PDA

View Full Version : Completely OT: Bob Mould and Dinosaur Jr

ptourkin
12-07-2015, 03:24 PM
Freak Scene starts at 9:50 with Bob. There are other versions of Cortez the Killer on YouTube - seeing Bob and J do this together is a dream.

https://youtu.be/WIFr1r3yoBE

jdp211
12-07-2015, 03:28 PM
AHHHH THIS IS SO EXCITING! I'm going to the show tonight and will be counting down the minutes until my lecture ends this evening.

d_douglas
12-07-2015, 03:43 PM
BEAUTIFUL! I was just listening to a J Mascis set on KEXP while wrenching in my basement after kids went to bed this weekend :). Bliss...

charliedid
12-07-2015, 03:44 PM
Fantastic

bcroslin
12-07-2015, 03:58 PM
Amazing. I've seen bit and pieces of these shows posted on social media and they're incredible.

d_douglas
12-07-2015, 04:01 PM
OK, let the video roll over to the next suggested video if you are a Rollins fan. I know, he is a living, breathing punk rock caricature, but for better or for worse, he informed alot of my childhood :)

He steps on the stage with Dinosaur Jr and it is a sight to behold. He's 50 and hasn't let go of that combat stance while shrieking :)

A childhood regression moment - I double love it.

I am listening to this while working and it is making work great!

peanutgallery
12-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Both put on great shows

Slight drift, I used to work at a bike shop in Athens and Bob Mould rented practice space in the back for a while when his Sugar project was warming up

good times

charliedid
12-07-2015, 05:09 PM
OK, let the video roll over to the next suggested video if you are a Rollins fan. I know, he is a living, breathing punk rock caricature, but for better or for worse, he informed alot of my childhood :)

He steps on the stage with Dinosaur Jr and it is a sight to behold. He's 50 and hasn't let go of that combat stance while shrieking :)

A childhood regression moment - I double love it.

I am listening to this while working and it is making work great!

It happens...Not a huge Rollins fan but seen him enough to know ;-)

I turned 52 last month and for the past year I keep laughing(in a good way) at all the kids I meet wearing D.jr or HUSKER t-shirts or talking about them at the bike shop when we would play them.

It happened. :-)

livingminimal
12-07-2015, 05:17 PM
So effing rad. SO EFFING RAD.

goonster
12-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Freak Scene is an insanely great song.

oliver1850
12-08-2015, 12:20 AM
First heard Dinosaur (not Jr.) on the late, great, lamentably long gone KFMH (Muscatine, IA) radio's Sunday night "Off the Beaten Track" show. Four hours of whatever the DJ wanted to play in an "alternative" vein, though I don't think the term was in general use at the time. I was living in Columbus, OH and recorded the shows on HiFi VHS tape whenever I got home. There was no radio in Columbus to compare to it. I'd bet I still have a VHS tape with "Repulsion" recorded from the radio. A few years later I helped out with programming the show, which mostly consisted of me dragging LPs that the station didn't have 70 miles over to Muscatine on Sunday nights.

The clerk at the record store in Columbus where I dropped most of my spare change used to sit at the counter with a Strat and a tiny amp and practice. He wasn't into punk/post-punk (or whatever term you want to hang on it) at all, but we had a bit of a rapport. I bought a wide range of stuff, including things he'd never heard. I mentioned that Husker Du was going to be playing in Cleveland and how bummed I was that I'd be on the road and couldn't go. To my surprise, he went and saw them. I remember how impressed he was with Mould's playing. Glad he went, but I am still envious, as I never was in the right place at the right time to see them.

Love the contact info on the Dino LP:

Dinosaur
27 jeffery ln.
Amherst MA

As Lou Reed said, those were different times.

jdp211
12-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Damn. That show was so good. My ears are still ringing and I couldn't be happier about it! Last night didn't have quite the all-star line-up of the weekend shows, but was a pleasure nonetheless. I've been to a lot of shows at Bowery Ballroom and I've NEVER seen it so full.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5645/22981709214_be37403fd0_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/B1PgtL)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/B1PgtL) by jacob Perlmutter (https://www.flickr.com/photos/perlhammer/), on Flickr

livingminimal
12-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Damn. That show was so good. My ears are still ringing and I couldn't be happier about it! Last night didn't have quite the all-star line-up of the weekend shows, but was a pleasure nonetheless. I've been to a lot of shows at Bowery Ballroom and I've NEVER seen it so full.

Dude. Amazing. Thanks. Who is playing through the Orange? J or Bob? Not sure who is playing what these days...would work for either of their sounds I guess.

ptourkin
12-08-2015, 09:20 AM
I've been refreshing YouTube waiting for more clips. I haven't seen the full Cortez the Killer with Bob yet - only one earlier in the week with Lee Ranaldo which is marred by Fred Armisen uselessly sitting at the drums.

Bob played In a Free Land with them too. I need to see this.

milkbaby
12-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Totally cool! Two of my favorite bands from the 80s.

I missed the last Husker Du tour because I was a freshman in college and had finals, in retrospect, I should've just went because I bombed the exam anyhow.

Dinosaur was incredible on recordings but the one show I attended on the Bug tour was terrible. Extremely disappointed. I recorded it and don't think I even listened to that tape more than twice, that's how bad it was.

ptourkin
12-08-2015, 10:54 AM
Totally cool! Two of my favorite bands from the 80s.

I missed the last Husker Du tour because I was a freshman in college and had finals, in retrospect, I should've just went because I bombed the exam anyhow.

Dinosaur was incredible on recordings but the one show I attended on the Bug tour was terrible. Extremely disappointed. I recorded it and don't think I even listened to that tape more than twice, that's how bad it was.

That tour was painful. I saw it in DC. It was so clear that none of them wanted to be out there. I'm not fond of that record, anyway and it's all they played except a very long Helter Skelter.

Tarpit with Tweedy (I'm a Jay Farrar guy, but this is good) https://youtu.be/F7R6m70eiR4

Oh - here's In a Free Land: https://youtu.be/DLRhqfDbl2U

echelon_john
12-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Saw Dinosaur JR quite a few times; show that I remember most was in '91 or so at Zootz in Portland, ME. Probably the only concert I've ever seen where the singer (Mascis) spent literally 90% of the show with his back to the audience. Colossal a-hole, but great guitar player. I guess those two go together more often than not.

Never saw Huskers (they broke up right as I was getting to concert age) but have seen Sugar & Bob Mould many times. The current lineup with Jason Narducy and Jon Wurster is as tight and strong as I've seen. The last show I saw was on the Copper Blue/Silver Age tour and the set was an absolute monster.

I've always thought Mascis could do a pretty perfect cover of Celebrated Summer. Wonder if he ever has? He owes us one to make up for "Just Like Heaven."

I like music.

Saint Vitus
12-08-2015, 11:29 AM

That's Don Fleming on the Jazzmaster, no?

redir
12-08-2015, 11:39 AM
I've always like D. JR but that recording was terrible :(

jdp211
12-08-2015, 11:43 AM
That's Don Fleming on the Jazzmaster, no?

Yeah, for sure

Sent from my spacephone

Saint Vitus
12-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Yeah, for sure

Sent from my spacephone

I figured as much but it's been 20+ years since I saw him last. I guess I don't get around much any more...

chiasticon
12-08-2015, 12:20 PM
best Dinosaur Jr set I ever saw was actually just Mascis. this was around 2003 and was at a club that had about 100 or so person capacity. I stood about one or two people back from the front of the two-foot-high stage. as anyone who's seen Dinosaur Jr knows, Mascis usually plays through about four full stacks, several pedal boards, has ten guitars off the side of the stage, a guy to maintain and tune them during every song, etc. this time he walked up, sat on a chair, pulled a tuner, a distortion pedal and a looper out of a purple (of course) backpack, plugged 'em into his acoustic and a direct box, and played Dinosaur Jr songs for two hours. in between songs, he'd tune the acoustic and chat with the crowd. it was incredible.

ChrisG
12-08-2015, 12:31 PM
Biggest concert-related regret of my life: My girlfriend (now wife) and I had tickets in hand for Dinosaur Jr./My Bloody Valentine at City Gardens, and didn't go.

We have seen both bands, separately, numerous times since, at least.

jdp211
12-08-2015, 12:39 PM
That's devastating, Chris. There were rumors floating around the floor last night that Kevin Shields was in the house and would be a special guest; maybe he'll be at tonight's show...

Geeheeb
12-08-2015, 01:24 PM
my partner's brother is there filming this for DC shoes. i was stoked to hear they played a DEEP WOUND song

ik2280
12-08-2015, 02:38 PM
I want to go tomorrow night, but it's sold out. Might check Stub Hub. Saw Dinosaur Jr. at Terminal 5 a couple years ago, Frank Black came out to play with them, it was pretty sweet.

velomonkey
12-08-2015, 03:24 PM
Biggest concert-related regret of my life: My girlfriend (now wife) and I had tickets in hand for Dinosaur Jr./My Bloody Valentine at City Gardens, and didn't go.

Dude . . . . . . I know what you are saying - like . . . I 'grok' you (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok). My lady was there at City Gardens - not the totally same bands as I liked, but . . . well . . . you know.

ptourkin
12-09-2015, 04:11 PM

Kevin Shields played Thorn and Cortez the Killer with them:

https://youtu.be/MtUIUWigwCo