PDA

View Full Version : Help! I'm addicted to Corsa CX tires!

Lewis Moon
12-04-2015, 08:34 AM
In an effort to make my new (old) Atlanta shine in the best light from the get go, I broke every rule of fiscal discipline and bought a set of Vit. Corsa CX tires in the 25mm flavor.
Wow.
Wow wow wow.

I'm addicted. They are WAY comfy and seem to roll forever. However, this addiction is completely unsustainable. I commute and just basically ride a lot of miles on my road bike. I'm really not up for riding around on Ferrari tires with a Yugo budget. knowing these are one panic stop, one broken bottle, one crappy pothole away from the trash bin eats at the soul.
Are there any cheap a$$ tires out there in 25 c that roll/handle/punch well above their price?

FlashUNC
12-04-2015, 08:36 AM
I've always been pleasantly surprised by Kenda's road tires. Not exactly huge name recognition, but I think they make a pretty decent tire for the money.

Tickdoc
12-04-2015, 08:38 AM
just bought a pair of open corsa cx's from comp. cyc. for $36 each ;~)

sandyrs
12-04-2015, 08:39 AM
In an effort to make my new (old) Atlanta shine in the best light from the get go, I broke every rule of fiscal discipline and bought a set of Vit. Corsa CX tires in the 25mm flavor.
Wow.
Wow wow wow.

I'm addicted. They are WAY comfy and seem to roll forever. However, this addiction is completely unsustainable. I commute and just basically ride a lot of miles on my road bike. I'm really not up for riding around on Ferrari tires with a Yugo budget. knowing these are one panic stop, one broken bottle, one crappy pothole away from the trash bin eats at the soul.
Are there any cheap a$$ tires out there in 25 c that roll/handle/punch well above their price?

How about that very same tire for $70/pair?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/tyres-twinpack-deals-vittoria-open-corsa-cx-twinpack2/vitttyrf262

mg2ride
12-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Wow.
Wow wow wow.

I got 2 pairs of 25mm, lightly used Corsa right here on this forum for $75 shipped this past some.

They also are on an Atlanta and I also love them!

ceolwulf
12-04-2015, 08:49 AM
I find Rubino Pros are surprisingly close to Corsas.

Lewis Moon
12-04-2015, 09:12 AM

These are tires I'm looking at. They often come up for sale in my price range.

oldpotatoe
12-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Wow.
Wow wow wow.

Corsa Elite..little less TPI and butyl tube..great tires.

Corsa CX is a tubular, Open Corsa CX is a clincher.

Lewis Moon
12-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Corsa Elite..little less TPI and butyl tube..great tires.

Corsa CX is a tubular, Open Corsa CX is a clincher.

http://uploads.neatorama.com/images/posts/50/72/72050/1400127270-0.jpg

heh...lucky you're not a grammar nazi.

(stated with all due respect, love and kitten kisses)

Bim
12-04-2015, 10:38 AM
They were $29each @velomine last week.

I too, love the 25c Corsas. I had them on my Extralight but I took them off temporarily and replaced with old/cracked GP4000s for roller duty.

Tony
12-04-2015, 10:51 AM

I have both on similar wheelsets. Rubino's are nice, last longer than the Corsas. I'm not sure if they're close to the Corsas in ride quality, but still a great tire for the money.

rccardr
12-04-2015, 11:14 AM
I did back to back testing with Open Corsa CX's vs. Rubino Pro III's. My posterior detected no difference whatsoever, and lap/loop times were identical. As a result, I've swapped over all of my bikes that were previously on CX's to Rubino Pro III's.

And, should also add, even though I ride between 5-6000 miles per year, have not had a flat in over 6 months, whereas with the CX's I would flat every couple hundred miles, if not more.

Plus, if you buy in the UK while on sale, they cost about $22 each with free shipping if you buy over a hundred bucks. Buy six tires, you're good.

bobswire
12-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Wow.
Wow wow wow.

The Panaracer gravel king in 26c are very nice as well as Vittoria Rubino Pro that can be found for under $23. http://www.ebay.com/itm/371337538014?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=640454134844&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

jmal
12-04-2015, 11:35 AM
While they don't feel as nice and supple as open corsas, rubino pro slicks are pretty decent tires and seems to hold up well for a tire that doesn't ride like a brick.

nooneline
12-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Oof, I disagree that the Rubino Pro comes close to the Open Corsas.

I would say that the Clement Strada LGG in 120tpi comes a little bit closer.

Take a look at Specialized tires, too. The 120tpi Turbo is very very nice.

bobswire
12-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Oof, I disagree that the Rubino Pro comes close to the Open Corsas.

I would say that the Clement Strada LGG in 120tpi comes a little bit closer.

Take a look at Specialized tires, too. The 120tpi Turbo is very very nice.

Rubino Pro III are 150 TPI and ride very nice.

nooneline
12-04-2015, 11:49 AM
oh dang, i stand corrected - I missed that they had a III model. Thanks for the info!

krhea
12-04-2015, 01:39 PM
Rubino Pro III are 150 TPI and ride very nice.

Agree. Have them on 3 or 4 bikes and they ride great.

thegunner
12-04-2015, 02:39 PM
IIRC i hated the open corsa CX's every time it rained. i'd get out of saddle from stoplights and find the rearwheel losing all traction.

is this a common thing? or am i the only one who has this problem?

ceolwulf
12-04-2015, 02:55 PM
^ too much power!

thegunner
12-04-2015, 03:03 PM
^ too much power!

said no one, ever, about me :)

jimoots
12-04-2015, 10:14 PM
I find conti gp4000s only marginally less supple/fast. But heaps more robust.

avalonracing
12-04-2015, 10:23 PM
Corsa CXs make $300 wheels feel like $800 wheels and the make $800 wheels feel like really nice $800 wheels because wheels shouldn't freaking cost more than $800.

Wakatel_Luum
12-05-2015, 06:09 AM
Vittoria are nice...Veloflex are nicer... ;)

jr59
12-05-2015, 09:05 AM
resistance is futile!

tuscanyswe
12-05-2015, 09:07 AM
I find conti gp4000s only marginally less supple/fast. But heaps more robust.

+1

Best all around tire there is imo.