cruel reality.

oldpotatoe
12-10-2015, 11:04 AM

As Peter Tosh sang about a different drug- Legalize it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABc8ciT5QLs

D

Just did, says 'contact supplier', and you can get a sample.

redir
12-10-2015, 11:08 AM

No joke and EPO is very dangerous.

CunegoFan
12-10-2015, 11:21 AM
I guess the bigger issue is whether this debunks the 'old guard' vs. 'new guard' thinking. There is this narrative that I hear about how the new generation of riders have a higher standard because of the problems that cycling has had with doping.

Maybe it is just a single anecdote, or maybe it is the tip of the iceberg. Either way, you have to trace how this individual wound up deciding to buy EPO. Maybe Ricardo Ricco is his coach, but I doubt it. It was probably more subtle... I don't think you just decide to order EPO off the internet one day. If the message at the lower levels is still that it is possible to dope, then the UCI and the national organizations have really failed in their anti-doping efforts.

They failed. Dope testing is a charade to appease gullible do-gooders. It is like Holy Rollers sitting at breakfast during Prohibition, cheering as they look at pictures in the paper of feds busting open barrels of booze in front of the press. Meanwhile their neighbors are dealing with wicked hangovers from living it up at the local speakeasies.

As for the new generation, that is the sort of scam that is pushed on the public by Jonathan Vaughters. In 2006 JV made an initial contract offer to Floyd Landis. The offer was for a huge dollar value. He knew Floyd was doping. The two had talked about it. He also knew Floyd intended to continue to dope. The understanding between the two was that Floyd would continue doing what he was doing. To fund the contract, JV intended to enlist the help of the so-called Champions Club that was linked to Lance Armstrong. He made a presentation to them at the TdF. There he assured them that Landis was clean. One of the club members still on occasion reminds Floyd of this. And that is a guy who promotes himself as a man who has "dedicated his life to fighting doping." The new generation doesn't look like it is being run by people any different than the ones who ran the old generation.

oldpotatoe
12-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Why don't people name HOW AND FROM WHOM THEY GOT THE DRUGS???????????????

Man I wish that happened/happens. So very much. It's THOSE people whose lives should be ruined and be held fully culpable as well.

The female in Canada said she was prescribed EPO by an MD because she was 'anemic', maybe same gig. Not saying it's right but pretty easy to be 'legally' medicated.

e-RICHIE
12-10-2015, 11:49 AM
To fund the contract, JV intended to enlist the help of the so-called Champions Club that was linked to Lance Armstrong. He made a presentation to them at the TdF. There he assured them that Landis was clean. One of the club members still on occasion reminds Floyd of this. And that is a guy who promotes himself as a man who has "dedicated his life to fighting doping." <cut>

Those cats are no different than the riders they paid large money for the privilege of partying and training in Tuscon/Santa Barbara with. It's just that their course was the boardroom and Wall Street rather than roads in Europe and elsewhere. And they also have better protection around them than do the riders they supported with their dollars.

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-10-2015, 12:16 PM

This.

shovelhd
12-10-2015, 01:11 PM
It's not just Masters.

velomonkey
12-10-2015, 01:38 PM
Let me codify what was said by Mr. Tuck on page 1.

Is anyone really surprised by this? Appalled that a parent would coordinate or turn a blind eye, sure. Surprised. Not at all.

Ronsonic
12-10-2015, 07:23 PM
NYTimes did a series of articles on how easy it was to order designed drugs from China that due to a slight change in their chemical formulation, made them fall outside of the current banned/restricted list.

Look how hard it is to stop the manufacture of synthetic marijuana (K2/Spice). Once one of the chemicals sprayed on the herbs is banned, they just change the formulation and poof, back on the market

And the new formulations keep getting further and further from the intended design with more and worse side effects. Same as with PED's - interview with the guy who designed a bunch of the OTC andro-whatevers described the process and the increasing number of compromises necessary.

As for kids, for years the medical excuse went like "little Tommy has anxiety because he isn't as large and muscular as the guys he's playing football with / against. We need to help him feel better about himself."

FastforaSlowGuy
12-10-2015, 08:19 PM
Doping is rampant in the high school sports. And guess who is buying the drugs? Dad, who dreams of a pro career for his offspring.

This. It was shocking how many of my football teammates were in juice and how many parents turned a blind eye or helped fund it. This was pre Internet. I can't imagine how rampant it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
12-11-2015, 06:53 AM
Let me codify what was said by Mr. Tuck on page 1.

Is anyone really surprised by this? Appalled that a parent would coordinate or turn a blind eye, sure. Surprised. Not at all.

Some parents are idiots..another area that's scary-

MattTuck
12-11-2015, 07:25 AM
Kids used to show up to gym class with a doctor's note so they wouldn't have to participate. Now kids are showing up with TUEs so that they can! :hello:

Uncle Jam's Army
12-11-2015, 07:40 AM
This can't be right. I thought everyone stopped doping in 2006???

Skenry
12-11-2015, 12:52 PM
At least in cycling they check the kids.
Yes, in High School athletics there are many many kids taking performance enhancers, but there aren't any drug tests in high school sports. So they might as well be encouraging it.

I have two high school boys at home, one is a two sport letterman the other a three sport letterman for the past two years. We are deep in wrestling season now and its crazy to see the development of some of these kids over the years. Been doing this since junior high so I've watches these teammates and opponents over the past 5 years.

Some are just taking the generic over the counter GNC stuff, some are a walking pharmacy. Coaches don't care, like I said the state (Ohio) athletics assoc doesn't check and coaches are graded on the results of the athletes. Many parents don't care because because they see it as a possible college scholarship someday. That alone can be a $100,000 carrot to dangle in front of someones head...

FlashUNC
12-11-2015, 12:55 PM
Somewhere Todd Marinovich's dad is shedding a lone tear of pride.

batman1425
12-11-2015, 01:10 PM
When I was in HS long ago, we had to sign a waver that allowed the school to perform random drug testing. I never heard of an example of a student being tested while I was there, but it gave them the ability to.

I had suspicions about some kids using "questionable means", and knew one for sure on the football team. I also knew of kids that used pharmaceutical means to make weight for the lightweight events on the rowing team. Not exactly illegal, but certainly dangerous.

At least in cycling they check the kids.
Yes, in High School athletics there are many many kids taking performance enhancers, but there aren't any drug tests in high school sports. So they might as well be encouraging it.

I have two high school boys at home, one is a two sport letterman the other a three sport letterman for the past two years. We are deep in wrestling season now and its crazy to see the development of some of these kids over the years. Been doing this since junior high so I've watches these teammates and opponents over the past 5 years.

Some are just taking the generic over the counter GNC stuff, some are a walking pharmacy. Coaches don't care, like I said the state (Ohio) athletics assoc doesn't check and coaches are graded on the results of the athletes. Many parents don't care because because they see it as a possible college scholarship someday. That alone can be a $100,000 carrot to dangle in front of someones head...

Red Tornado
12-11-2015, 02:38 PM
When I was in HS long ago, we had to sign a waver that allowed the school to perform random drug testing. I never heard of an example of a student being tested while I was there, but it gave them the ability to.

I had suspicions about some kids using "questionable means", and knew one for sure on the football team. I also knew of kids that used pharmaceutical means to make weight for the lightweight events on the rowing team. Not exactly illegal, but certainly dangerous.

My youngest son is in 10th grade and a varsity football player. Our school (central Texas) does carry out random drug tests and just a few weeks ago two kids got busted. The tests are school wide, not just on athletes, so "recreational drugs" as well as PED's get discovered if they're in your system.
He's a serious weight lifter during the long off season (also ran track in 7th & 8th but now just football). He takes Muscle Milk after workouts and a GNC mass builder supplement with breakfast. Coaches told him those brands/varieties were OK (no un-approved ingredients).
Don't know if the coaches feel any heat after a certain amount of kids get popped, or not.
Some of the dosages, though, are crazy. The mass builder calls for 20 oz. of powder mixed with 32-36 oz of liquid. I don't know if I could drink all that in one sitting! We decided he would take 4-6 oz. of powder mixed with 10-12 oz. of liquid. The Muscle Milk is a reasonable serving size/dose.

batman1425
12-11-2015, 03:02 PM
While in college I had a hard time maintaining weight on the rowing team. 10 practices/week averaging 2.5hrs each + normal caloric demands meant I needed 5-6k cal/day just to break even. Sounds great, but it gets hard to eat that much with out the food being total crap - which made me feel worse than not eating enough sometimes. I could have done better with more free time/money but that isn't a reality in college.

They put me and a few other guys on similar caloric shakes and an additional protein supplement (both provided by the athletic dept. - a perk of D1 athletics) to try and make up the difference. The calorie shakes were brutal to get down and were worth about 1500kcal/each IIRC. After drinking that mess following the morning sessions, I was expected to go eat a bigger than average lunch about 90min later. It helped, but was only just tolerable.

My non-athlete friends said the funniest part was watching me, this 163lbs sub 5% body fat kid, just destroying the buffet line every meal like I was on the verge of wasting away (which I kind of was). They didn't even know about the shakes :rolleyes:

bcroslin
12-11-2015, 05:49 PM
Doping Florida style (http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/12/news/florida-cyclist-suspended-for-cocaine-positive_390867)

https://healthhabits.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/cocaine-tony-montana.jpg?w=1200