PDA

View Full Version : Storck vs Serotta

MallyG
05-28-2006, 11:22 AM
I've just come back from a five-day ride in Italy - based in Riccione with some epic daily rides including some good climbs (Verucchio, San Leo & San Marino in one route!).

This time I took my Storck Scenario CD 1.0 (as reviewed in this months Cycle Plus btw).

It's an incredibly light carbon bike, but also very stiff. I have it fitted out with carbon 50/36 rings at the front and full campag record elsewhere. The wheelset is Zipp 303.

There's no doubt that this is a mean racing machine, extremely fast. It's swift in transmitting increased pedal power to speed on the flat.

On hills, the lightness of the bike and the 36 small ring took the severity out of most climbs (even a few 15% stretches).

However, I prefer the climbing position on my Legend with a slightly higher head tube (I find that climbing is as much about position and breathing as it is about weight of bike).

I'll be honest - I found descending pretty scary at times. The lightness of the bike, coupled with the deep rims of the Zipps meant that I often felt less secure going downhill on the Storck than I do on the Legend. The road surfaces in Italy can be a bit shabby and I felt every bump, which didn't help my confidence going down. However, by day 4 I was getting more used to it and realised that by gently steering with my backside the bike would pretty much go where I wanted.

The real difference was at the end of each day (and indeed at the end of the whole ride). My shoulders and upper arms were in so much pain. Whether that was from the stiffness of the bike, the more aggressive positioning or the narrower handlebars I don't know. But for a ride consisting of five long days in the saddle, I'd have to say the Legend was more comfortable.

I suppose I could start making changes to the Storck - shorter stem to bring the handlebars closer to the saddle, etc - but the bike shop would accuse me of compromising.

There's no doubt that the Storck is a great bike, but I'll probably use it for shorter faster rides and take my Serotta on the long tours.

Ray
05-28-2006, 11:28 AM
I suppose I could start making changes to the Storck - shorter stem to bring the handlebars closer to the saddle, etc - but the bike shop would accuse me of compromising.
Thanks for the review - interesting observations. But if you can get the Stork closer to where you really like it with a few tweaks, so what if the bike shop accuses you of genocide, or having gas, or something equally horrid. And compromising? Its about YOUR enjoyment of the bike, no? They should be grateful for your business.

-Ray

MallyG
05-29-2006, 05:06 AM
Of course you are correct. However, there is an element of 'horses for courses' as well. The Storck is deliberately built with a longer top tube (it's part of their design ethos) and they want the rider to adapt accordingly, even if it is less comfortable. I guess it's like driving a high-end sports car - it's never going to be as plush and comfortable as a luxury saloon. Then it becomes a case of which particular vehicle you take on different kinds of journeys.

Or perhaps this is BS and a bike is a bike is a bike, in which case any high-end frame should really be capable of being ridden over any kind of terrain and distance.

Ray
05-29-2006, 05:36 AM
Matter of degree I guess - I wouldn't suggest turning a purebred racer into a rando bike or a tourer. But if you can tweak the stem or handlebar width or saddle position within the design parameters of the frame to make it more comfortable for you...

-Ray

froze
05-29-2006, 07:12 AM
Problem is your use to riding your Legend the way it is and when switching to something set up differently your going to have aches on long rides because your body isn't use to it. If you try to set up the Storck as close as possible to the body position you use on the Legend then your aches greatly will be reduced.

Fixed
05-29-2006, 07:34 AM
bro use one for fast short group/race and one for long training miles
cheers i.m.h.o.
cheers

wasfast
05-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Another vote for duplicating the fit, then re-evaluate the Storck for longer rides. The position difference to your body is much more in evidence on long rides since you're stressing different muscles for long periods of time.

I have a 15.5 lb Giant that also can feel a bit sketchy on fast decents due mostly to it's light weight. Wind can easily move me about even though I'm 190lbs and standard depth rims. My rain bike never feels this way and is 10 lbs heavier. Outwardly, this difference shouldn't be the root cause but I've encountered this multiple times.

Smiley
05-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Mally G , I am assuming that even if you get the measurements close to the same the bikes won't still be the same. I am betting the Legend has a longer wheel base, lower bb , longer trail and just was built for road riding where as the other bike is probably more a crit geometry. Enjoy both bikes for the intended design purpose and don't try to make them the same.