PDA

View Full Version : More masters doping.

djg21
12-04-2015, 05:55 PM
Todd Hickman, of Byhalia, Mississippi, tested positive for stanozolol and methylphenidate at the Louisiana-Mississippi (LAMBRA) Age-Graded Road Championships, held September 6 in St. Francisville, Louisiana.

Hickman, 49, won the 66-mile championship race out of a field of 10 riders in the 40+ age group. He has accepted a four-year ban for the doping offense.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/12/news/age-group-cyclist-fails-doping-test-at-louisiana-championships_390281#Q4J76RHmS1B6FhFK.99

ultraman6970
12-04-2015, 06:06 PM
This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen... ok you reach 40... your balls start to play backwards after that age, what else you can do? nothing more than accept it, you get old no more, no less...

I was the doping entities I would ban ofenders for life. At 35 y/o or more, stuck in like a cat 4 or 5 (even masters) if you need to drink something to perform then you arent racing for fun. That is the main reason people do the sport, specially when they start really old already (over 25). Fun.

The day these people starts getting bans for life the field will be getting more fun, specially for the ones that do the sport because they love it, for fun.

dsimon
12-04-2015, 06:17 PM
I don't now about you but my balls don't go backwards they just hit the toilet water:help:

JAllen
12-04-2015, 06:23 PM
I don't now about you but my balls don't go backwards they just hit the toilet water:help:

Perfect timing for that little splash of a comment. I was taking a bite of pecan pie. Thanks.

commonguy001
12-04-2015, 06:31 PM

Excellent :beer:

djg21
12-04-2015, 06:37 PM
I'm curious as to why an athlete would dope with methylphenidate (Ritalin). I thought it was a central nervous system stimulant used to enhance alertness and concentration. Does it enhance physical performance, or is it just used to maintain acuity at the end of a race while fatigued?

ultraman6970
12-04-2015, 06:41 PM
Great! hahaha

grawk
12-04-2015, 06:43 PM
I'm curious as to why an athlete would dope with methylphenidate (Ritalin). I thought it was a central nervous system stimulant used to enhance alertness and concentration. Does it enhance physical performance, or is it just used to maintain acuity at the end of a race while fatigued?
Or they just are prescribed ritalin and didn't realize it was banned.

ultraman6970
12-04-2015, 06:50 PM
at 40 y/o???

shovelhd
12-04-2015, 06:55 PM
If he really has ADD he could get a TUE for it, but not for the anabolic steroid.

makoti
12-04-2015, 06:59 PM
at 40 y/o???

I took it at 55. For concussion symptoms.

ultraman6970
12-04-2015, 07:01 PM
Well this is the thing... if you dont know the medicine will cause doping problems at least you tell after the test or something, so far the guy just went and took the punishment, that doesnt make any sense.

CunegoFan
12-04-2015, 07:13 PM
Well this is the thing... if you dont know the medicine will cause doping problems at least you tell after the test or something, so far the guy just went and took the punishment, that doesnt make any sense.

Stanozolol is a steroid. It is the same substance Ben Johnson tested positive for. There is no TUE for that.

The Ritalin is an example of a larger problem with testing a recreational sport. You will pop a bunch of people who don't mean to dope and don't even know what they are taking is prohibited. The ADAs don't care because their goal is not to stop doping; it is to appear like they are making progress by occasionally besting someone, anyone for anything.

false_Aest
12-04-2015, 07:17 PM
If the money YOU-sac allocated to testing for masters riders goes through, we're gonna see A LOT more positives.

. . . promise

Thankfully there's already a SoCal "team" named B-Sample.

Dr Luxurious
12-05-2015, 12:05 AM
It's a form of speed.
Partly what killed Tom Simpson.

read this
http://www.amazon.com/Rough-Ride-Cyclist-Cycling-Classics/dp/0224080172

spartanKid
12-05-2015, 12:46 AM
Winny and ritalin......has this guy been getting supplement advice from a pro body builder?!?!?!

ultraman6970
12-05-2015, 12:50 AM
Dude looks pretty muscular for a cyclist.

soulspinner
12-05-2015, 05:25 AM
Hes taking stuff to beat a field of 10 of us old guys? :D

Mikej
12-05-2015, 07:43 AM
I thought I read somewhere that Ritalin was one carbon atom off of being cocaine. Not sure if that means anything, but it sure helps the college kids during exams...

mecse
12-05-2015, 08:53 AM
http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/12/news/age-group-cyclist-fails-doping-test-at-louisiana-championships_390281#Q4J76RHmS1B6FhFK.99

Really, how incredibly stupid can one be.

