PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Serotta

toon-time
05-28-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm finally looking at investing in a new bike. I'm currently riding a late 80's Pinarello that I bought used in high school about 15 yrs ago. I've convinced my wife to let me start looking since I'm planning to do the AIDS ride with my sister from San Fran to LA next year. I live in Chicago and ride about 15-30 miles a day (depending how early I wake up). I've got a budget of $2500 (but am sure I'll go over a bit as what usually happens). I'm willing to spend a little more to get something that is going to last a lot longer and curb upgrade itches down the road. I've got my groupo picked out (Campy Veloce) and am starting to look at frames & forks. I'm leaning towards Serotta Fierte Steel but am considering blowing the budget to get Fierte Ti. I'm planning on having this bike for a LONG time. Do you think it's worth the upgrade to Ti? I have to start buying flowers for my wife now. Are there any other frames I should consider? Am I looking at too much bike for my budget?

My second question is about forks. Since Serotta frames don't come with forks, what is the difference from an Easton or Serotta fork vs a Performance/Nasbar brand carbon fork? Is it going to make a huge difference in ride between the two? This looks like a place where I could save a considerable amount of $ in my budget. I figure even if the Performance/Nashbar fork doesn't last as long for the price difference I could replace it about 3 times before it cost me the same as an Easton/Serotta fork.

Thanks for the advice.

djg
05-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Forks. There are big differences in handling between forks. I don't know that there's anything wrong with the performance-labeled forks, but I just have no idea what they are (and the spec may float a bit). If you don't want to spring for Serotta's own, they will sell you a good reynolds fork for less money or a columbus fork for round about the same price as a no-name discount house fork.

They build a nice bike, period. If the fierte sizes and geo are what you are looking for, I don't see how you'd go wrong either way (although the ti one bumps your budget a lot). Personally, I'd consider the cda, which gives you a custom built frame with their best steel tubeset, at a price in between the two fierte frames. It'll still spank the budget, but you can price things out and see how much and make your own call. There's nothing the least bit wrong with considering the least expensive (and not cheap) option. Indeed, if you know what you want, and watch the board, and have some patience, you might find a killer deal on a used, but excellent, legend, or CIII, or something--ya know, legends with first rate kit go for less than your budget all the time. The veloce should work well, and I've seen some good deals around on centaur too. You can get good wheels without getting bling wheels, and a new set of wheels is an easily compartmentalized upgrade down the road.

SoCalSteve
05-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Forks. There are big differences in handling between forks. I don't know that there's anything wrong with the performance-labeled forks, but I just have no idea what they are (and the spec may float a bit). If you don't want to spring for Serotta's own, they will sell you a good reynolds fork for less money or a columbus fork for round about the same price as a no-name discount house fork.

They build a nice bike, period. If the fierte sizes and geo are what you are looking for, I don't see how you'd go wrong either way (although the ti one bumps your budget a lot). Personally, I'd consider the cda, which gives you a custom built frame with their best steel tubeset, at a price in between the two fierte frames. It'll still spank the budget, but you can price things out and see how much and make your own call. There's nothing the least bit wrong with considering the least expensive (and not cheap) option. Indeed, if you know what you want, and watch the board, and have some patience, you might find a killer deal on a used, but excellent, legend, or CIII, or something--ya know, legends with first rate kit go for less than your budget all the time. The veloce should work well, and I've seen some good deals around on centaur too. You can get good wheels without getting bling wheels, and a new set of wheels is an easily compartmentalized upgrade down the road.

You can usually find pretty good deals on Reynolds Ouzo Pro's on ebay. As long as you know the fork rake needed, your in! Its probably the best fork available and yes, it will make a big difference in the overall ride quality and handling.

The Serotta forks are all based on the Reynolds Ouzo Pro.

As for Steel or Ti, you wont go wrong either way. You can save money, go steel and upgrade wheels, etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide. You are on the right road (no pun intended).

Steve

Smiley
05-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Steve , I am sure you meant to say that Serotta builds their frames around the Reynolds Spans for their forks, most defaults for rake from Serotta are 43 mm until you get to the smaller frames which they change for TCO cases. But yes If I was to pass on an F3 fork my only other choice is the Reynolds Ouzo Pro ... period and it will make a difference.

rePhil
05-28-2006, 12:32 PM
A Fierte would be a great choice.Since you say you will keep it a long time, I say upgrade to Ti. A huge plus in addition to the ride is no worries about rust / paint issues. I have had every steel frame I owned minus 1 resprayed at least once. Thats behind me now. My philosphy has changed a bit too. My bikes are more tools to be ridden than they are collectable works of art. Besides, I think the "industrial" finish looks great. Not to mention the ride of good Ti.
Don't skimp on the fork.
Enjoy your new bike experience, and remember it's all about the fit.

malcolm
05-28-2006, 03:23 PM
look at new horizons sports. They frequently have frameset on clearance and last week had several steel and Ti fiertes. The prices are quite good.

toon-time
05-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Any ideas to how much I should expect to pay for Fierte Ti or steel? % off MSRP?

Fixed
05-28-2006, 08:50 PM
bro what's wrong with your bike ?
cheers

toon-time
05-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Nothing is wrong with my bike... two wheels, chain, pedals, etc. all working condition. After 15 years, I'm treating myself...

saab2000
05-28-2006, 09:54 PM
I'm leaning towards Serotta Fierte Steel but am considering blowing the budget to get Fierte Ti. I'm planning on having this bike for a LONG time. Do you think it's worth the upgrade to Ti?

My second question is about forks. Since Serotta frames don't come with forks, what is the difference from an Easton or Serotta fork vs a Performance/Nasbar brand carbon fork?

1. Ti is not necessarily an "upgrade". Or better put, steel is not inferior to Ti. With your budget I would stick with steel. I have a steel Serotta and I don't know why I would want a Ti one. I have a Ti bike and am not crazy about some characteristics of the material. Nothing wrong with steel.

2. The Serotta F3 fork is one of the best one market, if not the best. It is spendy though. If you don't want to spend that kind of money, you can probably do fine with a Reynols Ouzo Pro. It is not a coincidence that Reynolds manufactures Serotta's forks. They make good ones.

Don't get a cheap fork. And don't try to save 40 grams on the lightweight versions of some brands' forks. You will lose rigidity.

A Fierte steel with a Reynolds fork would be a fine bike.

mdeeds71
05-28-2006, 10:19 PM
For the buck...I would go with a Fierte with the Reynolds or Kestrel fork as offered on the web pages and go with a lower end groupo such as Veloce 10 (campy) or the 105 (shimano). It is easier to upgrade components since they are going to wear anyway. As for wheels...well there is a lot of good prebuilt for low dollars such as Reynolds alta comps, Mavic, etc.

It should be easy to accomplish just may take some resourcing in where to get the part for the best bang for the buck...Look at TotalCycling.com for great prices on groups out of England as well as some wheels. Also ebay can be great for certain parts...just look at the persons profile before you buy.

Also you may be able to get the CDA in that budget with custom sizing if you work real hard on the component sourcing. ALso check some of the other Serotta shops for NOS bikes they might need to get rid of...save some good money on those.

You may be able to find a NOS CDA with Centaur for around 2500...like the one in my shop down the rode in 58 size...if you like yellow.

toon-time
05-30-2006, 07:27 AM
Thanks to everyone who gave me some great advice. I have my fitting scheduled for next Tuesday and will go from there. I'll let everyone know what I end up getting...

Cheers

Skrawny
05-30-2006, 10:39 AM
toon-time, let me know if you're in SF, I'll take you guys out for a ride!
-s

jckid
05-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Any ideas to how much I should expect to pay for Fierte Ti or steel? % off MSRP?

You can get a new (old stock) 2004 Fierte Ti for $2499 with choice of Ultegra or Centaur at Belmont Wheelworks. Check out their "Specials" page at www.wheelworks.com. They might have your size.

davids
05-30-2006, 11:22 AM
You can get a new (old stock) 2004 Fierte Ti for $2499 with choice of Ultegra or Centaur at Belmont Wheelworks. Check out their "Specials" page at www.wheelworks.com. They might have your size.
That's precisely the set-up I rode when I was shopping. It's a sweet, sweet bike! They still had a decent selection of sizes 6 months ago...

http://www.wheelworks.com/images/specials_img/fierte.jpg

toon-time
05-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Skrawny,
Thanks for the invite. My sister lives in San Fran. She's just started riding seriously this year and is doing the AIDS ride from San Fran to LA. I might be planning a trip out there to do some rides with her later in the season. I'll let you know.

jckid
Thanks for the link.. I got a Gary Fisher Mountain Bike at wheelworks when I was in school at Boston Univ. a few years back. After my fitting next week, we'll see where my size lands. I'm anticipating I'll be around a 52 so the Campy setup might be calling my name. I still want to ride the steel and Ti at my LBS here in Chicago (Get A Grip) to compare. I'll feel kind of bad test riding all their bikes to get mine somewhere else. At any rate, my other older sister still lives in Boston and could pick it up and ship for me if they won't deliver to Chicago.

jckid
05-31-2006, 10:32 AM
Skrawny,
I'll feel kind of bad test riding all their bikes to get mine somewhere else. At any rate, my other older sister still lives in Boston and could pick it up and ship for me if they won't deliver to Chicago.

Wheelworks will ship it to you for a very reasonable price. I bought my Fierte Ti from them. I would have liked to buy locally too, but my local shop quoted me nearly $5000. Obviously, I went for the deal at Wheelworks! Maybe your local shop will deal with you. My motto is, "It never hurts to ask".