PDA

View Full Version : Rotor question for disc newbie

oldfatslow
12-04-2015, 10:31 AM
I have a set of TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes which use 203mm rotors on the bike in question.

Can I use a a set of Magura 203mm rotors with the Spyres or do I have to use the TRP specific rotors (net, is there something proprietary about disc brake rotors and thus they must match the make/model of brake or is it that so long as the size is correct you are good to go)?

CiclistiCliff
12-04-2015, 10:36 AM
As long as you've got the right adapter for the rotor diameter, you're golden. Also, don't use any washers/spacers between the adapter and caliper.

What is this bike of yours that has a 203 rotor and spyres?

tigoat
12-04-2015, 10:39 AM
I have not tried all the brands out there but most rotors across different makes should be in compatible with each other. The TRP Spyre is for a 140mm rotor by default so you will need a taller adaptor to push it out for the 203mm rotor.

oldfatslow
12-04-2015, 10:44 AM
The bike is a 29r adventure tandem with drop bars and Ultegra 10 shifting. We installed the Spyres when we shifted to drop bars as the no one officially trusts hydraulic road stuff with tandems as of yet.

We have it set and working great.

But... we are putting together a 2nd set of wheels on which we can mount some much thinner road tires (think 32mm Gatorskins) for high speed pavement use. I already have a set of 203mm Rotors -- just want to make sure I can use them.