PDA

View Full Version : Wheel purchase advice sought

DavidK
05-27-2006, 12:46 PM
There seems to be an almost infinite number of choices for purchasing wheels nowadays, and to be honest I haven't been able to really penetrate my way through the range of choices.

So, I've come to ask... what would you recommend for me?

If you recall, I have a Nove on the way, probably about 4 weeks away.

Unfortunately in 4 weeks I can't get a pair of Ada's made... so I'm going to have to pick something off the shelf.

Aside from an interest in Ada's (definately because of this forum and his posting here)... I've not really much interest in having wheels built, I'm in London and know of no master wheel builder... and to be totally blunt, I want something that looks a bit pimped! :)

My riding style goes two ways: Long century rides over mostly flat land with the odd big and steep hill thrown in. And secondly, very fast commutes featuring sprints up The Mall and Piccadilly. There is a third scenario where I race crits, but I haven't done it yet, it's just aspiration.

Physically I remain a slip of man, 6ft 2 (http://www.google.com/search?q=6+foot+2+inches+in+cm) and 11 stone (http://www.google.com/search?q=11+stone+in+pounds) . So I don't need anything that would be tailored to fit a clydesdale, just something to fit a tall slim dude.

I'm torn between wheels that would suit century rides and hills, and wheels that would suit races.

I'm a campagnolo guy, so has to be 10 speed compatible.

On the tub vs clincher front, I'm comfortable and very familiar with clinchers, and have never ever owned any tubs. So unless I'm convinced of the ease of use of tubs, I'm staying clincher.

Budget... unimportant, I just got a pay-raise and a bonus, and my credit card still has spare capacity. That said, I want value for money, and feel no need to buy wheels only because they have a high price tag... I feel better about purchases when I feel I received value for money.

The wheels I've considered most:
Campagnolo Neutrons

The wheels I keep returning to:
Ada's
Campagnolo Hyperons
Campagnolo Bora (it's the pimp look!)
Fulcrum Racing Light
Fulcrum Racing Speed

Wheels I've ruled out:
Anything by Mavic.. I don't know why... they just seem... common ;)

Not quite in, and not quite out:
Zipp 303
Zipp 404
Zipp 808

I'm a little unconvinced by Zipp... everytime I see a pair that floating bit of carbon that doesn't fit on the hub properly just puts me off them on the basis that they should pay better attention to the details. I'm very fussy!

On Lightweights... I'd love a pair. But a large part of me thinks that if I want a pair, I should just get Ada's, and Ada's are ruled out solely because I can't wait 3 months to get them (I'd have to buy another pair of wheels in the meantime!). So I end up talking myself out of either.

The colour scheme for the bike is Candy Apple Red (major colour) and Frost White (behind decals) in the Indy style. This was also part of the thing that ruled out Mavics, the cosmics are yellow labelled. It's part of what makes Fulcrum and Campag so high too, they're red and white :)

So... given that information overload... what would you recommend?

I'm looking for a reduction in the number of options btw... so don't come in with 20 other pairs of wheels I should consider ;) I'd love it if something new was recommended that lots of people swore by, or that quite a few people chose one or two of the above selection and helped me make my mind up :)

I hate choosing wheels!

Thanks in advance for all your help.

News Man
05-27-2006, 12:55 PM
If you can afford the ADA's, you should wait. If you are building your dream bike, then build it! You can get a nice set of wheels in the interim for say $500 (1/10 of the ADA's) and then sell them for a couple hundred 3 months later.

I like custom steel frames and I have waited years for them (and they have been worth it). 3 months is like coasting.

Louis
05-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Physically I remain a slip of man, 6ft 2 and 11 stone. So I don't need anything that would be tailored to fit a clydesdale, just something to fit a tall slim dude.

To save others from having to do the conversion also: 11 stone = 154 lbs

Also, if you can't decide, why not get two pairs of wheels, one tailored for centuries, one for races?

zap
05-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Don't rule out Zipp rims built with Tune or White Industries new hubs.

DavidK
05-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Also, if you can't decide, why not get two pairs of wheels, one tailored for centuries, one for races?

I added the conversion links now ;)

It hadn't occured to me to have two sets of wheels. But I think I'd rule it out based on extreme laziness. I'd have to swap them for each Sunday Surrey Hills ride, and then back again afterwards. And I'm just too lazy to remember ;) I'd end up with the race wheels permanently! I know myself far too well

saab2000
05-27-2006, 01:07 PM
I sort of agree that if you can afford the ADA wheels you should probably get them. Wheels make a colossal difference on a bike. Why buy a $5000 bike and use cheap wheels?

You will have to use tubulars and that is a whole 'nuther world you will have to live in. There are some drawbacks to tubulars in terms of convenience, and you will really have to learn to glue them properly, but the improvement in ride and handling is noticable.

I use Nucleon tubulars on two of my bikes. They are functionally identical to the Neutrons. I don't think you would be sorry with these.

Frankly, I think a good compromise if you wish to go clincher but still want Campagnolo and something modern would be the new Campagnolo Eurus. They don't require a rim strip and from what I have heard are very good wheels. They are available in clincher or tubular.

And don't give up on all Mavic. The Cosmic Carbone tubulars are not common at all. They are a bit heavier than some carbon wheels, but have a terrific reputation.

Best bang for the buck nowadays? I would go with Campagnolo Eurus. Or wait and get the ADA wheels.

flyingscot
05-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Confused why you want Lightweights but consider them a second choice to ADAs?

Ask Jack Brunk what he thinks of his Lightweights!

If they are good enough for Erik and Jan.....

OilyFish
05-27-2006, 01:16 PM
For everyday wheels, carbon braking surfaces in the UK weather may not be the best idea.
If you were to get two wheelsets, one braking surface carbon, one alloy - consider changing brake pads as well as wheels to add to your wheel changing woes.

DavidK
05-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Confused why you want Lightweights but consider them a second choice to ADAs?

Two riders I know have Lightweights ;)
Most riders I know have Mavics.

I hate following the herd, even if it is the best choice. It's my rebellious streak :rolleyes:

After all of the comfort, feel, responsiveness and technical stuff is taken care of, I want to be rolling along feeling a little different.

Rover-Rich
05-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Don't rule out Zipp rims built with Tune or White Industries new hubs.

Well said Zap, Zipps with Tune hubs / CX sapim spokes, all black and pull off the decals from the wheels and you have a GREAT performing, super tricked out set of wheels. Ask Ergott about them. :banana:

malcolm
05-27-2006, 01:26 PM
I have a set of zipp 285 pave rims built up by our own ergott and they are beautiful and silly light. They are still awaiting there madien voyage, which will occur next week. I would talk to him and see what his wait is. I'm sure he can ship them to you.

DavidK
05-27-2006, 01:57 PM
I've PM'd Ergott. This place is sooo incestuous ;)

A quick Google did reveal a set of Zipp 285's paired with some bright red Tune's that looked luscious. They would certainly remove my feeling about Zipp hubs being cheaply put together. They were only 1106 grams too, which is *very* respectable!

iPaul
05-27-2006, 01:58 PM
There seems to be an almost infinite number of choices for purchasing wheels nowadays, and to be honest I haven't been able to really penetrate my way through the range of choices.

What about the new carbon Rolf's? These are one wheel I would love to give a go, and they don't seem over sold.

SoCalSteve
05-27-2006, 02:12 PM
I've PM'd Ergott. This place is sooo incestuous ;)

A quick Google did reveal a set of Zipp 285's paired with some bright red Tune's that looked luscious. They would certainly remove my feeling about Zipp hubs being cheaply put together. They were only 1106 grams too, which is *very* respectable!

You've made the RIGHT decision. Now go drink the Kool Aid!!!

Good luck with whichever you decide. You will not go wrong with a set of Ergott wheels.

Steve

malcolm
05-27-2006, 02:52 PM
My zipps are laced to dt swiss hubs. There used to be a pic up on ergotts web site of a very similar wheel, although I'm sure he can build whatever you wish. I've been very pleased with him, honest, knowledgeable overall a great experience. By the way I don't know him other than here and I'm in no way affiliated, just a satisfied customer. As an aside I've had good experiences with Mike Garcia and Dave Thomas as well. Good luck, Malcolm

djg
05-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Jeeze, I could be wrong, but it just doesn't seem to me that you want one and only one wheelset. Are you going to spring for ADAs, learn to glue them properly, and then put light road racing tires on for commuting or heavier tires on for all around this and that or reglue tires each ride?

If you've found your way to ergott, you probably have come to realize that the factory bling look is entirely compatible with the notion of having wheels built up for you. It's worth considering whether you are getting one set or two.

For all around good wheels, available in clincher or tubby, campagnolo neutron and campagnolo eurus seem to me to be very good choices. I have nucleon tubbies and eurus clinchers and they are both very good all around wheelsets. I think that you'll look sharp enough for your aesthetic purposes and I know that they're good wheels.

I think that the best ride and the best tires come from high quality tubulars. There's a bit of a learning curve here, and you're either happy to climb it or not. But it's not rocket science, and if you read and listen a bit, and go slowly and systematically with your first efforts (AND pre-stretch your tires), you'll get it. If you don't want to, you don't, and might as well face it.

For one, single, all-around wheelset, for your purposes, I'd be inclined to get something with a machined alloy braking surface if I were to get carbon at all--you talk about commuting in town, which seems like a lot of changing of special brake pads and such if you get real carbon race wheels (and a nasty expense if you find the wrong pot hole). For that, especially if you are not willing to commit to riding tubbies, it seems to me that you should reconsider mavic, as they offer a high quality deep section wheel with a machined alloy braking surface and, if you want, they offer it in a clincher configuration.

If you are going ahead with the zipp rims and a custom build, I'd add, according to what you want to spend, something from campagnolo (zonda or proton or nucleon or eurus) to satisfy your desire to have something that looks a certain way while remaining practical for your daily commute.

Looking forward to the pics.

Fixed
05-27-2006, 07:44 PM
bro a city like london and no wheel builder ?. that's weird ..i.m.h.o.
cheers

Grant McLean
05-27-2006, 07:53 PM
I think those Fulcrum racing speed wheels are all that, and a bag of chips.

Speaking of London...
anyone else check out the condor cycles site?

www.condorcycles.com

http://www.condorcycles.com/showBike.php?id=50

Apparently, "lugged steel bikes are back in vogue"... see your
newstand, and pick up a copy.

g

shinomaster
05-28-2006, 02:16 AM
I can tell you that Neutrons are great wheels..Hyperons are just neutrons with carbon rims and 400 grams less rotating weight. They seems to be what all the campy sponsored pros use, even sprinters like McEwen. Neutrons are pretty Bomb-proof, and smooth and they are quick to take off.