PDA

View Full Version : OT: something we can all agree on; masters doper (update: it's more than cheating)

velomonkey
12-04-2015, 06:30 PM
I am out on the town (hence mobile) I got some yummy bourbon in me (paceline knows bourbon) and we argued guns for 48 hours. . . .

Zero (http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/12/news/age-group-cyclist-fails-doping-test-at-louisiana-championships_390281) patience for some dude that literally injected to beat me (us) - there is hope : )

makoti
12-04-2015, 06:56 PM
I am out on the town (hence mobile) I got some yummy bourbon in me (paceline knows bourbon) and we argued guns for 48 hours. . . .

Zero (http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/12/news/age-group-cyclist-fails-doping-test-at-louisiana-championships_390281) patience for some dude that literally injected to beat me (us) - there is hope : )

I wonder how long he's been doing it? Did he just decide, screw it, I'm gonna win something? Or has he just never stopped from when he was younger?

Ronsonic
12-04-2015, 08:06 PM
This is all pathetic - bro' juices to race age group regional. Age group regional dope tests. Both things are in a race to the bottom of the suckage barrel.

mg2ride
12-04-2015, 08:52 PM
That's sad. Both guys on the left look like dopers compared to the one on the right.

He is likely the deserving winner.

velomonkey
12-04-2015, 09:16 PM
Mg2ride - where is my "like" button!!!!

beeatnik
12-04-2015, 09:26 PM

Dead Man
12-04-2015, 09:31 PM
I wandered around the liquor store for like 20 minutes tonight, after the wife reneged and asked me to stop smoking pot.. settled on a bottle of "Grog." Anything to get away from my former standard bourbon

Tastes like Juicyfruit.. kinda gross.. not really digging it

FML

don compton
12-04-2015, 09:55 PM
I hate this doping thing, but isn't it kind of a statement of our current society?
Actors pumped on steroids, athletes pumped up. Is this really that much of a surprise or disappointment? Quick fix to success, or in the case of this masters racing, a fake and a cheat.

velomonkey
12-04-2015, 10:03 PM
I hit the bourbon cause a friend is dying.

Yea, he aint gonna make it. He has blood cancer and is blind. It's been a long time coming and I feel like I wasn't there. So it was Friday in December and I found out just Thursday night he wast gonna make it so I hit the bourbon - after arguing guns for like 2 days on a bike site. Stupid.

Guess there are worse things. I spoke to my wife tonight and she knew it was bugging me and we rearranged our weekend.

This is THE guy who showed me the roads in CT when I moved here from DC in my early 30s. I was still kinda fast then - he was older and not as fast. He wanted to win Masters New England and came damn close. I'll never forget he said he wanted it 'so bad he could taste it.' When Katrina hit New Orleans he held a charity ride rather than train for New England masters. He could have won it then, but he rode his bike and gave money to people far away. Glad I did it with him.

It's gonna be 50 degreees tomorrow - in December in New England. We should all ride. We should all be so lucky. Cherish you and yours.

I'm gonna go to the Hospital and read "the ride" to my friend. Or hold his hand or do whatever he wants. Anhoooooowwwwww . . . . we all are brothers in a fraternity that others don't understand. Figured you all might know and, well . . . this sucks.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5787/23161540149_e0b2f9cac1_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/BhGWX8)FullSizeRender (https://flic.kr/p/BhGWX8)

makoti
12-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Really sorry to hear this, VM. I don't have much to offer you, other than talk a lot about those roads, those rides, and the good times.

shovelhd
12-04-2015, 10:12 PM
VM. God bless.

As for the dopers, any Cat1 that bitches about the $25 is part of the problem. Downgrade or STFU.

velomonkey
12-04-2015, 10:34 PM
Thanks, guys. Sincerely, I appreciate it.

mod6
12-04-2015, 10:35 PM
VM vibes on the friend, cancer just sucks. My wife Aunts just went into hospice due to brain cancer.....Guys thanks on all the bourbon suggestion a couple months ago. Really enjoying trying some of the suggestions . Doping is sad as the end of the day were are ridding a bikes. Unfortunately this year I have seen a bunch of guys that I've raced in the past putting up some eye raising results. Sadly I think it is more rampant than we want to believe.

Raffy
12-05-2015, 05:28 AM
VM, so sorry to hear about your friend.

oldpotatoe
12-05-2015, 06:09 AM
Most important part of the post..after the events of the last few weeks...

"we all are brothers in a fraternity" and sisters, don't forget the women even tho sometimes they would like to forget us. ;)

Gentle journey for your friend. Him knowing you are there gives him great comfort.

OtayBW
12-05-2015, 06:24 AM
It's gonna be 50 degreees tomorrow - in December in New England. We should all ride.Will do. Plenty to think about. Sorry about your friend.

Tandem Rider
12-05-2015, 08:16 AM
I'll take some extra pulls into the wind for you and your friend.

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-05-2015, 08:21 AM
"..............we all are brothers in a fraternity that others don't understand."

Post of the year. Sorry about your friend.

velomonkey
12-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Went with 2 other cycling buddies and sat at the hospital room w/ our friend for about 4 hours.

Lots of talk about rides and races. I'm sure the speeds were increased and placings in races were higher, but we had a lot of good memories and the conversation was great.

He did get partial site back in one eye, but can hardly see due to the cataracts. His other eye is ruptured well beyond repair.

It was a sad and also cathartic day. Was great weather and I didn't get to ride which is fine by me.

Thanks.

AngryScientist
12-05-2015, 03:30 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your pal, fraternity indeed. it is a sign of a life well lived when you enjoy your final days in the company of good pals talking about the good times. it shows good character on your part for going and being with him during these hours, lots of people would use the "it's too hard to see him like this" excuse. you're a good friend monkey.

pro12tc
12-05-2015, 11:33 PM
lots of people would use the "it's too hard to see him like this" excuse. you're a good friend monkey.

Well said.

livingminimal
12-06-2015, 07:41 AM
Best to you and your friend, and his family...

Tickdoc
12-06-2015, 07:57 AM
Went with 2 other cycling buddies and sat at the hospital room w/ our friend for about 4 hours.

Lots of talk about rides and races. I'm sure the speeds were increased and placings in races were higher, but we had a lot of good memories and the conversation was great.

He did get partial site back in one eye, but can hardly see due to the cataracts. His other eye is ruptured well beyond repair.

It was a sad and also cathartic day. Was great weather and I didn't get to ride which is fine by me.

Thanks.

Glad you had the time with him and were able to reflect back on good times.

Avincent52
12-06-2015, 08:09 AM
... lots of people would use the "it's too hard to see him like this" excuse. you're a good friend monkey.

You did a good, hard thing.