PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have experience with Sclaral Contact lenses?

guido
12-08-2015, 01:35 PM
My eye doc is recommending Sclaral contact lenses for me. Does anyone have experience they could relate?

thanks!

guido

batman1425
12-08-2015, 02:16 PM
Why the rec. for sclaral lenses vs. traditional GP's?

My dad has Kerataconus and has had some success with them. Much more comfortable than the hard lenses he was wearing in the past. Once those no longer work for him, I think he'll have to try a corneal transplant or that collagen crosslinking surgery the USA Olympic Bobsled driver had.

A potential down side is the cost compared with stock options. His are $$$ Each, which really stings if you rip one or drop it on the floor. But if you need them to see, the $ becomes irrelevant. They can be a big improvement for folks with really irregularly shaped corneas.

guido
12-08-2015, 02:30 PM
I have issues with dry eyes 4-5 months of the year. I have tried soft and hard contacts and have not been able to be comfortable with them (mostly due to the dryness issues). I have a high prescription nearsightedness and astigmatism that is only in the cornea. They say they can give me 20/20 far vision and a very simple lens for reading/close work and a whole lot more comfort...

eippo1
12-08-2015, 02:35 PM
I have issues with dry eyes 4-5 months of the year. I have tried soft and hard contacts and have not been able to be comfortable with them (mostly due to the dryness issues). I have a high prescription nearsightedness and astigmatism that is only in the cornea. They say they can give me 20/20 far vision and a very simple lens for reading/close work and a whole lot more comfort...

Have you tried silicone lenses first? They are thicker, but way more porous and have helped both my wife and I immensely with dry eye issues. I actually have a permanent infection in one eye that limited my ability to comfortably wear soft lenses until I found these. I wear B&L Purevision2. They are available in toric for those with astigmatism.

guido
12-08-2015, 02:57 PM
Have you tried silicone lenses first? They are thicker, but way more porous and have helped both my wife and I immensely with dry eye issues. I actually have a permanent infection in one eye that limited my ability to comfortably wear soft lenses until I found these. I wear B&L Purevision2. They are available in toric for those with astigmatism.

No I have not tried these. Thanks for the tip!

Do you have issues with dry eyes without lenses or just with them?

dpk501
12-08-2015, 06:22 PM

scleral contacts are reserved for specific conditions. how high is your prescription and if you don't mind sharing, do you have any ocular conditions besides dry eye? is it sjogrens?