PDA

View Full Version : Counterfeit Ritchey stem

54ny77
12-09-2015, 01:48 PM
Looks like I got hit with buying a fake Ritchey carbon matrix stem some time ago (maybe 1-2 yrs back), someone most likely unwittingly sold it to me. I had no idea it was fake, it looked like a Ritchey stem and it was in perfect condition then and still is, since i never used it (I swapped everything over to Pro Vibe stems/bars).

Reason I say this is I had just sold two Ritchey stems in the classifieds, one of which (the WCS carbon matrix) turns out to be the fake stem. Buyer did some research as to the model and found a Ritchey post on their website to be on the lookout for the fake stuff, along with images. Many thanks to the buyer for alerting me to this (and of course I gave him full refund).

The Richey counterfeit products link is here: http://ritcheylogic.com/content/tech/beware-of-counterfeit-products/

In the below photo, the WCS stem that I had and is fake is on the left. Moral of the story is if you ever see one like this for sale, don't buy it. If you have one, toss it.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Bike/IMG_20151202_160140_409_zpseekphelw.jpg

vqdriver
12-09-2015, 01:59 PM
so what's the giveaway? i can't tell by looking at it.

54ny77
12-09-2015, 02:04 PM
good question. i've had (and still have on 1 bike) ritchey wcs carbon matrix stems, the real mccoy, and the entire stem has the carbon weave on it. this particular stem has carbon weave only on the tube portion of the stem. the clamp areas were painted glossy black. might be tough to discern from the photos i took.

when i initially got it, i thought it just might be an older one/early model of the wcs matrix stem, and never even gave thought to it being fake.

looks like i was very wrong on that one. was super embarrassed to have sold it to the buyer of course, and gave him a full refund.

MorganColeman
12-09-2015, 02:08 PM
It also appears that the counterfeit stem is missing the green color swatch on the WCS logo.

pdmtong
12-09-2015, 02:10 PM

My guess is the 3k is only on the stem barrel not the whole piece. The ones I am used to seeing are full 3k end-end

FlashUNC
12-09-2015, 02:12 PM
Well done for you and the purchaser on catching this before the worst may have happened.

I know Ritchey isn't exactly known for great graphics on their stuff, but man, that counterfeit one is particularly ugly.

purpurite
12-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Looks like the bolt heads on Ritchey WCS and Pro stems are all tapered, too. Comp level stuff is different but seems like a bad place to target fakes, but you never know.

Quick research on this shows they have been dealing with it for a while, but still with no obvious signs to warn people away from other than price. Plenty of eBay sales are well below market value, but that's always been the nature of eBay. Just because it happens to cost less than retail, doesn't make it a fake.

vqdriver
12-09-2015, 02:20 PM
yeah, i see the carbon weave missing from the clamping ends, but i've seen that before on other brands where they used carbon in the center section and aluminum for the clamps. not ritchey i guess.

the missing green on the logo, aaaah yes.

54ny77
12-09-2015, 02:21 PM
wow, sharp eye! i totally missed that one.

It also appears that the counterfeit stem is missing the green color swatch on the WCS logo.

donevwil
12-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Thanks for posting this. Counterfeit frames were never a risk for me, but components like this certainly are.

Shoeman
12-09-2015, 02:43 PM

It is not really missing it is just a poor rendition of the color.http://ritcheylogic.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Stem-03.jpg

ERK55
12-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Was doing an ebay search the other day for "Cinelli 120mm stem".
A vendor in the far east is selling what are described as new 2016 Cinelli stems, carbon, in a a variety of lengths for < $100.
Looked all over on line and didn't see anything else remotely resembling these.

eBAUMANN
12-09-2015, 03:05 PM
can someone post a link to a photo of a genuine ritchey stem with 3k weave like that? i have never seen one that looks like that and therefore that stem up top would immediately trigger all kinds of red flags for me. not surprised at all that thing is fake.

best thing i can recommend for anyone doing a lot of used buying/selling, familiarize yourself with shapes...what things look like WITHOUT all the logos. Also the small details like the bolts used or clamp designs. Its usually very easy to spot a fake if you know the part in question inside and out.

ebay is chock full of fake stuff these days.

tuscanyswe
12-09-2015, 03:10 PM
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tech/quickspin/05-14a/Ritchey_WCS_Carbon_4-Axis_stem_steerer_clamp.jpg

purpurite
12-09-2015, 03:27 PM
Fake:
http://bicyclebuysell.com/images/upload/1409825059-22.jpg

Typography is fuzzy, bolts are wrong, colors are off, carbon is not wrapped. Knowing what to look for now, it's very obvious.

ryker
12-09-2015, 03:48 PM
Seen lots of fakes on eBay. I've owned a ton of Ritchey stems so maybe the fakes stand out to me.

eBAUMANN
12-09-2015, 03:58 PM
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tech/quickspin/05-14a/Ritchey_WCS_Carbon_4-Axis_stem_steerer_clamp.jpg

you have to be pretty detail-unoriented to confuse this with the fake one...its not even close...

tuscanyswe
12-09-2015, 04:01 PM
you have to be pretty detail-unoriented to confuse this with the fake one...its not even close...

Nope but its most likely the one they "faked"

You do have to consider that this is ppl who buy ritchey to begin with. I think they are more easily fooled! :D

54ny77
12-09-2015, 04:17 PM
yep that was me. when i bought it, it def. stood out as being different, but honestly it being fake was the last thing i thought of. i thought what i had bought was an early model that i had never seen. the first alu-carbon "matrix" ritchey stem i bought was circa '08 or so, and i assumed the one i had purchased somewhat recently was a prior generation of the model. also assumed that even if it was that old, since it's a ritchey in perfect condition it would be fine.

never, ever will i assume again....

Peter P.
12-09-2015, 04:47 PM
I bought a Ritchey Comp aluminum stem on eBay recently and only after receiving it did I suspect it was fake. There were three suspected indicators:

There was no engraving of the stem specs on the inside of the handlebar clamp.

The was no machined, "silver reveal" of the "TR" logo on the stem faceplate.

The silkscreening on the extension did not match any new or older Ritchey offerings.

Of course if it was a counterfeit then I would be concerned about safety of the stem. I contacted Ritchey with my suspicions and provided photos.

They responded and told me what I originally suspected might be another possibility-it was a stem for the OEM market.

Ritchey was very gracious in answering my inquiry.

sfscott
12-10-2015, 10:43 PM
I stopped by a LBS the other week--not one that I frequent but it's next to a restaurant I was a having lunch at. I have had bad experiences at this LBS but went in because they do have a few Colnagos.

In the window, all by itself was a Dogma. Leaving aside why it was fitted with FSA cranks and SRAM Force, i was curious if the guy was picking up Pinarello and was actually going to give Mark at Velo Tech a run.

The owner proudly told me that the bike in question was a Chinarello but made in the same factory by the same people....just 'um, fell off of a truck, so to speak. He claims that there were Taiwanese OEMs at Interbike peddling the frames. They weren't the junk knock-off Pinas...just the good fakes.

If I rode a 56, it could have been mine for $1,800, he says.

I was pretty taken aback that a LBS guy would blatantly pimp a fake bike. I guess his take was that a lone frame in a Cannondale and Felt shop should have been a give-away. Made me want to call the cops or Gita.

velotrack
12-10-2015, 10:49 PM
I stopped by a LBS the other week--not one that I frequent but it's next to a restaurant I was a having lunch at. I have had bad experiences at this LBS but went in because they do have a few Colnagos.

In the window, all by itself was a Dogma. Leaving aside why it was fitted with FSA cranks and SRAM Force, i was curious if the guy was picking up Pinarello and was actually going to give Mark at Velo Tech a run.

The owner proudly told me that the bike in question was a Chinarello but made in the same factory by the same people....just 'um, fell off of a truck, so to speak. He claims that there were Taiwanese OEMs at Interbike peddling the frames. They weren't the junk knock-off Pinas...just the good fakes.

I was pretty taken aback that a LBS guy would blatantly pimp a fake bike. I guess his take was that a lone frame in a Cannondale and Felt shop should have been a give-away. Made me want to call the cops or Gita.

Probably another item to add to your list of reasons why you don't normally go there.

54ny77
12-10-2015, 10:53 PM
That's unreal. What shop & where? They should be named. Seriously.

toytech
12-10-2015, 11:16 PM

I would turn them in, selling fakes is straight up illegal. Especially for a shop!

ultraman6970
12-11-2015, 12:45 AM
You cant complain, the guys did their homework to know who they had to fool eh? :D

You do have to consider that this is ppl who buy ritchey to begin with. I think they are more easily fooled! :D

shovelhd
12-11-2015, 06:27 AM

The handlebar end of the fake is completely different. The real stem has siamesed bolts, the fake does not.

mike mcdermid
12-11-2015, 08:48 AM
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5785/23676217855_b0e673e276_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/C5bNGF)12366420_1081441928573373_42531735531312091 61_n (https://flic.kr/p/C5bNGF) by Bicycle Manufacturing (https://www.flickr.com/photos/134931250@N03/), on Flickr

it happens

MattTuck
12-11-2015, 08:53 AM

Is that sarcasm, or is there something about Ritchey stems that I should know about? I always thought they were legit.

macaroon
12-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Is that sarcasm, or is there something about Ritchey stems that I should know about? I always thought they were legit.

They're not the best stems out there.......

Or at least; the style shown i nthe OP weren't

I think they've got their act together with the newer C260/C220 stuff

tuscanyswe
12-11-2015, 09:13 AM

Nah nothing behind that post other than my loss of love for ritchey stuff. Don't know what it stems from but i never liked the stems bars nore seatposts.

Lewis Moon
12-11-2015, 09:16 AM
They're not the best stems out there.......

Or at least; the style shown i nthe OP weren't

I think they've got their act together with the newer C260/C220 stuff

Wow, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder. I Googled the C260 and was completely gobsmacked with just how blisteringly ugly it was.
YMMV.

Joachim
12-11-2015, 09:19 AM
I have them on a few bikes and I think the WCS 4 axis stems are ideal aesthetically for steel frames since the diameter matches the diameter of the top tube much more closely than an Enve or anything of these other massive sized stems. I do remove all the Ritchey logo's though.

tuscanyswe
12-11-2015, 09:24 AM
I have them on a few bikes and I think the WCS 4 axis stems are ideal aesthetically for steel frames since the diameter matches the diameter of the top tube much more closely than an Enve or anything of these other massive sized stems. I do remove all the Ritchey logo's though.

For those scenarios i use zipp alu stems.

I'm no fan of the enveエs stems tho regardless of frame more or less but obv worse on slim steel frames.

Joachim
12-11-2015, 09:25 AM
For those scenarios i use zipp alu stems.

I'm no fan of the enveエs stems tho regardless of frame more or less but obv worse on slim steel frames.

Good choice, but it looks like the 2015 Zipp SC sl stems have some kind of box shape to them. I like the C220, which I'm going to get painted to match the frame. The other stem that works well with steel frames is the pre 2015 3T ARX stem. The new ones with that single fork steerer clamp bolt just doesn't look right to me.

MattTuck
12-11-2015, 09:27 AM

Yeah, those carbon ones are a bit much (aesthetically and pecuniarily). The alloy ones, I had always heard, were solid stems.

Joachim
12-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Yeah, those carbon ones are a bit much (aesthetically and pecuniarily). The alloy ones, I had always heard, were solid stems.

They are, at least for me. The Ritchey in the above pic also does not have an opening were you can see the fork steerer. a plus for me.