PDA

View Full Version : Anyone riding a full carbon saddle?

FastforaSlowGuy
12-02-2015, 11:11 AM
I've seen these from boutique-y brands (Tune, Mcfk, Berk), but does anyone actually ride one? Berk is doing custom stuff with cutouts, etc, but how comfortable can something like this actually be after an hour?

Bob Ross
12-02-2015, 11:33 AM
how comfortable can something like this actually be after an hour?

I still remember the comment made by a guy I met on a group ride 9 or 10 years ago, when the first all-carbon superlight saddles started appearing. Since it looked to me like a thin piece of hard plastic I asked him essentially your question, "how comfortable can something like this actually be for a long ride?"

His response was priceless: "Oh, I can ride all day on this thing

...but the next day, forget it!"

rain dogs
12-02-2015, 11:41 AM
I do.

It's great, best saddle I have owned. Been riding it for about 4 years. Selle Italia C60 Quattro (essentially a SLR).

Most i've done on it is ~330km in one day. About 560km back to back over two. Milan to Marsielle.

the key for me is that it's slippery like a Brooks. YMMV.

numbskull
12-02-2015, 12:15 PM
the key for me is that it's slippery like a Brooks. YMMV.

Interesting observation. That something I like about a Brooks as well.

kramnnim
12-02-2015, 12:20 PM
I've been using an SLR with no cover on my indoor trainer bike, did a couple of 4-5 hours rides and it's been fine. Not sure if outdoors with bumpy roads is better or worse than on a trainer with no coasting breaks...?

FastforaSlowGuy
12-02-2015, 01:25 PM
I've been using an SLR with no cover on my indoor trainer bike, did a couple of 4-5 hours rides and it's been fine. Not sure if outdoors with bumpy roads is better or worse than on a trainer with no coasting breaks...?

You did a 5 hour ride on the trainer?! I'm not sure how I should weight your opinions on what is, or is not, comfortable.

AngryScientist
12-02-2015, 01:33 PM
You did a 5 hour ride on the trainer?! I'm not sure how I should weight your opinions on what is, or is not, comfortable.

forget about comfortable. anyone who can sit on an indoor trainer for 5 hours is insane.

54ny77
12-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Good friend of mine has all-carbon saddle from a German shop (forget the name), he's had it for a few years now. Rides on it every day and all races too (same bike). How, I have no idea, but he loves it, said it's more comfortable than any saddle he's ever used. Note: he's light, maybe 140.

I sat on it, but very briefly....because I exceeded the weight limit!

I'll take my Aliante barcalounger, thank you. :hello:

zap
12-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Long time AX Lightness Apollo user.

For me its the best saddle......compared to Aliante, Toupe, Bont Seranno and especially the Romin saddles.

What's nice about these saddles is that they don't wear out.

Modern diaper bibs makes bare carbon composite saddles comfortable for multi day use.

Note......I don't ride multiple hours on a trainer ;)

denapista
12-02-2015, 01:58 PM
people swear there's 4 inches of padding on a padded saddle. In reality there isn't. Saddle comfort comes down to shape and your seat bones, that's it. A carbon saddle will hurt and a padded saddle will hurt. I've gotted saddle sores from Tune Vom korr saddle and padded Fizik saddles. It's all about the shape.

Invest in a quality set of bibs and any saddle that works with your butt will be fine. Don't buy crappy bibs with crappy chamois. That's the key.

kramnnim
12-02-2015, 04:41 PM
forget about comfortable. anyone who can sit on an indoor trainer for 5 hours is insane.

http://www.zwift.com !

54ny77
12-02-2015, 04:45 PM
if you can tell me what or where that website says how much the service is, i'll mail you a smiley face sticker.

there's no mention of pricing that i can find.

i just got the stuff i need to set up trainer and wifi interface (on a tv, via chromecast), and am very curious about this zwift thing.

brockd15
12-02-2015, 04:53 PM
I've never ridden one but have heard them compared to leather saddles, which also seem like they should be torture to ride based on the lack of padding and hardness of the leather.

SPOKE
12-02-2015, 05:06 PM
I've got a first generation Carbon SLR on my first generation Ottrott that has the full Ti rear triangle. I find the saddle to be comfortable. It was my daily rider for about 18 months. The problem that you can have is if the saddle gets snuffed on the edges. When this happens then it can really tear up your shorts. Usually an easy fix with some fine emory paper and clear touch up paint.
I've found that the shape and amount of flex a saddle base has is far more important than the type and amount of padding put on top of it.

thegunner
12-02-2015, 05:07 PM

i've seen you blow by me. didn't realize you were in the middle of a 5 hour session...

jdp211
12-02-2015, 05:38 PM
I rode a Tune Speedneedle for a few seasons, which admittedly has a thin bit of padding, but is effectively a bare carbon saddle. For long rides it was excellent; I rode a number centuries, mixed surface rides, etc. without issue. I started riding the trainer seriously one winter and the lack of flex made it impossible for me to be comfortable riding the damn thing indoors.

Spin
12-02-2015, 06:43 PM
I ride on one, a 110g model. Modern shorts come with such nice padding that the padding on the saddle is superfluous.

kramnnim
12-02-2015, 09:11 PM
if you can tell me what or where that website says how much the service is, i'll mail you a smiley face sticker.

there's no mention of pricing that i can find.

i just got the stuff i need to set up trainer and wifi interface (on a tv, via chromecast), and am very curious about this zwift thing.

It's $10/month. You can ride 50km for free before having to pay. Your computer needs to be 64 bit and somewhat new, unless it is old and high end.

Happy to try to answer any questions; if you're on Facebook look for the Zwift Riders group.

kramnnim
12-02-2015, 09:12 PM
i've seen you blow by me. didn't realize you were in the middle of a 5 hour session...

What's your screen name there?

My long rides are all done quite slowly...

beeemmjay
12-02-2015, 09:19 PM
I rode the Tune Kom Vor for a couple of seasons after an SMP Evolution. Width wise comparable, but the Tune was actually much more compliant. Switched to a Brooks B15 Ti this past season for interest sake - not quite sold. Looking back, the Tune was great, but I agree, not on a trainer.

I rode a Tune Speedneedle for a few seasons, which admittedly has a thin bit of padding, but is effectively a bare carbon saddle. For long rides it was excellent; I rode a number centuries, mixed surface rides, etc. without issue. I started riding the trainer seriously one winter and the lack of flex made it impossible for me to be comfortable riding the damn thing indoors.

regularguy412
12-02-2015, 09:46 PM
Buddy of mine has ridden one for at least 5 or 6 years. However, he doesn't weigh more than a buck-60, if that. Says it's the most comfortable saddle he's ever had. Was right behind him one ride and he hit a pothole at about 28 mph. We both heard the 'CRACCK!'. He rode it back to the ride-start, but it was broken on one side. The fissure was about 2 cm long and radiated from where the right rail met the shell on the right rear side. He replaced it with a new one. I dunno the brand, but 'they ain't cheep'.

Mike in AR:beer:

R3awak3n
12-02-2015, 09:51 PM

I can maybe take 1 hour. I did 30 min on zwift today, was pretty cool and it does make you want to ride more but after about 10 minutes I just wanted to be done with it lol.

I rode a all carbon saddle, not for me but I think it will agree with some peoples butts, just like not all padded saddles are for me.