PDA

View Full Version : DKS, ST & Terrapalne vs Gestalt-Issimo

SoCalSteve
05-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Hi all,

I was very excited to take delivery of my Kirk with the Terraplane rear end because, like many of you, I was curious to see how it stacked up against the DKS and ST rear ends of Serotta.

I promised that I’d write a ride report about the three different rear ends and compare them. What I found out really surprised me. Let me explain. But first a little back story of all three bikes (I hope I don’t bore you).

Hors Categorie with the DKS rear end:

A few years back, Dave Kirk himself had his personal Hors Categorie for auction on ebay. I had never heard about the DKS rear end and Dave was more than generous with his time on the phone and through emails to explain how it worked, if his bike would work for me, etc. I was very excited to own one and see what it was all about for myself. Well, I was outbid at the last few seconds and thoroughly bummed. I swore that if another came up in my size, I’d buy it!

Another one in my size came up years later with a “Buy it Now” option. Well, I used that option and by the following week, I was riding that bike daily. I enjoyed the comfort that the rear end afforded and how well it handled. I was very impressed by the fact that I did a 7.5 mile mountain descent and when I got to the bottom I checked the “max” speed on the computer and it was well over 40 MPH. I had no idea I had hit those speeds as the bike is extremely stable.

I liked the bike so much so that I disassembled it and send it to JB for a very expensive repaint. I got it back from JB, put nicer components on it and still enjoy riding that bike.

Ottrott with the ST rear end:

I am always one to try out cutting edge technology and when the Ottrott came out, I was excited to buy one and give it a whirl. Well, being that they are very expensive to buy new and that not so many have been produced, my wait to find one used in my size was pretty long.

I finally found one that would “work” with a little tweaking. It had a little longer top tube than I usually ride and the angles were not perfect, but the price was right and so I made the leap. After replacing the fork with one that was more stable (thanks Smiley), going through a few stems and seat posts, I finally dialed it in. The ride is excellent. .The ST rear end is very subtle and works in conjuncture with the tubing to give it a very sublime ride. Kind of like a sporty Cadillac. A bike that you can do a Century on, get off the bike and not feel beat up at all. It’s a bike I enjoy riding for longer events.

Kirk Frame Works with the Terraplane rear end:

I always new that Dave and I would do business. He has been so generous with his time and knowledge regarding my Hors Categorie that it just felt right buying a frameset from him. The fact that it had a trick new rear end just made it that much more appealing to me. When I contacted him and he told me it was a 6 month wait, I had mixed feelings. One, of happiness for him that he was doing so well and two that Damn it! I had to wait 6 months. No matter, I sent him a check and waited.

From start to finish, the process of chatting with Dave about geometries, what I wanted the bike to look like, do etc , checking out the ongoing process of his building my bike (through photo’s) and dealing with JB was all great fun. When the frame showed up at the house, I was truly excited to build it and ride it. It built up very easily and was great fun admiring his and JB’s work as I put it all together.

OK, for the “Gestalt-issimo” part of this very long (and hopefully not too boring ride report). From the second I got on the bike, I knew there was something different about it than any other bike I’ve owned. It just felt different and I wasn’t sure why. After doing a nice long climb and an even longer descent, I knew what it was. Dave nailed it. Not just the geometry or the tube selection or the bend of the Terraplane seat stays, he nailed the “Gestalt” of it all. The bike just feels correct. There are so many trite sayings I could use now, but one keeps coming back to mind: Confidence inspiring. From the first curve of the first descent, I just knew this bike was right. It just felt that way.

And that’s what the surprise is. I don’t think I have ever felt this “Gestalt” before in any bike that I’ve ever owned. Whether it be a used bike that I bought on ebay or a new bike from a bike store (and believe you me, there have been plenty of both) none have felt so right or so correct, especially so quickly.

So, to answer the question of what is better, DKS, ST or Terraplane, I really cannot answer that question as they all do what they are supposed to do. But what I can say is: Thank you Dave for making this bike so right. And yes, it is about the “Gestalt-Issimo” of it all.

Steve

Serpico
05-28-2006, 11:48 AM
perfect! :beer: wow

Shredder
05-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Gorgeous. I love the orange. Is that a painted carbon fork(looks like it to me)? If not, do you recommend the steel fork? If so, why did you chose carbon over steel?

Interstingly, at virtually the same time you posted, I was posting a q re: the Kirk v. Ottrot that you partially answered.

Tom Byrnes
05-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Hi Steve,

Congratulations on your beautiful new Kirk and thanks for your detailed comparison of those three great bikes.

I know what you are talking about when you describe how generous and helpful Dave Kirk is. I met him at Douglas's TDFL II, and after listening to him describe the bike building process in detail and patiently answer many questions, I knew that I wanted to buy a bike from him.

Well, I did and it is a magnificient bike, Like your bike, Dave nailed my Terraplane for me. He had seen me riding Douglas's Legend ST and after talking and getting some measurements from me, he built me the Perfect Bike. I know exactly what you are referring to when you describe the 'Gestalt" of your Kirk.

It looks like your bike is painted the same beautiful orange that Tailwinds has had on her two Kirks. I hope to ride with you soon and see it in person.

Enjoy.

Tom

Smiley
05-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Silver seat post Steve , you should know better :) Sounds like you have many wonderful bikes . Now do you have enough time to ride them all. At Nottrott 2006 I rode my Kogswell fixee on Fridays ride , My Uniscasi for the Saturday ride and Sunday I rode with my wife on the tandem for the Sunday ride. So far yesterday I rode the tandem on a 47 mile fast club ride and today was fixee time, Tomorrow Nope I go sailing . Now by my last count you have a CSI still in your stable and the Peg as well as a Colnago too , I have a solution start buying 58 cm frames :banana:

How does the Kirk stack up geometry wise with your other best fitting bike you have cause the Kirk is the only custom you bought for yourself right ?

