PDA

View Full Version : Hipster satnav

ceolwulf
12-09-2015, 11:45 AM
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1411369083/beeline-smart-navigation-for-bicycles-made-simple/description

I actually ... kind of want one?

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/09/5fbf8055619ecee42bc1a73261c0bf74.jpg

cdn_bacon
12-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Seems like a fun toy to get you around town.:D

brockd15
12-09-2015, 12:10 PM
I actually ... kind of want one?

Me too.
I like it.

ultraman6970
12-09-2015, 12:23 PM
in london UK probably works, same with pretty much all south america and europe, but here???? Imagine that you need to cross a HWY... or go where there's no sidewalk (normal in the US) or going against the traffic in a main avenue.

If a city was built for walking, then you can ride your bike the same way than walking and that device would be fantastic, but here??? some places theres no sidewalks, hwy cant be crossed, etc etc.

Good device tho, can be used for walking too.

Cicli
12-09-2015, 12:49 PM
I have a bike like that out by the shed. PM me for details.

Saint Vitus
12-09-2015, 01:07 PM
Stem's too short.

redir
12-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Last year I went with a kid from the local University team to a bike race, I work in the University town and ride regularly and race with the bike team. We had no GPS but I had a map. One of those state by state Atlas Gazetteers if you know what I mean. Basically a highly detailed map with topography and every single road from jeep trails to super high ways on it. This kid was majoring in Physics and he literally could not read the map. I mean literally! He just stared at it with a blank face, no clue.

So I guess my point is that either these devices are a God send for people like this or thanks to these devices a simple task like reading a map is becoming a lost 'art?'

benb
12-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Cute design but you've been able to do this with a huge ton of GPS receivers since forever. Early receivers ONLY did this.

It's not very much fun at all once you've done it a couple times. (I have)

Any Garmin with an off-road nav function still does it, but you can only get the waypoint in there if it a) has a mapping feature too b) You have something (like a smartphone) to look the GPS coordinates up on.

It's not fun at all trying to navigate this way when you are stuck in a maze of one way streets and say highway crossings and such, but then again I guess if you're a hipster you don't care about getting anywhere and you don't worry about stuff like getting caught out after dark. (I guess you don't care about stuff like riding the wrong way down streets, etc.. too)

Gotta give them credit for using eInk... I love that stuff.

likebikes
12-09-2015, 03:23 PM
dq: what's hipster about this product?

velomonkey
12-09-2015, 04:04 PM
Anyone who has ever played assassin's creed knows this - it basically tells you the direction and distance to your next task location, but no directions - it's up to you to get around, over, through whatever is in your way.

It's also infuriating.

I thought these guys have a good product for navigation on a bike (http://hammerhead.io/about.php#) - plus they got a firefly in the promotional video.

smontanaro
12-10-2015, 07:58 AM
dq: what's hipster about this product?

The description, for one:
It strips back navigation to the bare basics, turning convention completely on its head and resurfacing your natural instinct to find the way.

"Resurfacing your natural instinct"? ··· is that? Maybe it's new age lingo, not hipster lingo.