PDA

View Full Version : Real Folks, Forum Meeting

dbrk
05-28-2006, 09:25 AM
I was in Walnut Creek on Friday visiting with my pals at Rivendell. I got to see some of the new stuff and projects forthcoming (there are some very, very cool bikes in the works); I was lucky too to bottom feed from last weekend's in-house sale and find a few Simplex 5500/6600 derailleurs, TA cranksets, and other stuff that was just laying about, all making me very, very happy. I love parts that are no more obsolete tomorrow than they already are today. We all have our passions. I also got myself one of the new half-deer-stalker hats that I plan on wearing even to bed. Before Walnut Creek I got to stop in at Jitensha Studio and firm up my plans for a 650B Toei. Everything is on track for that and you can't have too many rolls of Fujitoshi leather tape in the box. (I'm in the process of replacing all the cork taped bikes with either cloth Viva or Tressostar/Velo or leather wraps (Fujitoshi is atmo preferable in most instances to the new Brooks).

Anyway late in the day a fellow walked into the shop at Rivendell and introduced himself...It was none other than Say-Hey of our august Forum, whose real name is Say-Hey...uh, no, not really...but a swell guy from Maui (somehow Serotta Forum spawns "Ray"s...his real name) who makes the trip back to Babylon (my term for anywhere but Maui) frequently. He dropped in to visit Riv and we made a fortuitous connection. What a nice visit, talked some bikes, sorta' stood there realizing there are real people on the other end of these very wonderful viritual friendships. That is, of course, something we _do_ know but it's always stellar to make those connections. I did my best to convince him to come and ramble with us in the Finger Lakes in August.

One more day of teaching here in Berkeley then home for two days before I leave to do the same in New Hope, PA where I am pretty sure I will get in a ride or two ('cause I'm driving down). I hope everyone has gotten in some long rides for me on this long weekend. I really like visiting places as groovy as Berkeley (and the yoga people are really swell here) but work's work and little chance to ride.

dbrk

SayHey
05-29-2006, 01:02 AM
I had stopped in at Rivendell to pick up a new bar and stem for my tandem and see all the neat stuff at the Riv shop and showroom. I was in Walnut Creek for some business and just had to stop in there. My wife says I must know where every bike shop is on the Mainland -- not true, but I certainly know a good number.

I met Grant for the first time and we got into an interesting discussion about bikes. I'm looking to build a loaded tourer/commuter/coupler travel bike and we started to talk size. I told him my PBH measurement and he doubted my number sizing me up and asked if I'd enter into a friendly wager with him, betting it was at least 1.5 cm bigger than my claimed number. I said sure, let's go for it. In typical Riv fashion, Grant has this short stump outside his shop with two horshoes nailed to it. You stand up on the stump, put your two heels against the horseshoes, and Grant takes the measurement ... too funny! We had a quick laugh because I knew this measurement within a couple of mm and Grant quickly settled the bet.

As we were walking back into the shop Grant said hello to "Douglas" and we exchanged glances. I vaguely had remembered a picture of the famous dbrk from the Serotta forum. Back inside, I asked Grant what was Douglas's last name. When he told me it was "Brooks" I was stunned. What were the chances of that?! I'm visiting this speciality bike shop 2500 miles east from my home and there is Dr. Brooks, 2500 miles west from his.

We had a great (albeit brief) visit talking about bikes and the upcoming Ramble. (BTW -- Douglas is even nicer in person, and that's saying something.) I had already briefly thought about the possibility of making my way to Bristol NY to meet some forum members and enjoy the rides and festivities. It's been about 25 years since I visited the Finger Lakes area, having gone to school there for a couple of years. Now, I'm going to try harder to make the Ramble trip work.

Hoping to meet more of you this summer ...... Regards, Say Hey (a.k.a. Ray)

Needs Help
05-29-2006, 02:13 AM
As we were walking back into the shop Grant said hello to "Douglas" and we exchanged glances. I vaguely had remembered a picture of the famous dbrk from the Serotta forum. Back inside, I asked Grant what was Douglas's last name. When he told me it was "Brooks" I was stunned. What were the chances of that?! I'm visiting this speciality bike shop 2500 miles east from my home and there is Dr. Brooks, 2500 miles west from his.
Great story!

whippettanker
05-29-2006, 08:00 AM
I got to stop in at Jitensha Studio and firm up my plans for a 650B Toei.

Tell us more about this Toei.

I mean please.

Matthew

mike p
05-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Good vibes.

Mike

dbrk
05-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Tell us more about this Toei. I mean please.
Matthew

I've posted a rather longish reply on the KOGs message board on Yahoo about the Toei. When it turns up, I'll alert our pals here in Serottaville.

However, once we get the 603 tire from Rivendell we can retro fit all of those Ottrotts and Meivici that need a fat, fat tire but can't fit it under the fork because of clearance issues with 700c...that doesn't account for chainstay width clearances but imagine the apostasy! the hersey! the absurdity! I'd put dove bars, bar ends, and bolt through centerpulls as well on the Ottrott and realllly make folks laugh at me. Of course, I would have _own_ an Ottrott to do that, or secretly steal one, build it this way, and return it to its owner. Hmmm.

dbrk

oldmill
05-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Go North out of New Hope, or over to NJ and into Hunterdon County. There have been a lot of unfortunate and (IMO) grotesque housing developments in that area during the housing boom, but there are still a lot of great rides in Bucks and Hunterdon. Wheelfine Cyclery on Route 518 behind Lambertville can give you some guidance on roads.

dvancleve
05-29-2006, 07:00 PM
So the 603 is real? With no mention of it in years I was guessing it was a no go. My Riv is of the vintage where they had as much clearance as short reach brakes will allow which is still not a lot extra if you are running true 28mm tires and want a nice amount of fender room...

Doug Van Cleve
lurking in Chandler, AZ

I've posted a rather longish reply on the KOGs message board on Yahoo about the Toei. When it turns up, I'll alert our pals here in Serottaville.

However, once we get the 603 tire from Rivendell we can retro fit all of those Ottrotts and Meivici that need a fat, fat tire but can't fit it under the fork because of clearance issues with 700c...that doesn't account for chainstay width clearances but imagine the apostasy! the hersey! the absurdity! I'd put dove bars, bar ends, and bolt through centerpulls as well on the Ottrott and realllly make folks laugh at me. Of course, I would have _own_ an Ottrott to do that, or secretly steal one, build it this way, and return it to its owner. Hmmm.

dbrk

Lincoln
05-29-2006, 10:16 PM
<snip> I love parts that are no more obsolete tomorrow than they already are today. <snip>

:)