PDA

View Full Version : SS 29er wheelset?

thenewguy11
12-04-2015, 09:34 PM
So I need a SS 29er wheelset. I was thinking King Hubs and Stans tubeless rims. But honestly I don't know much about mtn bike gear and the King hubs have options I'm unfamiliar with (SD/LD). Thoughts? Opinions?

p nut
12-04-2015, 09:52 PM
You can't go wrong with King. I'm actually looking at building another wheelset and looking hard at King hubs with Crest rims. I currently have DT240 on Crest which has also been flawless. Industry Nine makes some solid products as well. Lots to choose from!

JAGI410
12-04-2015, 10:31 PM
Phil makes great hubs too, and there happens to be a decent deal on some here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=168498

thenewguy11
12-04-2015, 10:46 PM
I saw that ad (great looking wheelset) but I need something with rotors for disc brakes. Don't think those have 'em.

oldpotatoe
12-05-2015, 06:46 AM
So I need a SS 29er wheelset. I was thinking King Hubs and Stans tubeless rims. But honestly I don't know much about mtn bike gear and the King hubs have options I'm unfamiliar with (SD/LD). Thoughts? Opinions?

King hubs, as SS hubs, great choice(as are the road hubs before anybody gets upset, just way complicated with proprietary innards). I'd find a different rim tho. Velocity Blunt, DT rims, Pacenti, better choices, IMHO.

gdw
12-05-2015, 09:47 AM
Phil Wood or White hubs, Pacenti, WTB, or Velocity rims. Surly's ss hub is excellent and less expensive than the others if you want to save a few bucks.

pakora
12-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Why not Stan's rims for a mtb? Not that I'm against any of the other options, just that I'm hard on wheels and have had zero problems with Flow EXs in thrashing them for 2 years.

pcxmbfj
12-05-2015, 04:51 PM
I believe most if not all Stans are buildt by SunRingle. Some say they are soft but I can't confirm that by my use.

gdw
12-05-2015, 04:58 PM
I've never used Stan's so I didn't recommend them. I've read/heard that they are soft too but quite a few riders I knew use and like them.

Andreas
12-05-2015, 06:21 PM

Industry9 > King or Hadley > Hope > Paul

DT240 degree of engagement is poor compared to above
Stay away from phil hubs, while their SS hub does not have the same issues as the cassette hubs, still not problem free
XT hubs, esp TA, have had a lot of freehub issues - XTR seem to be not affected

Rims WTB i35

A1CKot
12-05-2015, 11:06 PM
LD stands for large diameter and can only work with 15/20mm thru axles. SD is small diameter and can l work with quick release and 15mm thru axle. Separate axle kits are available to meet your configuration.

Also I send you a PM.

oldpotatoe
12-06-2015, 06:39 AM
Why not Stan's rims for a mtb? Not that I'm against any of the other options, just that I'm hard on wheels and have had zero problems with Flow EXs in thrashing them for 2 years.

Built enough to not really like them. Not very flat/round when new and 'some' had a tendency to pull nipples thru even at a proper tension. There are better choices, IMHO.