Fixed
05-28-2006, 01:51 PM
great looking bike bro . it's nice enjoy
cheers

tbushnel
05-28-2006, 02:05 PM
I am curious also about the choice of Carbon fork over Steel. I wanted to know your thinking there because I am thinking ahead to my next bike purchase (very long time from now, but a guy can dream) and the same issue comes up for me. Carbon or steel?
Happy and safe riding to you.
ted. :banana:

SoCalSteve
05-28-2006, 02:37 PM
Hi Steve,

Congratulations on your beautiful new Kirk and thanks for your detailed comparison of those three great bikes.

I know what you are talking about when you describe how generous and helpful Dave Kirk is. I met him at Douglas's TDFL II, and after listening to him describe the bike building process in detail and patiently answer many questions, I knew that I wanted to buy a bike from him.

Well, I did and it is a magnificient bike, Like your bike, Dave nailed my Terraplane for me. He had seen me riding Douglas's Legend ST and after talking and getting some measurements from me, he built me the Perfect Bike. I know exactly what you are referring to when you describe the 'Gestalt" of your Kirk.

It looks like your bike is painted the same beautiful orange that Tailwinds has had on her two Kirks. I hope to ride with you soon and see it in person.
Enjoy.

Tom

Tom,

The last time I rode with you, you were on your Kirk and I remember you telling me how nice it was.

I'd love to ride with you anytime! If there is going to be a "Nottrott West" then there as well. Let me know your schedule and maybe we can plan something soon.

Steve

SoCalSteve
05-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Gorgeous. I love the orange. Is that a painted carbon fork(looks like it to me)? If not, do you recommend the steel fork? If so, why did you chose carbon over steel?

Interstingly, at virtually the same time you posted, I was posting a q re: the Kirk v. Ottrot that you partially answered.

I chose carbon over steel because of a few reasons. Its a Reynolds Ouzo Pro and I really like that fork. Two, I wanted a more modern bike with OS tubing and Dave can only do steel forks in 1". I wanted 1 1/8". He said that he would build the frame around the Ouzo Pro. He did and it works well!

Steve

SoCalSteve
05-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Silver seat post Steve , you should know better :) Sounds like you have many wonderful bikes . Now do you have enough time to ride them all. At Nottrott 2006 I rode my Kogswell fixee on Fridays ride , My Uniscasi for the Saturday ride and Sunday I rode with my wife on the tandem for the Sunday ride. So far yesterday I rode the tandem on a 47 mile fast club ride and today was fixee time, Tomorrow Nope I go sailing . Now by my last count you have a CSI still in your stable and the Peg as well as a Colnago too , I have a solution start buying 58 cm frames :banana:

How does the Kirk stack up geometry wise with your other best fitting bike you have cause the Kirk is the only custom you bought for yourself right ?

I ride them all, yes. I am blessed to have a job where I have a 3 month hiatus every year. I ride 4-5 times per week during my hiatus and I commute to work during the year as well as ride after work and on the weekends.

I also have a Trek Y-Foil. So, I have 3 Serotta's (CSI, Ottrott and Hors Cat) the Peg BLE, the Colnago C-50 and now the Kirk.

The Peg BLE is also custom built for me "Jerk approved" geometry. But, its like comparing apples to oranges, between the Peg and the Kirk. The Peg is a race bike, very very stiff and a very fast all out Euro racer. The Kirk is much more refined, a more all around bike.

As for buying 58's...Not Gonna happen anytime soon.

Steve

FierteTi52
05-28-2006, 03:26 PM
I don’t think I have ever felt this “Gestalt” before in any bike that I’ve ever owned. Whether it be a used bike that I bought on ebay or a new bike from a bike store (and believe you me, there have been plenty of both) none have felt so right or so correct, especially so quickly.

Steve

Steve,
I feel the same way about my Kirk. The bike just does everything right! I had mine out in the hills today for the first time and the bike decends solid and, climbs very nice. The bike performs like it's your best friend.
Your bike looks great! Enjoy it!
Jeff

bironi
05-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Great colors. Enjoy!

dirtdigger88
05-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Gestalt-

Thats a good word for it- I just told someone yesterday on a ride- that I didnt know if its pixie dust- magic mojo- or a deal with the devil himself- but my kirk rides like no other bike Ive ever been on -

I cant really point to the one thing it does so well- because it does everything so well- the bike just feels right-

Jason

Tailwinds
05-29-2006, 10:00 AM
OK, for the “Gestalt-issimo” part of this very long (and hopefully not too boring ride report). From the second I got on the bike, I knew there was something different about it than any other bike I’ve owned. It just felt different and I wasn’t sure why. After doing a nice long climb and an even longer descent, I knew what it was. Dave nailed it. Not just the geometry or the tube selection or the bend of the Terraplane seat stays, he nailed the “Gestalt” of it all. The bike just feels correct. There are so many trite sayings I could use now, but one keeps coming back to mind: Confidence inspiring. From the first curve of the first descent, I just knew this bike was right. It just felt that way.

:beer: My sentiments exactly...

Is your paint the pearl color? It looks more like a solid orange from your picture, but it's hard to tell.

Congratulations on your Terraplane!

Big Dan
05-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Steel baby....enough said.........enjoy......... :bike: