PDA

View Full Version : 32-38 clinchers?

mecse
12-03-2015, 08:34 PM
So, last year I ran 28mm grand prix 4 seasons on my cx bike during the year. It was lovely, but could be lovelier? This coming year, after the thaw, I figured i'd go fatter.

my cx bike can comfortably clear 38mm, but i'm not sure it's a good idea.?

So, I ask you : If you were riding in an urban place, NYC, and wanted 32s or up to 38s... what would you ride?

So far, I have 3 candidates i've thought of:

Challenge Bianca Strada
Compass Loup Loup Pass (or Barlow Pass)
Continental Gatorskins

vav
12-03-2015, 08:36 PM
38s

simonov
12-03-2015, 08:57 PM
There's no list that should have both Compass and Gatorskins. Go with the Compass if you want a nice ride. Go with the Gatorskins if you never want to flat.

jtakeda
12-03-2015, 08:59 PM
There's no list that should have both Compass and Gatorskins. Go with the Compass if you want a nice ride. Go with the Gatorskins if you never want to flat.

Ding ding! What are you using the bike for? What exactly is "urban riding" to you?
commute? Grocery bike? Beater?

mecse
12-03-2015, 09:14 PM

I know they're 2 very different tires. I'm stating i'm open to things!

Overall I'd be happier with more nice-riding, tbh.

palincss
12-03-2015, 09:22 PM
So, I ask you : If you were riding in an urban place, NYC, and wanted 32s or up to 38s... what would you ride?

Challenge Bianca Strada
Continental Gatorskins

It's been since something like 1955 that I last rode in NYC, and that was in a place that's long since been razed and rebuilt. What sort of road conditions characterize your "urban place"? Is it a Mad Max dystopic wasteland with glass, shrapnel and rubble lying in the roadway, so that armored treads are mandatory? Shell holes and chasms everywhere, like DC used to be in the early 1980s? Or are we just talking about your usual run of the mill OK asphalt with a few bumps, potholes and patches?

If you ride at night, 38s will give you an extra measure of safety over 32s to compensate for your not being able to see bumps and holes in the dark well enough to avoid them all.

I've never used the Strada Biancas but I have used Challenge Parigi Roubaix, which I have characterized as the most fragile tires ever made as well as the most difficult to install that I've ever seen. On pristine clean roads (rough but free of foreign debris) I'm lucky to get more than 300 miles between flats. If the SBs are like a fat version of the PRs they'd be one of my very last choices, especially now that it's December. It's much more pleasant (relatively) to fix flats when it's nice out than when your hands are freezing.

The Compass tires ride great and I use them on most of my bikes, and they are reasonably flat-resistant for a high performance tire, but they're far from armored so if that's really important they might not be the top choice.

R3awak3n
12-03-2015, 10:30 PM

I run compass tires in NYC, commute everyday on them, I think I have had 1 flat in the past year while in the city.

I say go for the compass and go as big as possible. I am ridding 48s in the city and I am so comfortable. Pothole? What pothole?

Spin
12-03-2015, 11:38 PM
32 is the largest I'd go. I've ridden 35s around the city and they're just too big.

For flat resistance, there is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

simonov
12-04-2015, 04:56 AM
I run compass tires in NYC, commute everyday on them, I think I have had 1 flat in the past year while in the city.

I say go for the compass and go as big as possible. I am ridding 48s in the city and I am so comfortable. Pothole? What pothole?

And there you go...nice ride and almost never flatting with the Compass. That's what I'd usually lean towards. Every time I try a super durable tire I hate them and end up giving them away. Gatorskins, Ruffy Tuffys...just terrible riding.

Coalfield
12-04-2015, 05:46 AM
32 is the largest I'd go. I've ridden 35s around the city and they're just too big.

For flat resistance, there is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

Put Marathon Plus on a tandem and for flat resistance they may be great, but they handle like crap. Bigger than your typical 32mm tire.

mecse
12-04-2015, 06:01 AM
And there you go...nice ride and almost never flatting with the Compass. That's what I'd usually lean towards. Every time I try a super durable tire I hate them and end up giving them away. Gatorskins, Ruffy Tuffys...just terrible riding.

To be honest I was leaning toward some thing like that. Nice but also not too many flats.

Seems like i'll ride their 32 or 38s "Barlow Pass" or "Stampede pass" .

I've ridden gatorskins (in 25s) before, and although they work and it's nice not to worry too much about flats, it just wasn't a super nice ride. "It worked. "

I placed the Challenge tires in there since I've really enjoyed their knobbies (on the bike right now) despite the incredibly tough initial mounting and figured their slicks may be similarly comfy.

48mm ... 650b in the city? Daaaaamn

palincss
12-04-2015, 06:46 AM

Why ever not? There may not be much chipseal in the city (a use case in which wide tires at low pressure really shine) but many cities have bumpy potholed roads. Some even have sections of cobblestone. Wide tires at low pressure excel there, too.

mecse
12-04-2015, 07:35 AM
Why ever not? There may not be much chipseal in the city (a use case in which wide tires at low pressure really shine) but many cities have bumpy potholed roads. Some even have sections of cobblestone. Wide tires at low pressure excel there, too.

I actaully can't say any reason why not. I'll be riding in the city on these too.

Surprising how few people I see on anything wider than 23mm in the city, given how many potholes and bumps there are.

gt eunuch
12-04-2015, 08:25 AM
Clement is supposed to have a Strada in 32mm wide soon. The 28's (120tpi) that I have mounted on some WTB i19 rims measure out to a full 32. I have put about 2k miles on those tires this year and they are awesome. Very fast, and comfortable, however the rear is fairly squared off at this point so it is almost time for replacement.

EDS
12-04-2015, 08:59 AM
So, last year I ran 28mm grand prix 4 seasons on my cx bike during the year. It was lovely, but could be lovelier? This coming year, after the thaw, I figured i'd go fatter.

Challenge Bianca Strada
Continental Gatorskins

Specialized has the Roubaix Pro in 700 x32
Clement has the Strada LGG in 700x32
Schwalbe has the G-One in 700x35/38

Vinci
12-04-2015, 09:04 AM
Unless you've got to have something lightweight, I cannot recommend Schwalbe's Marathon Supreme enough. They roll nice and they just ignore all the little bits of glass and wires that flatted the Gatorskins I used to use.

I've been using 35mm Marathon Supremes for several years of commuting now. They wear forever and I haven't had a flat in probably 3 years. Awesome tires.

nooneline
12-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Put Panaracer Pasela on the list. They have lots of sizes, are pretty cheap, thoroughly decent, and iirc come in a model called T-Serv that has additional flat protection if that's your pleasure.

Also come with a tan sidewall, which makes every bike look better.

v531xc
12-04-2015, 09:21 AM
I have all three tires on your list, and they're great.

The Challenge Strada Biancha are awesome, comfortable, and quick. Measure 31.8 on my Archetypes. In about 400 miles of riding, I've gotten a number of cuts and chips in them.

I'm going to throw on 28mm Gatorskins and fenders for the winter (on my road bike).

The Compass tires are similar to the Challenge, but I've noticed fewer cuts.

I'd add the Resist Nomad to your list. They're cheap, they ride well, are round, supple, and have decent flat resistance. I have them in 35mm on my cross bike and I like them a lot. They measure true at 35.2mm on A23 rims.

sparky33
12-04-2015, 09:37 AM
Clement has the Strada LGG in 700x32
Schwalbe has the G-One in 700x35/38

These will both supposedly be tubeless compatible which would be nice for flat prevention. Should be nice riding tires too!

Also, Paselas are still cheap, durable and roll nicely.

sandyrs
12-04-2015, 09:47 AM
How about trying the tubeless-approved 35mm Compass tires? And reporting back?

mecse
12-04-2015, 09:58 AM
How about trying the tubeless-approved 35mm Compass tires? And reporting back?

ooo, I didn't even read that fine print. You mean the Bon Jon Pass (https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/components/tires/700c/compass-700cx35-bon-jon-pass/)? This seems like an awesome awesome idea.

rkhatibi
12-04-2015, 04:06 PM
ooo, I didn't even read that fine print. You mean the Bon Jon Pass (https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/components/tires/700c/compass-700cx35-bon-jon-pass/)? This seems like an awesome awesome idea.

I've been commuting and bombing around SF on the Jon Bons and Trek Crockett CX bike for the last two month. Never think about the road any more. Also same weight as my 28c 4-seasons.

Should have moved to the big tires ages ago.

eBAUMANN
12-04-2015, 04:11 PM
totally overkill, but panaracer comet hard pack 38's are THE BEE'S KNEES.

seriously plush with a very fast rolling tread, GREAT for general trail riding.

really really fun tire, but probably more than needed...i just like to promote when i can cause barely anyone knows about em.

http://cx.cxmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/panaracer-comet-hard-pack-38c-nahbs-2015-cxmagazine-ayee-panaracer-comet-hard-pack-38c-nahbs-2015-cxmagazine-ayee-img_0188-edit_1.jpg

DFORD
12-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Gatorskins ride noticeably bad.

Challenge Bianca Strada
Continental Gatorskins

R3awak3n
12-04-2015, 04:56 PM
To be honest I was leaning toward some thing like that. Nice but also not too many flats.

Seems like i'll ride their 32 or 38s "Barlow Pass" or "Stampede pass" .

I've ridden gatorskins (in 25s) before, and although they work and it's nice not to worry too much about flats, it just wasn't a super nice ride. "It worked. "

I placed the Challenge tires in there since I've really enjoyed their knobbies (on the bike right now) despite the incredibly tough initial mounting and figured their slicks may be similarly comfy.

:) yes sir. I had 42s before and went to the new switchbacks and no regrets. I use that bike for my commute almost everyday, just did a 6 day tour, take it on gravel rides, they really are great tires and the whole compass tires = tons of flats is totally overblown. Sure they will flat more than say my michelin pro 4s but its something I am ok to deal with for the increase in comfort (and it does not happen that often)

Oh yeah, I love flying through the cobblestone streets in soho and tribeca.

exapkib
12-04-2015, 05:18 PM
+1

I ride a pair of the 2,0 (inches!) supremes as my 'slick' commuting tire (I rotate to a pair of Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Roads for knobby duty). The Schwalbes are fantastic tires.

Not light, not supple, but indestructible--with a much nicer ride than Gatorskins, in my opinion.

I've even ridden them on the occasional group ride, and the looks from fellow roadies are almost as much fun as the sensation of riding along on a cloud . . .

It has taken me some time to find pressures that I like for different applications, but the payoff is definitely worth it.

Unless you've got to have something lightweight, I cannot recommend Schwalbe's Marathon Supreme enough. They roll nice and they just ignore all the little bits of glass and wires that flatted the Gatorskins I used to use.

I've been using 35mm Marathon Supremes for several years of commuting now. They wear forever and I haven't had a flat in probably 3 years. Awesome tires.

sg8357
12-04-2015, 06:55 PM
More 700c Panaracers from Soma, 3 grades, some with steel beads.
Including 42c x 700c, I think the French Singularity has manifested.

http://store.somafab.com/sosuviex70ti.html

p nut
12-04-2015, 08:39 PM
More 700c Panaracers from Soma, 3 grades, some with steel beads.
Including 42c x 700c, I think the French Singularity has manifested.

http://store.somafab.com/sosuviex70ti.html

Thanks for posting this. I'll have to check them out in 38 size.

Lovetoclimb
12-04-2015, 08:43 PM
The Specialized Roubaix 25/28 has been so good for me that I plan to try the new 30/32 when it comes out. The bonuses include it having tan sidewalls and being tubeless capable where as the 25/28 lacked both of those features.

bicycletricycle
12-04-2015, 08:54 PM
700x35 Schwalbe marathon supremes never seem to get flats or wear out, ride is about what you would expect for these features, maybe better than gator skin , on the narrow side .

Panaracer tservs in 700x35 ride a little better but I tend to wear the sidewalk out before the tread.

These are both basically commuter/touring tires with kevlar beads, I have put a lot of urban miles on both, like schwalbe better, like them a lot for this kind of riding.

mecse
12-05-2015, 01:13 PM
totally overkill, but panaracer comet hard pack 38's are THE BEE'S KNEES.

seriously plush with a very fast rolling tread, GREAT for general trail riding.

really really fun tire, but probably more than needed...i just like to promote when i can cause barely anyone knows about em.

http://cx.cxmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/panaracer-comet-hard-pack-38c-nahbs-2015-cxmagazine-ayee-panaracer-comet-hard-pack-38c-nahbs-2015-cxmagazine-ayee-img_0188-edit_1.jpg

That looks like a great hardpack tread. I was more looking at slicks (from all other options) - most of the time this will be on NYC pavement.

Pretty, though.