PDA

View Full Version : Shoe decision

wdlewis
05-27-2006, 06:54 AM
My Ottrott ST is due to ship in about a week.

I decided to go with the Look Keo carbon/Ti pedals after reading a lot on this forum and handling the alternative pedals and talking to the folks at the shop.

My 15 year OLD Nike shoes were fitted for Shimano MB pedals and won't work with the Look pedals. Too bad because they were very comfortable.

I wear a narrow shoe, A or B width.

My riding will be toward the more relaxed end of the spectrum although my goal is to ride my age (62) within a couple of months. I've just re-entered bicycling after a 12 year break.

Is there a "BEST" shoe?

alancw3
05-27-2006, 07:04 AM
i like sidi genius shoes. they come in various widths which should accommodate your narrow foot. i use with speedplay pedals. the shoes are very comfortable and provide a very stiff pedal platform with no hot spots. i found the sidi website helpful in determining my size and then purchased on ebay. i wear a 13d and found the 48 to be a perfect fit. good luck with your search!

dirtdigger88
05-27-2006, 07:48 AM
I too am a "B" width shoe- the Sidi are what I found fit me the best-

dont go the carbon sole route- you dont need that-

the best part about Sidi- IMHO

I bought my shoes in 1999- or 2000- this spring I finally stripped a couple of the pieces inside my shoes that hold my cleats in place-

No problem- I ordered them from sidi (sidi actually GAVE me these) in addition I ordered one new buckle (but Sidi sent me two since the style is a bit different and they wanted them to match- they also came with new straps) and two new heal pads-

Now my 6- 7 year old shoes are a good as new- oh and I spent $40 total- Sidi rocks in my opinion for making the new parts fit the old shoes-

so did you follow me-

Buy Sidis

Jason

mike p
05-27-2006, 10:44 AM
I've always been a diadora fan but just got DMT RSX carbons. Great shoe but I got the wrong size. If anybody would like a pair of 46 DMT RSX carbons at a bargin 175 shipped let me know. I bought the same shoe again in proper size.
Mike

Kevin
05-27-2006, 01:48 PM
I have a B width.

Off the shelf - Sidis.

Custom - Rocket 7s.

Kevin

little.man
05-27-2006, 09:25 PM
I have a narrow foot also - B width - and Sidi works for me as well. I
remember trying on several different brands before trying on Sidi. Once
I tried them on though, I knew I what I was going to buy.

djg
05-27-2006, 09:48 PM
There's really no best shoe. Folks are pushing Sidi--it's not crazy. Sidi makes some nice shoes, they have a couple of different widths available, and the standard ones are a little on the narrow side--they might work for you. Still, there are all sorts of different feet out there and it really might pay to try some shoes on to see what fits you best. Go to the lbs (or the couple with better shoe selections) and try 'em on. If the local shops don't have much to offer, order several different sets of shoes from Performance or someplace like that (with a written, no hassle return policy), try them on at home, and send back the ones you don't like. Remember that the newer synthetics don't stretch nearly as much as leather, so a shoe that feels uncomfortably snug on day one might well feel that way a month or two down the road.