PDA

View Full Version : At-home laser/IPL hair removal

Dead Man
12-05-2015, 01:02 PM
In all the discussions about leg sheering, I've never seen this come up. I'm not forking over $5000+ for hairless legs, so professional laser hair removal is out. But I've been reading from a swath of positive reviews on some of the DIY IPL devices... seems like they actually work. Perhaps not perfectly smooth legs, just from the device, but 75% permanent reduction in hair growth from as few as 3 zap sessions would mean 75% less ingrown hairs when I do shave.

And apparently my skin is just plain sensitive as fawk, 'cause I get crazy ingrown hairs.

Before I get all the standard tips and tricks - yes, I have tried different razors, I do exfoliate, I do use a good lotion after, I do let the skin "rest" between shavings, I do go with the grain on the sensitive parts, I do use a good slick shave gel, etc. I've tried just about every commonly known thing there is, and I still get crazy razor burn. I've also tried waxing - a lot, and several different varieties... sugar gel, strips, sugaring (actual sugaring), etc. Oddly enough, the only type of wax I have not ever tried is straight up hot wax... but I don't see how that could possibly be an improvement. The problem is that my roots seem to be tough as sheit, and a lot of the hairs break off at skin level, instead of pulling out. Which screws me up even worse than shaving. Sugaring does not seem to break the hairs off, but it's a messy, even more time consuming PITA, misses a lot of hair, and the recipes are really hard to get right.

All of that said, to preclude having to visit it again, if you see anything missing or holes in my methods/progression of attempts at leg sheering, please feel free to offer.

BUT... I'm pretty damn well convinced I want to try the IPL devices.

So, to the question.... anyone here ever used one? What's the best bang for the buck?

Thanks!

-B

OtayBW
12-05-2015, 04:15 PM
Straight razor. An acquired skill and not for everyone, but no more ingrown hair or razor burn, and likely little need for much of your other depilatory-tonsorial regimen.

djg21
12-05-2015, 10:10 PM
In all the discussions about leg sheering, I've never seen this come up. I'm not forking over $5000+ for hairless legs, so professional laser hair removal is out. But I've been reading from a swath of positive reviews on some of the DIY IPL devices... seems like they actually work. Perhaps not perfectly smooth legs, just from the device, but 75% permanent reduction in hair growth from as few as 3 zap sessions would mean 75% less ingrown hairs when I do shave.

And apparently my skin is just plain sensitive as fawk, 'cause I get crazy ingrown hairs.

Before I get all the standard tips and tricks - yes, I have tried different razors, I do exfoliate, I do use a good lotion after, I do let the skin "rest" between shavings, I do go with the grain on the sensitive parts, I do use a good slick shave gel, etc. I've tried just about every commonly known thing there is, and I still get crazy razor burn. I've also tried waxing - a lot, and several different varieties... sugar gel, strips, sugaring (actual sugaring), etc. Oddly enough, the only type of wax I have not ever tried is straight up hot wax... but I don't see how that could possibly be an improvement. The problem is that my roots seem to be tough as sheit, and a lot of the hairs break off at skin level, instead of pulling out. Which screws me up even worse than shaving. Sugaring does not seem to break the hairs off, but it's a messy, even more time consuming PITA, misses a lot of hair, and the recipes are really hard to get right.

All of that said, to preclude having to visit it again, if you see anything missing or holes in my methods/progression of attempts at leg sheering, please feel free to offer.

BUT... I'm pretty damn well convinced I want to try the IPL devices.

So, to the question.... anyone here ever used one? What's the best bang for the buck?

Thanks!

-B

I use an electric Phillips Norelco "man groomer" that cost less than $70 at Target. It doesn't shave as close as a razor. But it's easy, I don't get ingrown hairs or razor bumps, and I can't cut myself. It shaves plenty close enough.

Dead Man
12-06-2015, 10:59 AM
Sunday bump...

getting the feeling I'll be trailblazing this one

makoti
12-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Straight razor. An acquired skill and not for everyone, but no more ingrown hair or razor burn, and likely little need for much of your other depilatory-tonsorial regimen.

I use a safety, not guts for straight. Why no ingrowns with that as opposed to safety?

m_sasso
12-06-2015, 01:52 PM
Had nearly the same issues, try Neo-Medrol lotion by Pifzer it is the only thing that ever worked for me. Neomycin is an antibiotic, Methylprednisolone is an anti-inflammatory that helps to reduce the redness and swelling.

Lewis Moon
12-06-2015, 02:05 PM
I go full Neanderthal. The hairy legs, grey beard, hand me down jerseys, Fred fluoro jacket and 16 year old steel bike lolls the young gunslingers into a sense of complacency...then I go and waste it by being slow.

OtayBW
12-06-2015, 02:44 PM
I use a safety, not guts for straight. Why no ingrowns with that as opposed to safety?Good question. I can only speculate, but I think the DE (safety) tends to minimize bumps and irritation over the more prevalent machfusionturbosixbladedcontraptions that are now prevalent. At least that's widely reported. But with a DE, you're still pulling a safety bar across your skin in advance of the blade. You need very light pressure with a DE, but I think a lot of folks tend to overdo it. With a straight, it's just the one blade on skin and you can better control pressure, angle, and direction (sweep strokes, etc) to accommodate beard growth pattern better. Hard to say exactly, but the straight just give me the best shave ever with no irritation. I think that people who use either DE or straight tend to pay more attention to lather and hydrating the skin more than most folks, so that accounts for a lot of benefit as well. YMMV. :beer:

Dead Man
12-06-2015, 02:50 PM
I use an electric Phillips Norelco "man groomer" that cost less than $70 at Target. It doesn't shave as close as a razor. But it's easy, I don't get ingrown hairs or razor bumps, and I can't cut myself. It shaves plenty close enough.

I did this when I first started leg sheering, but I hated the perpetual stubble. I just plain prefer smooth, if I'm gonna be sheered.

I'm stubbly right now, and it's like velcro under these synthetic pants.. every time I sit down and hike the pant legs up, I can hear it - riiiiip.

Cicli
12-06-2015, 02:59 PM
Safety razor.

I dealt with ingrowns and razor burn for years. Steped up to a good safety razor and after learning to use it, problem solved. I use a disposable for only one spot on my face around a mole. The safety razor will slice it off in one easy swipe.
Once you learn to use a safety razor you will never use a disposable again. Never.

Now the scoop that I got on why ingrowns. Disposable razors, I use Mach3's, are designed for a close shave like the much sharper safety razor. They work but allow you to shave in a hurry without springing a bunch of leaks and still get a close shave. How they do it is that the first blade is designed to slightly tug your hair and the second blade cuts it off. The hair then recedes back under the skin and viola, close shave and a bunch of ingrowns. Safety razors give me a closer shave but you cant be in a hurry.

Dead Man
12-06-2015, 04:47 PM
I want to believe a safety or straight razor would fix my problem, but I'm just in total disbelief it could possibly make enough of a difference

I mean, I even get ingrowns shaving with the grain. That shouldn't even really be possible

Cicli
12-06-2015, 04:51 PM
I want to believe a safety or straight razor would fix my problem, but I'm just in total disbelief it could possibly make enough of a difference

I mean, I even get ingrowns shaving with the grain. That shouldn't even really be possible

It is with a disposable.

Dead Man
12-06-2015, 05:04 PM
It is with a disposable.

Gotcha. If your theory is correct, then yes, I see that

HOWEVER ... I did once try those Bic single-blade disposable razors, and that was by far the worst shaving experience of my life. Obviously not the highest quality shave, but was single-blade

Cicli
12-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Gotcha. If your theory is correct, then yes, I see that

HOWEVER ... I did once try those Bic single-blade disposable razors, and that was by far the worst shaving experience of my life. Obviously not the highest quality shave, but was single-blade

Yeah, a good safety razor blade is the sharpest thing you will ever run across. You can cut and don't even know it. Its amazing. Far better than even the best disposable.

Dead Man
12-06-2015, 07:05 PM
Yeah, a good safety razor blade is the sharpest thing you will ever run across. You can cut and don't even know it. Its amazing. Far better than even the best disposable.

I guess I'll have to give it a try - I'm going to have to continue to shave anyway, IPL or not. Are safety razors created equal? Definitely looking for utility, nothing fricken antique or boutique

Cicli
12-06-2015, 07:16 PM
I guess I'll have to give it a try - I'm going to have to continue to shave anyway, IPL or not. Are safety razors created equal? Definitely looking for utility, nothing fricken antique or boutique

I like a Jagger or Merkur. No slant and no adjustable. Blades, Wilkenson Sword work the best for me. I change the blade weekly an account of the price. 100 blades for 20 bucks.

DRietz
12-06-2015, 07:19 PM

Buy a used one. I bought mine - a used, but not abused, Gillette from ~1940 - from a gent over on http://straightrazorplace.com/forum.php

Some people get pretty deep into it in terms of pairing the right razor with the right blade for optimal smoothness/no skin irritation. I'd say finding the right blade is the more important part of that equation, but that forum is good for research if you are inclined to get OCD about it.

eippo1
12-07-2015, 01:35 PM
I prefer a semi aggressive Merkur (34C) with a wicked sharp blade. But the below is a great starter one especially since you'll be going around legs etc.

http://vintagebladesllc.com/collections/safety-razors-and-blades/products/merkur-1904-classic-42

I actually have a spare 1904 that used to use for travel if you want it. Just make a donation to the Paceline and I'll send it to you.

One thing i might suggest would be to add some sort of gripper to the bottom of the razor (like rubber bands etc.). I slipped with mine and took off a good part of the skin along my achilles.

I also find that for my ultra sensitive skin, Feather blades are best and ones like Wilkinsons are way too dull for me, but you might like them better with a rougher beard. Best to try a couple.

Dead Man
12-07-2015, 02:13 PM
I prefer a semi aggressive Merkur (34C) with a wicked sharp blade. But the below is a great starter one especially since you'll be going around legs etc.

http://vintagebladesllc.com/collections/safety-razors-and-blades/products/merkur-1904-classic-42

I actually have a spare 1904 that used to use for travel if you want it. Just make a donation to the Paceline and I'll send it to you.

One thing i might suggest would be to add some sort of gripper to the bottom of the razor (like rubber bands etc.). I slipped with mine and took off a good part of the skin along my achilles.

I also find that for my ultra sensitive skin, Feather blades are best and ones like Wilkinsons are way too dull for me, but you might like them better with a rougher beard. Best to try a couple.

Sounds like a deal to me. Ill donate an equitable amount

Shoot me a PM, or i'll shoot you one tonight.

Just bought one of these...http://www.walmart.com/ip/Veet-Infini-Silk-PRO-Light-Based-IPL-Hair-Removal-System/43454246?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=139&adid=22222222228031871132&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=59969948072&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=122982801392&veh=sem

Seems like an absolute ···· ton of super satisfied users.. And im a pale guy with dark hair, so im the ideal candidate .. We'll see what happens

Louis
12-07-2015, 03:14 PM
You mean 5 blades + a comb isn't enough for you guys?

(I have a beard, and haven't used a non-electric shaver in about 20 years.)

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-29523360387793/gillette-fusion-proglide-power-cartridge-8-count-2.gif

Dead Man
02-21-2016, 06:19 PM
lil update is in order...

I bought an IPL. Long story short: for my skin type, it works man. On my winter-white legs and dark hair, I've got about a 90+% reduction in hair. 4-5 treatments, every other week.. Actually freaken works.

Not done with the whole thing... works better on some areas than others, so the places where my skin tone is darker, I'm still spot-treating. Once the spring season starts, I'll probably just give it all a rest, since I'm gonna want to have clean legs and won't want to have to dick around with the laser... I'll just shave and not worry about anything else.

But I think its probably good to give the skin a rest from it anyway... you want to give the dormant hairs a chance to reactive and grow in, so you can get them too. The laser won't kill a follicle unless it's actively growing a hair, since it uses the hair to kill the follicle. It's kind of a trip. Also, it takes a lot of time for the dead hairs to actually come out of the skin.. and they just chill there, kinda bristly, but never getting any longer, till they do.. and I think those dead ones have contributed to a little minor folliculitus.

I trust my ingrowns will be a thing of a past pretty soon.

Mission acccomplished.

I've also been using Eippo's Merkur... safety razors are f'ing dangerous, but do actually give a way better shave with less irritation. I can actually go against the grain on my neck with the thing - never have been able to with a cartridge razor. At least if I don't want horrible razor burn.

Peter P.
02-21-2016, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the update.

Have you considered seeing a dermatologist? I'm sure they have some treatments or suggestions you might not have heard of.

OtayBW
02-22-2016, 06:06 AM
I've also been using Eippo's Merkur... safety razors are f'ing dangerous, but do actually give a way better shave with less irritation. I can actually go against the grain on my neck with the thing - never have been able to with a cartridge razor. At least if I don't want horrible razor burn.And again, as an acknowledged straight razor enthusiast, that same level of improvement exists when (if) you go to a straight....