PDA

View Full Version : OT: Lost Wedding Ring.

giverdada
12-05-2015, 01:39 PM
So, friends, you're smarter than I am, I know it, and I know that you and your weird engineering/artistic/experienced/wise minds can figure this out better and faster than I: how do I find the wedding ring I (think I) lost while bagging (only) 6 bags of leaves in the backyard?

The hard part: it's stainless steel and concrete, so no magnets. And: I live in the city so no bonfire. Also: I wasn't even sure it came off in the leaves, but I tore apart the house and car and haven't found it. Last: it's been a couple of weeks of looking and then not looking to see if it occurs to me where else it could be.

Now, I'm heading out to the backyard to sift through the leaf bags by hand and hope that you give me a better idea soon. Give'r.

Nick.

P.S. My fingers shrink in diameter when they get cold, so I believe the ring is actually mixed in/buried INSIDE one of the leaf bags as I was picking up the leaves gloveless and shoving them into the bags. No sign of it actually in the well-raked grass. Thank goodness the yard is tiny! Only 6 bags to go...:crap:

Dead Man
12-05-2015, 01:44 PM
metal detector, man

I lost a bunch of weight for race season last year.. I was washing my hands in the bathroom sink and TINK tinktinktinktink.... ring fell off. The wife, already unhappy at how skinny I was getting, happened to be right there and saw... totally raged on me..

soulspinner
12-05-2015, 01:44 PM
So, friends, you're smarter than I am, I know it, and I know that you and your weird engineering/artistic/experienced/wise minds can figure this out better and faster than I: how do I find the wedding ring I (think I) lost while bagging (only) 6 bags of leaves in the backyard?

The hard part: it's stainless steel and concrete, so no magnets. And: I live in the city so no bonfire. Also: I wasn't even sure it came off in the leaves, but I tore apart the house and car and haven't found it. Last: it's been a couple of weeks of looking and then not looking to see if it occurs to me where else it could be.

Now, I'm heading out to the backyard to sift through the leaf bags by hand and hope that you give me a better idea soon. Give'r.

Nick.

P.S. My fingers shrink in diameter when they get cold, so I believe the ring is actually mixed in/buried INSIDE one of the leaf bags as I was picking up the leaves gloveless and shoving them into the bags. No sign of it actually in the well-raked grass. Thank goodness the yard is tiny! Only 6 bags to go...:crap:

Pour the leaves through a sifter of sorts just larger than your finger? Ya, silly...

msl819
12-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Know anyone with a metal detector? That's how my wife found hers. She has the same problem you do with shrinkage.

kramnnim
12-05-2015, 01:49 PM
...a concrete ring?

MattTuck
12-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Depending on how tightly you packed them, The ring should be denser than the leaves. If it were me, I'd shake all the bags for about a minute, and then open them from the bottom and see if you find anything.

paulh
12-05-2015, 02:04 PM
shrinkage.

Shrinkage? I don't like the sound of that.

yakstone
12-05-2015, 02:07 PM
metal detector, man

I lost mine in the snow. Went to the local rental yard for a metal detector.

Ring found!

Best money you will ever spend.

Louis
12-05-2015, 02:28 PM
We might have been able to help, but only if you'd gotten it stuck in the DT of your bike...

More seriously, metal detector for the yard area. For the bags try Matt's shaking idea and if that doesn't work go through each bag one by one by spreading the contents out on a tarp. After that, forget it - think of it as an opportunity to get another one.

Ralph
12-05-2015, 02:43 PM
I lost my wedding ring about 9 months ago....and recently found it. So don't give up.

Somehow it came off when I was putting DC earth in the pool skimmer, and I didn't notice it for a while. So had no idea where I lost it.

While cleaning out the skimmer basket....noticed something shiny jammed in a corner. It was the ring. And I had cleaned out that skimmer basket several times in last few months, and never saw it before. I never wanted to buy another ring, because it wouldn't be the one I had when I was married. So maybe you will have a similar story.

kramnnim
12-05-2015, 02:43 PM
If you had access to a portable pool for kids, you could dump the leaves into the water and the ring should sink to the bottom...

downtube
12-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Its only 6 bags, I would just get an empty bag and start putting small handfuls into it. You should feel the weight of the ring in a small handful of leaves. Put a big nut or bolt in a handful and you will see what I mean. Just go one handful at a time, put on your earbuds and grab a beer.

ultraman6970
12-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Easy, hide your wifes and you are good to go... :D

weisan
12-05-2015, 03:34 PM
True story.

We were watching a movie...I was playing with my ring...it came off suddenly, dropped to the ground, you could hear the "ping" sound and then it rolls....and it rolls....and it rolls. until it hit the front and stopped. My wife looked over to me, gave me a "you are so screwed buddy" kinda look.

67 minutes of torture, just waiting for the movie to end.

As soon as they turned on the light, I ran down to the front. Ring FOUND!!! I yelled out at her. She was not impressed.

From then on, I wore my ring on the right hand. Apparently the ring finger is "thicker" on the right than it is on the left. I dunno why, don't ask me.

Haven't fall out since...if anything, I have gained some weight and my fingers have gotten fatter...it's not coming out unless someone used a chainsaw.....

good luck my friend...it's good to have a plan B. :D

Ken Robb
12-05-2015, 03:37 PM
Depending on how tightly you packed them, The ring should be denser than the leaves. If it were me, I'd shake all the bags for about a minute, and then open them from the bottom and see if you find anything.

This sounds like a clever idea. I lost my ring a few years agoworking around our boat when the water was 62F. My replacement was sized for me to within 1/4 size so the fit is perfect and it won't come off in icewater.

buddybikes
12-05-2015, 03:52 PM
took mine off about 2 years in, and not sure where it is... wife doesn't care, long as I am home to cook dinner

moose8
12-05-2015, 03:55 PM
My friend hired someone off Craigslist to use a metal detector and found the ring a day after he lost it in a park.

batman1425
12-05-2015, 04:01 PM
Lost my ring for a day a few months ago. tore the house apart looking for it, no dice. Later that day I found it in the crisper drawer in the fridge. I was rooting around for some vegetables in the morning when it feel off. Never would have thought to look there, got lucky.

giverdada
12-05-2015, 04:27 PM
and i like how we all have stories and so many of us are thinking the same things. i'll work on the metal detector thing. currently, i've got the kiddy pool full of leaves (but it's dark so i have to come in and cook dinner like that one guy... :)), and a wheel as my sifting filter for the leaf bags i've been going through a handful at a time, over a tarp. so a combo of many ideas, and still only two bags int it. i've also considered slowly burning handfuls in the barbecue... might take a while but would certainly be thorough... also planning a bon fire at my brother's place in the country next weekend. and it's all been for love and is kinda meditative if i can make my mind get into it. i think the pool idea will work best so far. i've shaken the bags and cut some bottoms out but i think the leaves were packed too tightly to allow for much shifting of the ring to the bottom. will see more tomorrow. thanks all. always appreciated, and maybe karma will just help me out now that i've tapped into the collective consciousness. can't believe the crisper drawer story!!! jokes. i'm checking there next.

Ken Robb
12-05-2015, 04:37 PM
Lost my ring for a day a few months ago. tore the house apart looking for it, no dice. Later that day I found it in the crisper drawer in the fridge. I was rooting around for some vegetables in the morning when it feel off. Never would have thought to look there, got lucky.

I think we all hope that you get to the bottom of your crisper drawer at least once in a while-----------unless you use it for composting. :p

MattTuck
12-05-2015, 04:39 PM
Upon further thought, I think the solution is just burning the leaves. Your ring should emerge unscathed, maybe a little soot...

Would be awesome for your wife to come home and to tell her that you're fire hardening your ring. :banana:

fa63
12-05-2015, 04:48 PM
I lost mine about 6 months after getting married. I had the foresight to convince my wife not to spend much money on my ring (I think it was about $100 from Macy's) because I just hate wearing anything on my fingers and knew it would only be a matter of time until losing it. I have not bought a new ring since. My wife knows I am pretty harmless so she doesn't seem to care anymore :)

weisan
12-05-2015, 04:50 PM
Lost 3 Ring Wedding Set Raking Leaves in Backyard, in Cedar Hill,Tx

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Don.Wilson/2014/01/lost-3-ring-wedding-set-raking-leaves-backyard-cedar-hill-tx/

AJM100
12-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Would like to see what a concrete and stainless steel ring looks like? Two materials for a purpose I would never have thought to mix.:D

Frankwurst
12-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Been married for 35 years and know mines in my top dresser drawer. Took it off the week after we got married and haven't put it on since. Tell her you lost it and buy a new one if the wife wants you to wear one.:beer:

Tony T
12-05-2015, 08:20 PM
Still looking for a "nice set of clamp on DT friction shifters they'd like to sell"

:)

(sorry, couldn't resist :D)

joosttx
12-05-2015, 08:25 PM
Put all the leaves in a kiddie pool. The ring should drop to the bottom and the leaves should float.

thwart
12-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Apparently the ring finger is "thicker" on the right than it is on the left. I dunno why, don't ask me.

Not if you're a leftie... and no, I don't mean the political kind... :rolleyes:

Hank Scorpio
12-05-2015, 09:46 PM
Where you wearing gloves while bagging? Maybe it is still in the finger of the glove if you were.

I lost mine surfing the weekend of our honeymoon on Nantucket. I know, I know but it was chest high and off shore.

giverdada
12-06-2015, 08:49 PM
welp, back to the drawing board. i got through all the bags today using the kiddie pool method and no go. found all the rocks and dirt mixed in with the leaves, but no damn ring. ah well. i guess that means it's somewhere safer. i should have been wearing gloves with the work, and then i'd have a ring or at least somewhere to find it, but i was feeling tough that day. either way, had a great afternoon with the girls as they cleaned and raked and everything with me. no ring, but a great afternoon looking for it. thanks again for all of the recommendations. does a metal detector work inside a house full of nails and screws?:crap:

downtube
12-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Do you take it off when you ride? Could it be by where you put on your gloves? or a gym bag?

Louis
12-06-2015, 08:58 PM
Wait 16 years then start a carrot garden:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-16374283

msl819
12-06-2015, 09:48 PM
Shrinkage? I don't like the sound of that.

Like a frightened turtle!

Ken Robb
12-06-2015, 09:50 PM
Like a frightened turtle!

Seinfeld to Elaine to explain George's embarrassment. Way too funny!

stackie
12-06-2015, 10:21 PM
Here, let me relate lost wedding ring to cycling.

Was riding on a group ride many years ago shortly after getting married. Had ring a little loose since I was new to wearing jewelry. Reached down to tighten buckle on my shoe. Tinkle... ring falls off and goes rolling down the road.

All the guys stopped and we rolled that section for what seemed like forever. Finally, I give up and we roll on. I'm just thinking how much my wife is going to love this. One of the guys rolls up along side me and says, "That totally sucks the you lost your ring. Your wife is going to be pissed." I agreed. Then, he says, "Maybe if you put this one on, she won't notice." And he hands me my ring.

I actually laughed. It was pretty funny.

Jon

ultraman6970
12-06-2015, 11:39 PM
A tear came out your eye too, right?

joosttx
12-07-2015, 06:04 AM
Well at least you love to your wife last longer than stainless steel. Or something like that would be a good way to spin this....