PDA

View Full Version : Elephant Rocks

Bud
05-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Any one out this way doing Elephant Rocks (http://www.elephantrockride.com/) next weekend? We've never done it before, but my wife and I registered for the century today. We'll be camping at the fairgrounds in Castle Rock on Saturday night. If anyone else is going to be there let's meet up and have a beer.

Bradford
05-31-2006, 08:28 AM
I'd love to go, but my wife has me signed up for New Dad Boot Camp this weekend, and after that it is back to move in stuff. :crap:

It would be nice to learn about some good riding roads near my new house, but I guess I'll have to find them on my own. I even think it is near where I live, but I'm not really sure where anything is in this state yet.

Hopefully I'll be able to ride it next year.

Bud
05-31-2006, 08:52 AM
Maybe next year. There are lots of good rides around the state this summer. I'll let you know what else we're doing when we sign up. So where do you live? The riding out here is great. . .

Bradford
05-31-2006, 11:11 AM
We settled in Highlands Ranch. We thought it would be the highest concentration of kids and moms in the area. With my travel, it will be important that my wife have lots of other moms around to spend time with.

I would love to get together and do some riding, although with the move, my job, and the incoming kid, I'm sure I won't get too much riding in this year.

So far, in my 3 rides in the area, I'm happy with Colorado. The drivers are nice, there are more hills than I thought, and if I ride south out of suburbia, the scenery is nice. I'm having some trouble with the wind, and I can't seem to find any oxygen in the air, but other than that it is pretty good riding. I can't wait to get out to the neighborhood and into the mountains. If I could just find the time...

If you are doing any riding in the Highlands Ranch area, I could arrange to have the fridge stocked with cold ones. You are a New Belgium kind of guy if I remember correctly, so perhaps some Fat Tires? :beer:

Bud
05-31-2006, 11:29 AM
Let me know when you have the time. I can head down that way and maybe we can ride up Deer Creek Canyon or something. That's not too far from you and is a good intro to riding up into the foothills.

Fat Tire sounds good! We went to the mothership (the brewery) in Ft Collins a couple of days ago. It's a cool place.

Good luck settling in. . .

adavis
05-31-2006, 11:41 AM
I have heard that Deer Creek is supposed to be a fun ride. I don't usually drive to ride, but might make the trip if you guys are planning something.

Andy

crossjunkee
05-31-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm not doing elephant this weekend, still recovering from the Ironhorse last weekend. But I would love to meet up with some people for a ride if there's something in the works!!! Please keep me posted!

Bud
05-31-2006, 12:02 PM
Deer Creek is not bad. They are supposed to add a shoulder all of the way up this summer, which will make it better. The traffic can be a bit of a pain sometimes. I much prefer Lefthand or St Vrain canyons up this way, but Deer Creek came to mind because it's close to Bradford in H.R.

As far as driving to ride, I'll do it every now and then.

Maybe if there are more than a few of us who get together we can do Lefthand (after all, it is "The Legend"). Deer Creek is fine, too.

Bradford
05-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Bud,

If I ever get my house in order, I'll head up your way. I drove in that area a few months ago and I'd love to get the bike on those roads.

Tailwinds
05-31-2006, 10:31 PM
Deer Creek is not bad. They are supposed to add a shoulder all of the way up this summer, which will make it better. The traffic can be a bit of a pain sometimes. I much prefer Lefthand or St Vrain canyons up this way, but Deer Creek came to mind because it's close to Bradford in H.R.

As far as driving to ride, I'll do it every now and then.

Maybe if there are more than a few of us who get together we can do Lefthand (after all, it is "The Legend"). Deer Creek is fine, too.

I LOVE Deer Creek Canyon/High Grade/etc. I try to get up there at least once a week.

Bud
06-01-2006, 08:17 AM
Deer Creek is nice, but I think my image of it is tainted by one particular a$$hole driver incident there last year. An impatient brown volvo wagon passed the truck behind us and my wife and I (on our bikes) ON THE SHOULDER, which was dirt and rock. He was going about 35 or so and accelerating, so he was spitting up all kinds of rock, etc all over us. Kind of freaked us out. It will be nice when they pave that shoudler all the way up. That way, jerkwad can pass us easier ;) .

