PDA

View Full Version : Tire storage?

dolface
12-03-2015, 02:38 PM
Anyone have a tire-storage method they think works well?

I have about 15 sets of (mostly) tubeless MTB tires that I keep stored in a big plastic bin with a lid.

It works pretty well but isn't optimal as far as sorting/searching goes, any tips or suggestions for better methods would be most welcome!

Ken Robb
12-03-2015, 02:45 PM
I would sell any that I didn't think I would use in the next 3 years. Even if some that old would still be usable there will probably be new/improved tires available then.

dolface
12-03-2015, 03:47 PM
This is an excellent suggestion.

I would sell any that I didn't think I would use in the next 3 years. Even if some that old would still be usable there will probably be new/improved tires available then.

Ken Robb
12-03-2015, 05:21 PM
I think most experts agree that sunshine and ozone will hasten rubber's deterioration. It's easy to keep tires in a shady storage area but be aware that electric motors generate ozone so don't store the tires near a forced air furnace which has a fan.

Davist
12-03-2015, 06:15 PM
I had kept some tires I got on a "super close out" in a shed for 15-20 years, they were fine, and I was amazed when I sold them (to Ken Robb's point, I used other tires that were better) on Ebay for $150/pr! They were Specialized Ground Control Extreme 26x2.5, which if I remember right, was the tire they designed the clearance on the Fat Chance Yo Eddy bike, back in the day.. Anyway, a pleasant surprise. They didn't dry rot at all, somehow..

Mark McM
12-04-2015, 12:19 PM
I think most experts agree that sunshine and ozone will hasten rubber's deterioration. It's easy to keep tires in a shady storage area but be aware that electric motors generate ozone so don't store the tires near a forced air furnace which has a fan.

I don't think you have to worry about a furnace fan producing ozone. Ozone is produced by sparking of commutator brushes, but the circulating fan is more likely to be an induction motors, which has no brushes.

Jobst Brandt used to recommend putting tires in sealed plastic bags, and storing them in a freezer. I haven't stored tires in a freezer, but I have found that tires stored in sealed plastic bags and stored in a cool basement (and away from window sunlight) can last many years.

shovelhd
12-04-2015, 12:30 PM
I unfold them and hang them up inside a wire loop. The wire hangs off of a cold water pipe in the basement.

Hindmost
12-04-2015, 12:58 PM
I unfold them...

I have tubulars unfolded, stored flat, in large garbage bags in a closet. You have me thinking about my hoard of good-quality clinchers. How important do you think the unfolding is?

shovelhd
12-04-2015, 01:17 PM
I have my tubulars either mounted on wheels or stretched on old tubular rims. I don't know if it makes sense to hang up clinchers, I just do it. It does make it easy to find the one I am looking for.