PDA

View Full Version : Leadville 100 MTB

TheEnglish
12-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Just signed up for the lottery and was wondering if any other Paceliners had the same sadistic thought. Has anyone on here done it in the past?
-e

gdw
12-02-2015, 02:38 PM
I raced it 8 times but retired after they increased the field to over 1200. It's a fun and challenging event for a new racer.

azrider
12-02-2015, 02:52 PM
Leadville. Ugh. I raced one of their "feeder" races and qualified three years ago. The cool part was Choubler was there that day and gave me a coin and an envelope that contained a link that would allow me entry to that years race or I could defer to '14. The link was valid for 24hrs only so I had to make decision....it was very mission impossible-esque.

I deferred to '14, and trained my arse off. I even traveled to Austin to do the Austin Rattler to get a better corral time. (I missed GOLD corral by :16 seconds.......six-teen-mf-seconds) Then, a month out from race-day, I broke my hand in two places and called Abby to see what my options were. (yes, believe it or not, there is one girl who essentially manages the entry of thousands of participants) Turns out my entry could be deferred, but not $$$. So I ponied up and paid for this years.

Wouldn't you know it......some family issues prompted me to miss out on this years also. So now, as it stands, I've paid close to $700 dollars to the Leadville race and haven't even stepped foot on the course.

But yeah, I entered lottery :p:p:p

jmal
12-02-2015, 02:53 PM
Not thinking about Leadville, but I am dumb enough to think I might enter the Shenandoah Mountain 100. Good luck if you get an entry.

likebikes
12-02-2015, 03:04 PM
if you get selected in the lottery, how much is the entry fee?

TheEnglish
12-02-2015, 03:04 PM
AZRIDER,
My wife ran the trail run and I was so impressed by how personal the whole experience was and this was after Lifetime bought the event. I can and do believe that just one person handles all the issues. Also, much of the money goes back into the town of Leadville. The amount of scholarships that they give out to kids in that town is amazing (it's the whole reason the race started). I know it's not much a help to have $700 gone, but after seeing and hearing how that race has given back, I will happily support it.
-e

HenryA
12-02-2015, 05:45 PM
I did the 50 a few years ago. Or I should say part of it. (I had crashed hard earlier in the week and just could not stand the pounding any more after about half way) The trails are trails you'd never pick to MTB for fun. I was probably the oldest rider there.

Its tough and hard for sure. A pure riot in the beginning with the huge crowd starting. I passed many, many hundreds of riders by riding around the clot they formed at any slight bottleneck. There were loads of MTB "enthusiasts" and never really saw any "elite" riders who all started first.

I've thought about going back, but then I think about how much fun it is to ride on nice Colorado mountain trails and kick back over a beer and burger.

Anyone who goes there will want to be in tip-top shape for it to be any fun at all. Don't go half prepared.

gdw
12-02-2015, 06:22 PM
The 100 isn't a technical race, it's mainly on dirt roads with some pavement. The descent down the Powerline is rutted and can be dangerous if you take the wrong line but the altitude and climbs are what makes it difficult.

jonnyBgood
12-02-2015, 07:40 PM
I've done it twice. Hardest race I have ever signed up for.

I said to myself that I would never do it again because there are sooo many people out there but.....:D

bcroslin
12-02-2015, 11:06 PM
I've done the Austin Rattler twice and got a Leadville coin this year but had to skip it due to my daughter leaving for college the same weekend. I'll be back in Austin this year to try again. It's one of those things that I'm not entirely sure I want to do but if I qualify I'll do it just so I never have to do it again. 😜

bcroslin
12-02-2015, 11:08 PM
if you get selected in the lottery, how much is the entry fee?

$450 if I remember correctly

gdw
12-02-2015, 11:14 PM
$15 for the lottery, $345 entry fee if you get selected.

crossjunkee
08-04-2016, 09:28 AM
Who is in for the race this year? It's my first "attempt". I'm in the second to last corral (blue). I've also heard there are over 2000 riders this year! Not looking forward to the bottle neck on the first climb. The first 4 hour time cut will be hard to make if I'm forced to walk that early.

verbeke06
08-04-2016, 11:06 AM
Read that Joe Dombrowski from Cannondale is going to race Leadville this year. I can't remember many current pro roadies racing Leadville, but he got his start in MTB so he could and will probably take the win.

crossjunkee
08-04-2016, 11:19 AM
Read that Joe Dombrowski from Cannondale is going to race Leadville this year. I can't remember many current pro roadies racing Leadville, but he got his start in MTB so he could and will probably take the win.

Do you think he can take Alban Lakata? He has major team support with Topeak / Ergon, and Dave Wiens. His finish last year in just under 6 hours was nothing short of amazing. I'm just hoping to be a little more than halfway in 6 hours!

gdw
08-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Don't worry about hiking St Keevins. The folks in the mob trying to ride the first section before the hard left turn only average about 2.5-3 mph. A strong hiker can pass quite a few of those riders struggling to keep upright.

How did you do in the Silver Rush?

misterha
08-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Do you think he can take Alban Lakata? He has major team support with Topeak / Ergon, and Dave Wiens. His finish last year in just under 6 hours was nothing short of amazing. I'm just hoping to be a little more than halfway in 6 hours!

Joe D is racing in Utah right now at altitude so depends on how Alban Lakata deals with it this year imo. Joe's also been riding his mountain bike a lot since being home.

crossjunkee
08-04-2016, 12:08 PM
Don't worry about hiking St Keevins. The folks in the mob trying to ride the first section before the hard left turn only average about 2.5-3 mph. A strong hiker can pass quite a few of those riders struggling to keep upright.

How did you do in the Silver Rush?

That's good to know. I plan to go out harder than I normally would to get in front of people. For some reason all the people has me freaked out. I don't like big organized rides because people are all over the place. Throw in some altitude and they get worse! I'll be close to the 4 hour mark if everything goes perfect. It's strange they have the first cutoff at 4 hours, which is a 10mph average, but then it drops to around 9.4mph after the first cut.

I didn't have a great SR50. I think the heat got me early. I should probably be deferring my entry this year to next. I don't want to pay the money again. I'm going to give the Barn Burner a go in Sept. I hear it's pretty easy to get a coin there. If not, I've got Austin, SR50, and Stage Race next year to get in. We both know it's is next to impossible for CO resident to get in through the lottery, but I'll still donate my $15 to try.

azrider
08-04-2016, 11:17 PM
I'm going to give the Barn Burner a go in Sept. I hear it's pretty easy to get a coin there.

Hahaha.....I'm saving this for posterity. Good luck !! :p

crossjunkee
08-05-2016, 10:22 AM
Hahaha.....I'm saving this for posterity. Good luck !! :p

Do you feel that isn't true? There were only 167 finishers in 2014 and 185 in 2013 for the solo, 104 mile race. I'd say the chance of getting a coin is pretty good compared to the Rattler and SR50.

AngryScientist
08-05-2016, 10:27 AM
what does it mean to "get a coin"?

crossjunkee
08-05-2016, 10:40 AM
what does it mean to "get a coin"?

Top spots in each division get a coin for automatic entry into the LT100, so you can skip the lottery. If the people in the top spots pass on the coins they continues to roll down until somebody claims them. It also means you most likely bump up a corral spot or two with your finishing time.

http://www.leadvilleraceseries.com/mtb/leadvilletrail100mtb/qualificationsystem/

If you don't earn a top qualifying spot you throw your number into a drawing after the race and hope and pray it's called. If it's called you get a coin.

Races like the Austin Rattler have 575 finishers, so the odds of getting a coin are pretty slim. But, when there are less than 200 racers, the odds are pretty good!

AngryScientist
08-05-2016, 10:42 AM
ahh, i see.

i'm not a mtb guy, but this race intrigues me. i'm going to do some reading...

azrider
08-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Do you feel that isn't true? There were only 167 finishers in 2014 and 185 in 2013 for the solo, 104 mile race. I'd say the chance of getting a coin is pretty good compared to the Rattler and SR50.

I personally think a lot of it depends on the conditions. With sunny skies and good course conditions it's a great track. If its dry as hell and you get dusty conditions it's simply miserable and a race of attrition. I've blown brown soot out of my nose for weeks after when it was dusty conditions and if it downpours watch out....that's the worst of all.

I certainly wasn't making a dig at your ability. After reading my response I see how that could be case. My comment was more about out of towners uttering those same sentiments and then being totally shell shocked once they get here and experience it for themselves.

Either way....best of luck at Leadville!!

Barn Burner few years ago :eek:

AngryScientist
08-05-2016, 10:51 AM
is the challenge of the leadville race related to the elevation and climbing? all the pictures i can see look like the terrain is not all that technical?

doable by a strong roadie/mtb novice on a hardtail?

edit: not that I would attempt this anytime soon, or downplaying the epicness of the race, just curious...

crossjunkee
08-05-2016, 10:52 AM
I personally think a lot of it depends on the conditions. With sunny skies and good course conditions it's a great track. If its dry as hell and you get dusty conditions it's simply miserable and a race of attrition. I've blown brown soot out of my nose for weeks after when it was dusty conditions and if it downpours watch out....that's the worst of all.

I certainly wasn't making a dig at your ability. After reading my response I see how that could be case. My comment was more about out of towners uttering those same sentiments and then being totally shell shocked once they get here and experience it for themselves.

Either way....best of luck at Leadville!!

Barn Burner few years ago :eek:

Same. I love to ride with people from sea level, haha! I'm looking forward to it. I've also never been to Flagstaff, so that will be cool.

Are you going to be there this year? Where is the best place to stay?

crossjunkee
08-05-2016, 11:00 AM
is the challenge of the leadville race related to the elevation and climbing? all the pictures i can see look like the terrain is not all that technical?

doable by a strong roadie/mtb novice on a hardtail?

edit: not that I would attempt this anytime soon, or downplaying the epicness of the race, just curious...

You should do it. For the experience alone. Leadville has an energy like no other race. Also, since you don't live in CO your lottery chances are very good!

The terrain is not technical at all. A couple spots on Columbine get rocky, and the bottom of Powerline is steep with a lot of ruts. A strong roadie does quite well. The elevation and relentless climbing is my biggest challenge. Even the relatively flat parts of the course are hard for me because I'm killing myself trying to make up the time I lost on the climbs. There is zero resting.

I've also heard the Wilmington Whiteface is a great race too. All of the races in the Leadville Race Series are good.

azrider
08-05-2016, 11:10 AM

Ha. When people ask me best way to train for Barn Burner I tell them "spread some dirt on your driveway and ride back n forth over it". It's honestly the most 'roadie' like MTB course I've ever ridden. 80% fire road, 15% flatish singletrack, and 5% technical. I've even pacelined through 30% of course.

Same. I love to ride with people from sea level, haha! I'm looking forward to it. I've also never been to Flagstaff, so that will be cool.

Are you going to be there this year? Where is the best place to stay?

You will most certainly be at an advantage coming from CO. Disregard my earlier comments :D:D

No unfortunately this is the first year I will "NOT" be riding. I still may go and support some of my buddies but I'm still healing from being hit by car in May. As for best place to stay: I've tent camped, Motorhome camped, and stayed at family friends house smack dab downtown. Of those Motorhome-ing is the best. Race weekend there is a small town that gets created on this guys land and the vibe is pretty cool. Plus they have a band and beer during awards and you don't want to be driving anywhere after that. :D

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/120602_barn-burner_001.jpg

This kind of gives you a clue as to the hecticness of the start. I'm the turd at :30 in red who is already on my bike and dodging people......God I hate lemans starts....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VlTLHeabFQ

azrider
08-05-2016, 11:12 AM
All of the races in the Leadville Race Series are good.

Austin Rattler blows atmo. Two years ago it was great course, but then they added about 8 miles of zig zag singletrack this year and it bottlenecks at every turn and the flow is TERRIBLE.

Never again.

gdw
08-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Angry
Altitude, climbing, and the weather make Leadville challenging. The course isn't very technical but has some difficult sections. A roadie/MTB novice can do it but their lack of basic skills can slow down experienced riders and possibly endanger others especially on the Columbine and the power line descents. I stopped racing the event after being rammed twice in 2009 and having my rear derailleur damaged on St Keevins by an overly aggressive rookie. The guy wasn't confident or skilled enough to take a rougher line to pass me and too stupid to realize the course was too mobbed at that point to gain any ground.

crossjunkee
08-05-2016, 12:08 PM
Austin Rattler blows atmo. Two years ago it was great course, but then they added about 8 miles of zig zag singletrack this year and it bottlenecks at every turn and the flow is TERRIBLE.

Never again.

I didn't get there this year. I agree, two years ago the course was OK. Minus all the mud.