PDA

View Full Version : F1 Monaco qualifying: Paris Roubaix anyone?

Grant McLean
05-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Anyone else catch this?

http://www.formula1.com/race/news/4430/757.html

Wow, Michael gets his pole taken away!
I thought it was dodgy... but wow, that's heavy man.

g

Phil Selisker
05-27-2006, 08:22 PM
I love F1 racing. The technology and speeds are amazing. I was watching this morning instead of riding and I must say Micheal's move was bush league. In the inteview Alonso was really pissed and rightfully so. I hope Schumi thinks better next time.

Grant McLean
05-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Alonso was rightly peeved, but here's the question(s):

Did Michael really do it? Could it be that as he started
to lose it, he realized that if he got "stuck" there, they'd
have to throw the yellow?

Could he possibly premeditate something like that, really?
That'd be almost despicable! Is he that cunning?

g

Phil Selisker
05-27-2006, 08:41 PM
I'm sorry to say, I believe Ferrari, told Micheal to block, they know all the times via telemetery. David Hobbs also said he was known for that in F2 and carting.

Grant McLean
05-27-2006, 08:46 PM
You could very well be right.

If so, it's really sad. The guy is 7 times world champ,
and now he needs to do this to get a pole?

I don't want to believe it. The main thing is that there
should be punishment regardless. If it was due to incompetence,
he shouldn't benefit from it, that's clear. So in the end, the
result is the same. Should be interesting race tomorrow.
Monaco, Indy500, CocaCola 600, it's a long day!

g

gasman
05-27-2006, 08:59 PM
I think Michael and Ferrari are bit desperate to win as it has been a struggle for them this year. The best chance of winning at Monaco is to be on the pole since there is almost nowhere to pass on the circuit. Was it intentional ? I don't know since we don't get television coverage. :DI love watching F1 when I get a chance. Pretty amazing they are still keeping their speeds up this year in spite of prolly 200 less hp.

Grant McLean
05-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Speaking of TV coverage...

Here's reason #162 that American's should move to Canada:

What programming _genius_ at CBS schedules (that's: shed-ules)
Monaco tape delayed at 12:30 when the Indy 500 starts at 1:00pm?!

Canada gets the ITV from Britain commentary live on TSN. I'll have
finished my croissants, and be on to my second cafe latte by the time
they roll off the grid at CBS. Why did they bother bidding like 6 races
away from SPEED channel? Duh.

End the madness!!

g

saab2000
05-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Here's reason #162 that American's should move to Canada

I am not sure I want to move there, but there are some nice things. I go there all the time.

zap
05-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Not good.

GP '06 championship race is probably over and F1 will more than likely suffer as a result.

Decision came late in the evening, so I would not be surprised if the FIA has more to say.

Regarding CBS :crap: . At least I'll get a morning ride in.

jasont
05-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure how to feel about it. I'm pretty sure he did it on purpose but I do think making him start from the back is kind of severe. I think it's unlikely they can prove he did it intentionally.

BTW, I'm glad to see there are F1 fans here.

jasont
05-28-2006, 12:34 AM

*snip*Why did they bother bidding like 6 races
away from SPEED channel?*snip*

I agree! The CBS coveriage is a f-ing joke.

"Remember folks, in F1 the lap counter counts backwards..."

OMG, shut up!

Bruce K
05-28-2006, 04:57 AM
It's the old Chris "Econoturkey" approach to motorsports reporting. They just assume that everyone watching knows nothing and has never watched before.

It's kind of like the time Ekonomcki asked Freddy Roberts why motorcycle racers wore leather suits and got the answer "'Cause they wear better than skin."

Memorial Day coverages are always tricky. I can remember channel flipping between F1, Indy, and IMSA (what is now called American Le Mans) from Lime Rock if I wasn't at the track crewing or driving.

Memorial Day is just a motorsports fan cornucopia and nightmare rolled into one.

As for the penalty, a time penalty certainly seems reasonable as his actions interfered with other driver's ability to turn a fast lap, but somehow I don't think the Super Aguri or Red Bull Teams were going to outqualify him. A 1 or 2 second penalty would move him far enough back to create problems without creating the almost impossible situation they have put him in.

On the other hand, if the officials wanted to send a message, they certainly di so loud and clear.

BK

TimD
05-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Did Michael really do it? Could it be that as he started
to lose it, he realized that if he got "stuck" there, they'd
have to throw the yellow?

Could he possibly premeditate something like that, really?
That'd be almost despicable! Is he that cunning?

g
Of course not. He didn't use launch control at Benneton, he didn't punt Hill at Adelaide in 1994, didn't chop Hakkinen at the start of the title race at Suzka in 2000, and the move on Villeneuve at Jerez in 1997 only looked that way on TV. Fair clean and sporting all the way...yep.

William
05-28-2006, 08:59 AM
We'll have to tape it. After my ride we are all going to the Mini-Me 500.

http://www.caseynealracing.com/images/3151.gif

William ;)

ergott
05-28-2006, 09:37 AM

Here's reason #162 that American's should move to Canada:

What programming _genius_ at CBS schedules (that's: shed-ules)
Monaco tape delayed at 12:30 when the Indy 500 starts at 1:00pm?!

Canada gets the ITV from Britain commentary live on TSN. I'll have
finished my croissants, and be on to my second cafe latte by the time
they roll off the grid at CBS. Why did they bother bidding like 6 races
away from SPEED channel? Duh.

End the madness!!

g

You can't possibly be interested in the Indy 500 when Monaco is on. Those underpowered no downforce cars are driving in a circle. Monaco is going to be like watching a 2.5 hour sprint finish in the wet with white lines all across the final turns. It's going to be ugly! Michael now has to contend with all the sludge (Super Aguri-Honda) in the way.

Grant McLean
05-28-2006, 10:01 AM
You can't possibly be interested in the Indy 500 when Monaco is on. Those underpowered no downforce cars are driving in a circle. Monaco is going to be like watching a 2.5 hour sprint finish in the wet with white lines all across the final turns. It's going to be ugly! Michael now has to contend with all the sludge (Super Aguri-Honda) in the way.

Monaco was great...

Enjoy your CBS coverage!

Drinks with Kimi on the deck anyone?

g

shaq-d
05-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Y
If so, it's really sad. The guy is 7 times world champ,
and now he needs to do this to get a pole?

I don't want to believe it.

hold up.. schumacher is one of the most competitive guys f1 has EVER seen. he has driven into people to prevent them from winning (villeneuve in his championship year), among other things. i'm not surprised at all.

it's not a matter of desperation. the guy is competitive to a Lance degree. Probably even more.

sd

Phil Selisker
05-30-2006, 07:22 PM
speed has f1 replay this week, can't remember off the top, check listings. nothing better than Hobbs making fun of Sato. :beer: