PDA

View Full Version : Safe way to remove ink jet logos?

Cornfed
12-05-2015, 11:10 PM
Picked up a set of Reynolds Assaults. Great wheels, but I'm not really big on big logos. Any way to remove the printing without damaging the wheels?

ltoddokc
12-06-2015, 03:18 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. Really want to like these wheels but the decals are just not to my taste. Anyone?

Dead Man
12-06-2015, 03:20 PM
Have you tried acetone? That's always a good first try. And if that doesn't work, it's gonna be hard to find something that does. Carbolift, as a last resort.

When did Reynolds switch to paint? Last I knew they used stickers on their wheels

nesteel
12-06-2015, 10:56 PM
I've had really good luck removing logos from stems and bars, and on one occasion a saddle, using Goof Off.

ltoddokc
12-10-2015, 10:34 AM
I guess no one has tried it yet. OP, if you do try the acetone let us know how it goes?

tuscanyswe
12-10-2015, 10:57 AM
How old are the Reynolds wheels?

Ive taken of more than a few reynolds stickers but not on any wheels more recent than say around 2012.

They can be peeled of with just your nails. Takes some time but not that hard.
Quite often these destickered wheels will be left with a bit of a "ghost logo" on the rim that is not glue residue. I think its actually the stickers that have protected the rim from uv light and now making this part of the rim appear darker than the rest of the rim. I would imagine this effect is not an issue on wheels that are relatively new and or have been inside for most of their life.

eBAUMANN
12-10-2015, 11:54 AM
How old are the Reynolds wheels?

Ive taken of more than a few reynolds stickers but not on any wheels more recent than say around 2012.

They can be peeled of with just your nails. Takes some time but not that hard.
Quite often these destickered wheels will be left with a bit of a "ghost logo" on the rim that is not glue residue. I think its actually the stickers that have protected the rim from uv light and now making this part of the rim appear darker than the rest of the rim. I would imagine this effect is not an issue on wheels that are relatively new and or have been inside for most of their life.

newer wheels have screen printed on logos, not stickers, no peeling possible :(

Cornfed
12-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Generous amount of acetone on a scrub sponge and about 10 min of elbow grease per decal did the trick. Might try other substances to see if I can reduce the time. I'll let you all know if I find the magic formula.

Black Dog
12-12-2015, 06:24 PM
Have you tried acetone? That's always a good first try. And if that doesn't work, it's gonna be hard to find something that does. Carbolift, as a last resort.

When did Reynolds switch to paint? Last I knew they used stickers on their wheels

As soon as they decided that the purchaser has to advertise for them. Stickers make it easy for someone to end the free advertising...well not free since the buyer is paying to advertise the product.

ltoddokc
12-12-2015, 10:58 PM
Generous amount of acetone on a scrub sponge and about 10 min of elbow grease per decal did the trick. Might try other substances to see if I can reduce the time. I'll let you all know if I find the magic formula.

Awesome! Can we get a pic of the wheel sans decals?

F150
12-13-2015, 02:28 PM
Give isopropyl alcohol a try. IIRC that's the solvent component of the commercial grade inkjet inks I've been around.

velofinds
12-15-2015, 10:28 AM
This might be sacrilege (or not?), but would acetone also remove some of the gaudiness from a Campy Athena crank arm? Not saying I'm dead set on doing it, but I wouldn't mind something a little more discreet.

(Campagnolo, are you listening? No, of course you're not.)

http://www.campagnolo.com/media/immagini/2715_z_crankset-athena-groupset.png

choke
12-15-2015, 12:53 PM
This might be sacrilege (or not?), but would acetone also remove some of the gaudiness from a Campy Athena crank arm? Not saying I'm dead set on doing it, but I wouldn't mind something a little more discreet.

(Campagnolo, are you listening? No, of course you're not.)I would think so but I've never tried it. I have, however, removed those markings using my preferred method of #0000 steel wool - it's a quick and easy job.

velofinds
12-15-2015, 01:05 PM
I would think so but I've never tried it. I have, however, removed those markings using my preferred method of #0000 steel wool - it's a quick and easy job.

Thanks. And to confirm, other than removing the logos, it doesn't damage the finish of the components?

choke
12-15-2015, 01:14 PM
Thanks. And to confirm, other than removing the logos, it doesn't damage the finish of the components?I didn't notice any new marks on the finish from the steel wool. I've also used this method on stems and bars.

benb
12-15-2015, 01:46 PM
IIRC Acetone should take those Campy logos right off.. I did that on some sram cranks a while back.

Formulasaab
12-15-2015, 01:54 PM
IIRC Acetone should take those Campy logos right off.. I did that on some sram cranks a while back.

If you try to do it chemically, with acetone/paint thinner, you run zero risk of damaging the anodized finish.

Lewis Moon
12-15-2015, 01:56 PM

(Campagnolo, are you listening? No, of course you're not.)

http://www.campagnolo.com/media/immagini/2715_z_crankset-athena-groupset.png

I use real, honest to god paint stripper on aluminum parts. Just pour it on liberally covering everything, let it sit for a minute then hose it off. Reapply as needed, although the only stuff that might need a second coat is what you actually missed the first time.
When I say paint stripper I mean paint stripper. Not goo gone, not acetone, not mineral spirits.
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/030192/030192003152.jpg

You'll find that a lot of the logos on alu parts are under clear coat, so you'll have to get that off too, but it comes off with the logo. This is also why steel wool sometimes doesn't work very well.

DO NOT DO THIS ON CARBON. I wish I didn't have to say this here, but....

Formulasaab
12-16-2015, 05:43 AM
Also in the "shouldn't need to say it" category...

Don't use things like oven cleaner or White Lightning, that use strong alkaline (like lye) blends to clean. Those will strip the anodizing.

And...

Make sure that the logos you are trying to remove are paint, not stickers or laser etching.

Dead Man
12-16-2015, 10:01 AM
Also in the "shouldn't need to say it" category...

Don't use things like oven cleaner or White Lightning, that use strong alkaline (like lye) blends to clean. Those will strip the anodizing.

And...

Make sure that the logos you are trying to remove are paint, not stickers or laser etching.

I think you mean Greased Lightning

I used Greased Lightning to strip the anodizing off of a rifle receiver once. Definitely don't want to get that stuff on an anodized part you care about

Formulasaab
12-16-2015, 10:11 AM
I think you mean Greased Lightning

I used Greased Lightning to strip the anodizing off of a rifle receiver once. Definitely don't want to get that stuff on an anodized part you care about

Yes. Thanks for the correction!

beeemmjay
12-16-2015, 10:47 AM
This is a super helpful thread.
I have a pair of carbon rims with painted logos, which for the most part haven't bothered me, but lately I've been feeling like a change, removing the logo artwork might do the trick.
I'm going to give the acetone removal a try.
Cornfed, did you use the Goof Off, or another product?

jeffwidman
12-16-2015, 04:22 PM
For your experiments with other chemicals, just be careful as a number of products that are used as degreasers can harm aluminum. Simple Green (original formula) comes to mind.

Might try mineral spirits. The only caveat there is several states have made it difficult to procure them. Bikeforums.net has some good threads on the subject from chemists who are bikers.