We should all go for a ride sometime. Whether it be Deer Creek, somewhere up this way, or a Saturday morning REI coffee ride along the Platte. I promise to show up with clean gloves :) :D

crossjunkee
06-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Bud,

What is "the legend" ride?

I'm in for meeting up for a ride!

Bud
06-01-2006, 10:04 AM
For some reason unbeknownst to me, Lefthand Canyon is called "The Legend" by some. In fact, its painted on the pavement as you ride up (along with "Got steep?" and "Who's your Daddy now?"). I don't know who coined the phrase. It's a great ride, though: 4000' in 17 miles (starting from US 36 and Lefthand Canyon drive).

My favorite ride (which my wife and I call our "Epic loop") starts there and goes N on 36 to Lyons, up St Vrain Canyon to Raymond, S on 72 to Ward, and down Lefthand. That ride is awesomely beautiful, 50 miles, and has about 5000' total climbing. It's a workout.

mwos
06-01-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm willing to join you, at least meet at REI, it's an easy 16 mile ride from my house.

I done lots of riding around Denver but haven't ridden Deer Creek Canyon.

If anyone wants to "cool off" this weekend the (DBTC) Denver Bicycle Touring Club is riding Sat. from Dillion to Breckenridge. We're meeting at 10:15 at Dillion Marina. You're welcome to join us.

Kathi

BillyBear
06-03-2006, 09:22 PM
I will be doing the century...Should be a great day, but pretty warm (camelback day)

I will be on this bike...Wave as you go by! :D :cool:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=3113

Bud
06-04-2006, 05:15 PM
DIdn't see you out there. Hope you had a good ride. It was pretty cool early, then heated up quite a bit. And it was windy! I saw a few nice Serottas on the road and in the grass back at the fairgrounds, but there was an overwhelming number of Giants and Treks. Hmmm :rolleyes:

ANyway, my wife and I camped out last night at the fairgrounds and got about 3-4 hours of sleep (thanks to the trains every two hours and some very cool jerks nearby that needed to tell everyonewithin earshot how cool they were). We started out early wit hthe best intentions, but opted for the 65 mile route instead of the century. We had a great time, though and rolled pretty good with a few groups in the last part. There were certainly a lot of cyclists on the road (a few too many for me). The GPS says our 65 mile route included between 4000' (from the DEM's) and 4700' (straight GPS data) of climbing, so it was a decent amount. I'm inclined to think the actual amount is around 4200' based on ohter comparisons of these two methods. GPS recording was set to high res, so the track and profile are pretty faithful to the actual route.

I'll upload the profile later- the forum isn't accepting it right now. . .

BillyBear
06-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Bud:

Nothing worse than no sleep with a big ride the next day!

Drove down from Lakewood to Castle Rock this AM and was on the course at 6AM sharp. Beautiful cool morning. The 35 mile loop thru the Black Forest was very pretty but it got us out pretty far east and we had to fight the wind all the way back west.

Anyway, great century, rolled in at 1:30 with an ET (not including the very necessary sag stops) of just under 6 hours, avg. speed of 16.7 mph. Used EVERY gear on the bike from the 53-13 to the 39-29...Was very impressed by the caliber of the riders. MANY of them passed me like I wasn't even there...

Loved the course, beautiful and lots of vertical...Did another century a few weeks back in KC and there was no comparison to avg altititude of 6500 ft!

Anyway, I would highly recommend this ride to forumites in the future and was wondering if any of the other Denver area members rode "the rock" today.

Billy Bear

:banana: :bike:

Bud
06-05-2006, 11:24 AM

BoulderGeek
06-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Bud,

I was also on the 65-miler. I was on a white Rocky Mountain Scandium, chatting with every Serotta rider I could find. :rolleyes:

It was a fine day for a ride. Glad I didn't do the century, though. I just didn't have the base for it. I did 70 miles with the ride back to my car, and that was perfect for me. On the last of the frontage road back, I was riding a paceline with a gent on a Look 585 with Record 10 and Chris King hubs. Dude must have had nearly 30 years on me. And he out-pulled me every circuit, and eventually dropped me like a hot potato. I was beaten.

I'm up for a Lefthand run, whenever. I usually park out at IBM and ride up to Jamestown and back, 32 miles with the climbs. But I'd be up for anything.

Shoot mail to mike at bouldergeek dot com.

:beer: