PDA

View Full Version : bought a couple bikes at the LBS

vqdriver
12-07-2015, 12:21 PM
was there last night and bought a couple new bikes for the kids. moving on from 16 to 20" wheels now. gears too :eek:

after years of avoiding full retail for kids bikes (they grow so dang fast) or building up my own bikes, i gotta say it's a fantastically easy experience to just buy something and enjoy it. my local lbs has gotten a little big and impersonal with it's growth, but the sales staff was friendly and patient with my kids. they were also helpful with my wife trying on (a million) helmets. informing us what was on sale, what's going to be on sale, how to correctly fit, yada yada. all this at (what turned out to be) the end of their day on a sunday.
overall a positive experience

ended up putting out for a couple cannondales for the kids and a prevail for the wife. no boutique brand purchases this time, sorry forum

MattTuck
12-07-2015, 12:25 PM
A good way to take your mind off the beat down I put on you ;)

Hopefully next year will bring us both better luck.

vqdriver
12-07-2015, 12:42 PM
Nope. That tainted my entire day and I was trying to buy my way out of depression.:banana:

As someone famous once said: "sometimes you're the hammer, and sometimes you're the nail."
I was everyone's nail this year....

Red Tornado
12-07-2015, 01:16 PM
It's a great feeling to put your kids on a nice ride. I remember those days very fondly, and even more so the excitement of my boys finally having a "good" bike - in their perception. Got them motivated to ride more and do a few races every year. We had a lot of fun for several years, and truthfully I think my wife was just a tiny bit jealous on occasion.
Then along came video gaming and electric bass/guitar for the older one, and football for the little guy.
They still maintain that riding dirt with the old man was fun and they would do it all over again. I remember telling both of them if they ever wanted to get back into it, it would be a pretty easy learning curve since they both were into the sport pretty heavy. Both started taking it serious not too long after they could ride on two wheels and stayed with it through the Jr. High years. Of course, I also encourage them to do what THEY enjoy most, not what dad wishes they would do. That's what's best for them, naturally.
Glad to see cycling is a family activity for you and so many others.

572cv
12-07-2015, 01:58 PM
My daughter has been working at an LBS. They try really hard to make the experience of buying a bike a good one, to make that first foray into cycling a great start for the sport.

Thanks for reminding folks of a particular value of the LBS.

velomonkey
12-07-2015, 03:05 PM
My firefly - Daugther's Dale, Son's PK Ripper JR - their bikes were purchased at the LBS. I needed the aero wheels to ride with them, cause, you know . . . .

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5807/23510747421_40bebebf08_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/BPyJ7a)10462614_10203960869728283_9144889417782003 319_n (https://flic.kr/p/BPyJ7a)