PDA

View Full Version : RIP Scott Weiland :(

texbike
12-04-2015, 09:42 AM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scott-weiland-dead-at-48-20151204

Kinda surprised that he made it as long as he did...

Texbike

earlfoss
12-04-2015, 09:46 AM
I remember seeing some recent concert footage of him and it was really sad. He was pretty obviously whacked out on something and totally incoherent. I hope his family and friends are okay and find some peace.

tiretrax
12-04-2015, 09:46 AM
I just saw that story. It's very sad, especially for his family. RIP.

Bob Ross
12-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Kinda surprised that he made it as long as he did...

In all honestly I was shocked to find out that he was still alive up until now. Coulda sworn he bought the farm years ago.

Tickdoc
12-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Very sad. Very talented and a kind guy. He seemed to always be trying to get his ····· back in order.

RIP, dude.

William
12-04-2015, 09:56 AM
In all honestly I was shocked to find out that he was still alive up until now. Coulda sworn he bought the farm years ago.

I thought the same thing.

RIP

William

fa63
12-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Back around year 2003 or 2004, I was in college at the University of South Florida in Tampa, and remember getting a last minute announcement (like a couple hours before) saying that STP would play a show on campus. We thought it was probably BS or a cover band, but we went there anyways, waited a little bit, and low and behold there was Scott Weiland and crew. I remember the show being pretty good to boot.

RIP.

azrider
12-04-2015, 10:43 AM
Purple was the soundtrack to the summer after my senior year of high school.....Vaseline, Big Empty, or any other track from that album puts me in passenger seat of my buddies car on the way to nowhere and everywhere.

RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqyposaQWnI

http://static.stereogum.com/blogs.dir/2/files/2014/06/Purple.jpg

merlincustom1
12-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Best frontman. RIP Scott.

veloduffer
12-04-2015, 01:35 PM
STP had a great sound and were not you're run of the mill metal band. Weiland was a great front man with some cool moves.

William
12-04-2015, 01:37 PM
STP had a great sound and were not you're run of the mill metal band. Weiland was a great front man with some cool moves.

http://publicolegiocv.es/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/LIKE-ROCK.jpg

William

jonnyBgood
12-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Yeah it's too bad he was an amazing singer...

Stone Temple Pilots was the first band I saw play at Red Rocks when I moved to Colorado years and years ago

pakora
12-04-2015, 04:12 PM
According to wikipedia he had bipolar.

Sad to see another person with mental health issues go before their time.

ptourkin
12-04-2015, 04:28 PM
They were always hated down here in San Diego. Sort of moved down when we were "the next Seattle" in a bid for attention that they weren't getting as run of the mill up in LA. Much resented. Were they grunge or glam or just trying to get signed?

Mikej
12-04-2015, 05:30 PM
Pretty good sound for mainstream back then - I saw the butthole surfers open for them in 93 or 94- Gibby "accidentally" (?) started the set on fire. I mean it was a crazy amount of pyro and I thought he's gonna burn this place down...
He did-thank God it was outdoors-

I was actually stationed in Pendleton in early 93 and remember the bitching- Eddie Vedder started it-cuz Pearl JAm was sooo Alternative

ptourkin
12-04-2015, 06:11 PM
It was the local bands who were active in the scene that was being hyped. STP got themselves nominated for the San Diego Music Awards but had never even played at the Casbah or any of the other local venues that were part of that scene. It may have been petty, but regional scenes are like that and it was a brief moment when down here was more important than Hollywood for those kind of bands. The original band, Mighty Joe Young did have a vague relationship with SD, but STP was more of a mercenary thing made up in Hollywood.

cfox
12-04-2015, 10:16 PM

I thought the same thing.

RIP

William
I did too...I always get STP mixed up with Alice in Chains (whose lead singer died of an OD over 10 years ago)

cmg
12-04-2015, 11:10 PM
saw them back when STP's 2nd record came out. they were touring with Primus and Helmet. went to the show to see Helmet. had heard them but didn't know who they were. Thought they were better than Primus. thought they should've been headlining. Had free tickets to Velvet Revolver about 10 years later but for some reason i didn't go. too bad.

merlincustom1
12-05-2015, 04:09 AM
^ Same here. I saw them open for the Chili Peppers in 2000 after a long hiatus when No.4 came out. They were better than the Peppers.