Ritalin has a whole bunch of nasty side effects that you have to watch out for.

And the steroid long term increase in cancer risk, liver problems, heart disease, all sorts of other things. I wouldn't take either one unless I really had to.

I hope this guy had to take these for something unrelated and is too embaressed to say what medical conditions he has, because the alternative theory is that a grown man took risky medications to win an amateur bicycle race, and that's just plain embarrassing.

DFORD
12-05-2015, 10:48 AM

scrotal sag. it's just another humiliation of getting old.

shovelhd
12-05-2015, 11:42 AM

Why wouldn't you want increased alertness and concentration when you are hurtling through an off camber manhole ridden crit corner shoulder to shoulder at 30mph?

shovelhd
12-05-2015, 11:45 AM
Really, how incredibly stupid can one be.

Ritalin has a whole bunch of nasty side effects that you have to watch out for.

And the steroid long term increase in cancer risk, liver problems, heart disease, all sorts of other things. I wouldn't take either one unless I really had to.

I hope this guy had to take these for something unrelated and is too embaressed to say what medical conditions he has, because the alternative theory is that a grown man took risky medications to win an amateur bicycle race, and that's just plain embarrassing.

Every racer that takes out a license has the responsibility to know what they are putting into their body. No excuses. This guy was not new to racing. Absolutely no excuses. He doped to win. And he won. Then he got caught. This really sucks for the other two and the fourth guy that never got to stand on the podium.

djg21
12-05-2015, 03:33 PM
Why wouldn't you want increased alertness and concentration when you are hurtling through an off camber manhole ridden crit corner shoulder to shoulder at 30mph?

I get that. I was curious as to whether it has a physiological effect too.

Joachim
12-05-2015, 03:53 PM
I get that. I was curious as to whether it has a physiological effect too.

Yes it does.

macaroon
12-05-2015, 06:25 PM
So, so sad.

Hls2k6
12-05-2015, 08:00 PM

Recently, I was tested by USADA immediately postrace. You are asked seven ways from Sunday if there are any prescriptions or supplements you'd like to disclose. They make it extremely clear, "if there's anything we should know, even anything you're unsure about, now is the time." You even have to affirm a "nothing to disclose" statement.

BobC
12-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Every racer that takes out a license has the responsibility to know what they are putting into their body. No excuses. This guy was not new to racing. Absolutely no excuses. He doped to win. And he won. Then he got caught. This really sucks for the other two and the fourth guy that never got to stand on the podium.

My teammates & I were chatting about this yesterday. Our theory is that he has been doping for a while, figured he was clear & miscalculated.

Nobody dopes to win a 10 man field. Nobody.

redir
12-07-2015, 10:15 AM
"Hickman, 49, won the 66-mile championship race out of a field of 10 riders in the 40+ age group."

This seriously made me laugh out loud.

Jgrooms
12-07-2015, 10:30 AM
The ADAs don't care because their goal is not to stop doping; it is to appear like they are making progress by occasionally besting someone, anyone for anything.

Bingo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54ny77
12-07-2015, 11:10 AM
The irony is even if lifetime bans (which should happen, frankly), many masters will dope it up just to be THE MAN on the weekend worlds ride.

Jgrooms
12-07-2015, 11:22 AM
The irony is even if lifetime bans (which should happen, frankly), many masters will dope it up just to be THE MAN on the weekend worlds ride.

Gym rats dope to look in the mirror. Should anyone be surprised if there is a line to cross that people look for an advantage? As long as man had competed, it had been the case.

In a culture where for the past 20 yrs we've been doping kids for 'behavior' and rx opiates are prescribed like candy, I find the "outrage" over a masters athlete surprising. There is a liquor store, E cig joint & a pharmacy on every corner...and just because its the norm doesn't make it normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CunegoFan
12-07-2015, 11:31 AM
Gym rats dope to look in the mirror. Should anyone be surprised if there is a line to cross that people look for an advantage? As long as man had competed, it had been the case.

In a culture where for the past 20 yrs we've been doping kids for 'behavior' and rx opiates are prescribed like candy, I find the "outrage" over a masters athlete surprising. There is a liquor store, E cig joint & a pharmacy on every corner...and just because its the norm doesn't make it normal.

I would not be surprised if many of the amateurs busted for doping would be using the same stuff if they didn't race, especially when it comes to testosterone and steroids. A lot of that is about looking and feeling better. Any sort of race gain may be viewed as a beneficial side effect.

Waldo
12-07-2015, 12:31 PM

This is while you pee standing up?:fight: